« 100 Things To Do Before I Go | Main | Feeling betrayed... again »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"you're hard to shop for"

After hearing this nearly every year in the weeks/months leading up to my birthday, I finally admitted to my wife that I really don't feel the need to get formal presents.

From time to time I treat myself to gadgets or some new gewgaw that catches my eye... but even I don't know what will catch my fancy until I see it.  So yeah, I'm hard to shop for.    But for my birthday I much prefer something the whole family can enjoy... like a nice dinner out or a few new DVDs for family movie night.

Before last year's birthday I published my list of 100 Movies I'd like to own on DVD (with handy asterisks to denote the ones we already owned).  It worked like a charm... Zahava and the kids came through with some classics.

We've now added a few more films to the family collection:

• Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • This Is Spinal Tap
    • There's Something About Mary
    • Monsters, Inc.
    • Bee Movie
    • Kingpin
    • Airplane!
    • When Harry Met Sally...
    • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    • Cast Away

Not all of these were on my list of 'must own films', but hey... when I come home from the supermarket not everything in the bag was on Zahava's list either.  :-)

So at present, this is what the list looks like (and no, this isn't a hint for more gifts):

[* = We have the film on DVD]

Fletch*
Forrest Gump*
Fried Green Tomatoes
Gone With The Wind
Harry Potter Movies*
Indiana Jones & the last crusade*
It's a mad mad mad mad world*
It's a wonderful Life
Mutiny on the Bounty
My Cousin Vinnie*
My Fair Lady*
North by northwest
Oh Brother Where Art Thou*
On the Waterfront
One flew over the cookoo's nest
Papillon*
To Sir with Love
Trading Places
West Side Story*
When Harry Met Sally*
Yellow Submarine
Young Frankenstein

Just to head off any comments about the 'couch potato' family... we also do plenty of outdoors stuff (touring, hiking, camping, cycling, etc.) with the kids.  Movie night is just a Thursday or Saturday night thing to have everyone together sharing some laughs or tears.  And that is a precious gift indeed.

Posted by David Bogner on June 24, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference "you're hard to shop for":

Comments

Cool,you've added Life of Brian!

Posted by: a | Jun 24, 2008 1:23:39 PM

But you didn't add Dr. Strangelove.

I'm disappointed in you. :(

Posted by: Karl Newman | Jun 24, 2008 2:35:41 PM

hey! You stole my list! It's funny how "guycentric" your list is Dave. I too started a collection of the 100 greatest films on DVD. But my collection would seem incomplete now without all the "chick flicks" my wife has added.

Posted by: David Bailey | Jun 24, 2008 6:09:03 PM

I didn't realize you had Fried Greens Tomatoes. Scratch my earlier post.

Posted by: David Bailey | Jun 24, 2008 6:11:47 PM

"Airplane" is like THE funniest movie ever made (or at least in the top 5). Glad to see it on your list.

Posted by: Baila | Jun 24, 2008 6:32:41 PM

I'm pretty sure I said this last year as well...but it's worth repeating.

How on Earth can a list this good include The Godfather Part III?

(extra credit is given, though, if you simply want the wonderful box set, and you plan on throwing away Part III, as I did)

Posted by: dfb1968 | Jun 24, 2008 6:47:33 PM

The Godfather Part III

If you own the first two you need to own the third. Sure, it doesn't measure up to the first two, but few movies do.

As for the list above, you have done a good job with it. That resembles my own collection pretty closely. Now if we can teach you to root for a real team we might just get somewhere. ;)

Posted by: Jack | Jun 24, 2008 7:03:09 PM

Great list. I also loved The Fugitive - have seen it multiple times and it still gets my heart racing.

Posted by: mata hari | Jun 24, 2008 7:07:13 PM

Bee Movie yes, Toy Story no?

Posted by: jordan Hirsch | Jun 24, 2008 9:34:49 PM

Not to worry, Jordan -- we've had Toy Story since it was first released on video. And thanks to our new VCR/DVD player/recorder we will soon have discarded the tape in favor of a slimmer and easier to store DVD (that is if we can figure out how to record onto the DVD from the tape!)....

Posted by: zahava | Jun 24, 2008 9:54:02 PM

Zahava, if yours is also a standalone (DVD) recorder, you can hook up your VHS player to it and just record a copy of your VHS tapes, though the quality when going from analog to digital might not be too smashing, plus you won't be able to add menues (like for additional options, chapters and such) like you could with some editing softwares. But it's one of the fastest (and cheapest) ways to give an old VHS collection a push into the 21st century.

Posted by: a | Jun 24, 2008 11:34:47 PM

That's funny -- I am planning to take a few of them on your list with me when we travel to Israel -- especially MP & the HG! I have the Blues Brothers 25th Anniversary Edition in my hand right now (well, right next to me here). We are very similar in that list as we have about a third of what is listed there and concur on most of them. Some great faves. I would add to the list one of my favorite Woody Allen movies: Sleeper. I've been (somewhat) looking for that one.

One thing that I am proud of is watching my kids enjoy them and then being able to talk about them. So many classics that today's kids just are not exposed to. One funny exception to that happened when I was reading the book "The Phantom Tollbooth" to my fifth graders and for my own personal amusement, when a scene called for counting to five (no, three), I went into the Holy Hand Grenade instructions routine. I didn't think anyone would notice, but one kid cut in and completed the routine for me. It was an amazing experience (and bonding momment). He and I just sat there with a big grin on our faces and nobody else there understood what was going on.

Posted by: arrrteest | Jun 25, 2008 12:30:38 AM

Trepp, you have great taste in movies. In fact, I think you should all of us over for "movie night"...can you say POPCORN?

Posted by: cruisin-mom | Jun 25, 2008 4:28:28 AM

They would probably also enjoy a lot of old movies - It Happened One Night, the Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby movies, the Doris Day/Rock Hudson set....I guess it's endless.

Posted by: mata hari | Jun 25, 2008 5:43:00 AM

Dave, I thought about you yesterday remembering it was your birthday but I was at my brother's and they don't have internet. Or TV. oy. So a belated HB!! And how come "Exodus" and "The Producers" aren't on that illustrious list??

Posted by: Marsha in Stamford | Jun 25, 2008 5:58:53 AM

You have *excellent* taste in movies! The only thing I would add, and I am quite the movie junkie, is Peter Sellers. Otherwise perfect list!

Posted by: Fran | Jun 25, 2008 6:34:27 AM

So, what did you all watch the other night? You've got quite the selection to choose from! DH and I consider it our responsibility as parents to expose our kids to the classic films...so four of six can now quote from The Princess Bride, Montey Python, Ferris Bueller and much of Star Wars when appropriate, with citations. Now if only there were college scholarships to be had for this knowlege and skill...BTW, I'm assuming you already have Shrek (1) in another format; like Toy Story, it is a worthy film. OH, and isn't it time for you to begin a collection of classic TV series, now available in their entireties on dvd? You'll never be called difficult to shop for again! Belated Happy Birthday wishes.
Debbie

Posted by: Debbie | Jun 25, 2008 7:16:02 AM

The Phantom Tollbooth. I loved that.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 25, 2008 8:14:21 AM

a... Contrary to what my wife may sometimes think, I am capable of following advice. :-)

Karl Newman... Sorry, it just doesn't speak to me. I'll probably get it, but it isn't on my 'must have' list.

David Bailey... You'll note the lack of Jane Austen films on my list. :-) Oh, and Fried Green Tomatoes is a fantastic film for the entire family... not just the girls.

Baila... I would put Kingpin and Something About Mary up for that title, but let's not quibble. :-)

dfb1968... It doesn't stand on its own, but it compliments the first two.

Jack... Do I smell another wager simmering on the grill?

mata hari... Color me surprised. I didn't see that one coming. I figured you for a chick flick kinda gal.

jordan Hirsch... We have that one too. And no, Bee Movie is not on my top 100 list. We just got some films that Yonah would enjoy too.

a ... Our player is a combination DVD VHS machine that theoretically has 'one touch dubbing'. We just haven't discovered where to touch it yet.

arrrteest... I like some Woody Allen (the man who gave new meaning to the phrase 'Who's your daddy?') films, but I can't stand him personally. One of the reasons we watch the classics with the kids is that there so many cultural reference to them in everyday life.

cruisin-mom... Just tell me when you are arriving and it's a date.

Marsha in Stamford ... Exodus isn't on the list because Paul Newman is not a convincing Jew. Sorry. I may add the other one though.

Fran... Hmmm, interesting point. Maybe...

Debbie... The other night we watched 'When Harry Met Sally...". The kids loved it (Yonah was sent to bed before the movie started). I am already compiling a list of TV shows I want to have on disk.

Jack... Haven't seen it yet.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jun 25, 2008 11:22:36 AM

In his opening scene, Paul Newman a/k/a Ari Ben Canaan is seen dripping wet in bathing drunks. That's convincing enough for me...:-)
It's still a great movie and book adaptation..and the hanging scene was actually filmed in Akko prison!

Posted by: Marsha in Stamford | Jun 26, 2008 2:32:13 AM

I haven't any problem with another wager. What concerns me is trying to find a way to pay off the last one. I take care of my debts and trying to get these dogs to you is proving to be a bigger challenge than I had thought.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 26, 2008 7:40:29 AM

Galaxy Quest!!!

Posted by: Bob | Jun 30, 2008 3:44:00 AM

The Francis Ford Copolla version of "Black Beauty" is moving and beautiful, a great family film. (Too intense for the Yonah in parts in my opinion.) Let me know what you think. Amazing photography and a great story about friendship and loyalty.

Posted by: Alice | Jul 3, 2008 4:27:08 AM