« Memories and lessons from Mumbai | Main | A date that will live in infamy... »

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Congratulations, it's a... Mac!

Last night it finally happened.  The blessed event we've been anticipating for many months now has come to pass:

We powered down the last remaining dinosaur Windows PC in the house, and in its place now sits a shiny new Mac Mini.

Here's a picture of the new arrival... along with the basic stats that the ladies always seem to hunger for:

Design_dimensions20060228_2

Zahava still has her tricked-out Mac desktop to do all her design work... I have the nice wide-screen Macbook Pro (which doubles as Zahava's presentation 'puter when she's meeting with clients on their turf)... Ariella has her very sleek and functional Mac Mini... and as of last night, Gilad has joined the Mac crew with a Mini of his own.

Gilad's new Mac Mini, complete with built in wireless and bluetooth, was a very generous Bar Mitzvah gift from his Aunts and Uncle.  It took him all of 10 minutes to completely forget that Windows ever existed, and he now has his Mac system completely customized and configured to suit his every whim.

I had to send him an Instant Message around 10:15PM last night to tell him to turn off the computer and go to bed (school night and all that), but I could tell he was supremely pleased with his blindingly fast new 'puter and couldn't really fault him for pushing the bed-time envelope.

I'm thinking of turning the old Windows PC into a planter... or better yet, hauling it down to the shooting range for target practice.  I'll keep you posted.

Posted by David Bogner on December 7, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Congratulations, it's a... Mac!:

Comments

If you need help executing those nefarious PC's, just holler.

Posted by: QuietusLeo | Dec 7, 2008 1:34:17 PM

Oh, the shooting range. Definitely :-)

Posted by: Ezer K'negdo | Dec 7, 2008 2:55:40 PM

All a Mac is, is the best GUI ever developed built on top of UNIX. Stable, bulletproof, will run under water. If you must run Windows, it is more stable in a virtual machine on a Mac than on a PC.

Congrats...

Posted by: Sam | Dec 7, 2008 4:40:21 PM

I'm gonna stake another one and play horseshoes.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 7, 2008 4:52:47 PM

I'm surprised you ever had a wintel machine in your home at all, and even more surprised that you admit it in such an open forum......Mmmmy Dddddaughter nnnnever had one of those things for four and a half years. Probably three of which it wouldn't behave. Just replaced it a year ago with a Macbook....never happpened. LOL

Posted by: another Sam(okay, Shmiel) | Dec 7, 2008 5:26:22 PM

Check out www.willitblend.com for other things to do with your old PC and other obsolete household items. Remember, always wear proper safety equipment.

Posted by: Alan T. | Dec 7, 2008 5:45:32 PM

Well done Mac Man! I've got a couple or three Macs around my home - but I will secretly admit to keeping an old Windows machine in a back room to keep my TomTom GPS updated and to let me put cool music onto my Nokia.

Posted by: superpharm | Dec 7, 2008 6:50:45 PM

Macs are overrated. They're good, but they are not as good as people say. The software doesn't seem to work as well as it does on my PC and they still have their moments.

More importantly, the difference in price is significant.

Anyhoo, Mazal Tov on the new slavemaster, that is what computers are, isn't it. ;)

Posted by: Jack | Dec 7, 2008 7:01:48 PM

Well done! I happen to work for a classy Apple retailer and I'm totally crazy about these machines. Wish I'd joined the Apple family years ago (first tried one in 1985 YIKES). I'm thinking of gutting my old CPU (metal Compaq)and using as a safe box for important paperwork.

Posted by: Noa | Dec 7, 2008 9:03:53 PM

Once you go mac, you never go back!

Posted by: Suri T. | Dec 7, 2008 9:08:05 PM

As the proud owner of MacBook Pro and past owner of an IMac, I can only congratulate the Bogners for this classy choice. Gilad is a lucky guy. I was about three times his age when I got my first Mac!

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Dec 7, 2008 10:06:29 PM

Long-time lurker from northern Jersey... We just took the plunge and bought our first Mac this week, when our laptop died. Glad to know we're in such good company!

Posted by: Elyssa | Dec 7, 2008 11:00:44 PM

Welcome to the family...

Posted by: What War Zone??? | Dec 8, 2008 12:00:54 AM

Nice addition to the family...

Jack, don't be jealous...maybe one day you'll be cool enough to get a Mac, too.

Posted by: tnspr569 | Dec 8, 2008 1:30:25 AM

OYD has a MAC. It took her about a day to figure it out and now she just laughs at me. I'm waiting for this clunker to finally blow up and I will make the conversion myself.

Posted by: mochassid | Dec 8, 2008 2:43:36 AM

put VISTA on it first. Then shoot. ;o/

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Dec 8, 2008 9:57:05 AM

PS Alan T., if Trep hasn't seen "Will It Blend?" I agree -- that's a horrendous oversight.

PPS I am typing this on a macbook. when the HD isn't crashing, it's very stable. my school's wireless hub gives it fits too, but our school is notorious for jury-rigging obsolete tech that only works on campus and nowhere else. a hazard of always taing the lowest bidder. ;o/

Good on Gilad's relatives and his computer savvy; take a tip from me -- set the parental egg-timer for a coupla hours each day.

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Dec 8, 2008 10:00:32 AM

Jack, don't be jealous...maybe one day you'll be cool enough to get a Mac, too

Not jealous in the slightest. I have a Mac. I just haven't lost my head the way some others have.

Somewhere I think that I still have my Apple IIe

Posted by: Jack | Dec 8, 2008 10:41:49 AM

Have you run across any issues in terms of running a Mac in Israel?
Israel seems to be very heavily a Wintel environment.

For instance, do you every have to deal with support people
from your ISP or cable/DSL provider? How do they cope with your
using a Mac?

My guess is that few of them have experience with Macs
and will be suspicious that any ISP or cable/DSL problem is due to
an incompatibility with Macs and won't look very hard to see if there
is an issue on their end or if there just needs to be a change in the software
settings for the computer's internet connectivity application that has nothing
to do with the operating system.

Also I have my cable modem hooked-up to a LAN router so that more than one
computer can access the internet at once. Every now and then I need to contact
tech support for the company I bought the router from. They are helpful but I
worry that they would not be comfortable trouble-shooting connectivity issues
if I had a Mac.

What's your experience been?

Posted by: Jonathan | Dec 8, 2008 7:05:09 PM

Not that I love Windows or anything, but I'll consider purchasing a Mac when they come up with a passable screenreader. Voice-Over isn't all that great. But congradulations to Gilad all the same.

Posted by: Amanda | Dec 9, 2008 2:08:55 AM

Jack - clearly the brainwashing feature in your Mac isn't working properly. Better bring it in to the store to get it fixed.

Posted by: tnspr569 | Dec 9, 2008 3:45:35 PM

mazal tov on your new acquisition! maybe you can tell me how i can open a .cwk file on my PC? :) thanks

Posted by: mrs belogski | Dec 9, 2008 4:44:24 PM

Awww...I totally forgot about how last year I was really longing for a Mac Mini. The iMacs have come down in price though. Apple hardware just seems so cool!

Posted by: Rishona | Dec 10, 2008 5:54:32 PM