« She talks the talk, but... | Main | A gang of big tough bikers... »

Thursday, April 10, 2008

You oughta be in...

...politics!

Occasionally, after I've gone off on one of my political rants, some well-meaning reader will leave a comment saying something like, "You oughta be in politics!"  Which is kinda funny considering that you would be hard pressed to find someone less suited to the knock down, drag out, brawl that passes for political discourse in this part of the world.

Heck, when filling out our absentee ballots for US elections Zahava and I don't even tell each other who we're voting for... and I still don't know who she voted for in the last Knesset elections!

Well, a few months ago, the two founders of a high end, boutique political advertising firm in the US 'outed' themselves as treppenwitz readers, and went way beyond the standard 'you oughta be in politics!' pitch by making a shiduch (match) of sorts between Zahava and I and an MK (Member of Knesset) they felt was 'our kind of politician'.

This MK is, first and foremost, one of the good guys.  He has a resume so full that it could happily be split amongst three or four people and still allow each to be called 'accompished'.  He hails from a political legacy that finds its roots among Israel's ideological founding fathers and his politics refreshingly transcend the whole tired religious/secular paradigm.

In short, he's the real deal.  A leader with a white hat and a bag full of clearly defined, constructive ideas for the future if Israel.

Mind you, it isn't a perfect fit with us... but hey, do you agree with every single paltform of your party-of-choice?  These small areas where Zahava and I have felt small ripples of dissonance could as easily be our newness as Israelis as our political naivete.  Only time will tell.

But to be able to find an Israeli politician (more like the anti-politician) who actually says what he thinks and means what he says... well, that's worth its weight in rubies.

I'm not going to name names right now... not the right time for that... but after reading a stack of this MK's position papers and articles and meeting with him in his Knesset office for a few hours, Zahava and I were floored by how many issues and platforms perfectly agreed with our own world-views.

Long story short, we've recently started working with this MK on an exciting project that leverages Zahava's considerable design talents and my modest skills as a writer.   This is just a bit of moonlighting, mind you... we still have our day gigs to tend to.   But to anyone who has ever left a comment suggesting that I oughta be in politics... I can only say be careful what you wish for.

Needless to say, in the weeks ahead you will be hearing a lot about this... including where you can go to hear him speak when he visits the US after Passover.  So stay tuned.

Posted by David Bogner on April 10, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference You oughta be in...:

Comments

Does this mean that your klita is now officially complete? :)

Posted by: tnspr569 | Apr 10, 2008 4:14:30 PM

Ooh, how exciting! :) Will be nice to hear the details soon...

Posted by: chantyshira | Apr 10, 2008 4:58:30 PM

While I could be wrong, from your description I have a pretty good idea of who you are talking about.

So without mentioning names, are you concerned about his possible level of influence? That really is the name of the game in Israeli politics.

Every election we have people in our town pushing for this or that "perfect candidate", someone who perfectly matches their ideology. The problem is that the closer you get to the perfect candidate, who is a great match for you, the less likely they will match a wider portion of the electorate. Most often they don't even make it into the Knesset, and if they do - they end up with one or two seats, with almost no influence in the Knesset.

Personally, I think instead of finding one person we can identify with, we need to be pushing for greater compromise within our camp so we can all work together and get that needed majority.

Posted by: Dave (Balashon) | Apr 10, 2008 5:01:32 PM

As usual, I'm in suspence!

Posted by: QuietusLeo | Apr 10, 2008 5:02:09 PM

Do such politicians even exist in the Knesset? Color me intrigued.

I took a quick glance at the Knesset list and the only person who jumped out at me as from a "political legacy that finds its roots among Israel's ideological founding fathers" was Tzachi Hanegbi. And I am more than confident this is not who you speak of... ;)

Posted by: harry | Apr 10, 2008 7:57:50 PM

The question is: what is your goal in politics? To influence or lead?

Answer that, and you not only need to find a politician whose goals are in tune with your own, but also one who has a vision/plan to actually lead the country.

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Apr 10, 2008 10:53:10 PM

From the description sounds like Rubi Rivlin.

Regarding "small parties" in Israel - they can be very influential if they are in a coalition where the leading party isn't very strong. If in the next election the Likud gets around 30 mandates and forms a center-right coalition then mafdal and ihud haleumi will play a major role in shaping the road that this country takes after Olmert.

Posted by: avi | Apr 11, 2008 7:10:10 PM

"be careful what you wish for": That was the same comment that Hillary Clinton made to Rush Limbaugh when he started operation chaos.

Posted by: Jewish Blogmeister | Apr 11, 2008 7:11:13 PM

Do I say, "mazl tov" here? I am most happy for you both, and I hope this becomes a "nice thing" for your family.

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Apr 11, 2008 7:50:27 PM

Golly, I didn't know Mike Huckabee was an MK ...

Posted by: Bob | Apr 13, 2008 1:15:18 AM

my guess is Arieh Eldad from Kfar Adumim, from the Ichud Leumi. He is tremendously bright a doctor and professor of medicine. His father was Yisrael Eldad one of the leaders of the Lehi. While traditional he would not be considered religious (or maybe that is "he does not consider himself religious"). His mother was a city councilor in Jerusalem from Teddy Kollek's One Jerusalem party. I also figure that he is in your political direction (not mine though:)).
Of course i could be wrong again.
Chag Sameach