« A single word that denies us our very right to live | Main | Yonah-isms »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Treppenwitz's Q-Tip

For those who are loathe to open email from unrecognized senders, but hate the idea of deleting something that might be legit, here is a simple rule you may find useful:

Treppenwitz's Q-Tip:  The presence of a 'Q', 'X' or 'Z' in an unrecognized name/email address raises the likelihood that it is spam.  The presence of two of those letters in the name/email address significantly increases the probability that it is unsolicited junk... and the presence of all three in the same unrecognized name/email address provides near-certainty of a spurious missive... delete it immediately.

[Note:  According to the Oxford English Dictionary, 'Z', X' and 'Q' are the among the least frequently used letters in the English language (Scrabble enthusiasts probably already knew this).  'J'  and 'K' are also listed as being very infrequently used, but I didn't include them in my rule since it is quite common to find them in given names (e.g. Kate, Kevin, Kim, Jim, James, Jack, Janet, etc.).]

Don't thank me... I'm a giver.

Posted by David Bogner on March 12, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treppenwitz's Q-Tip:

Comments

so much for Quentin Crisp, one of the last great Stately Homo's of England (sorry, couldn't resist).
I certainly wasn't expecting mail from Zaphod Beeblebrox either.

Posted by: asher | Mar 12, 2008 10:28:21 AM

JoeSettler
Jameel @ Muqata

Is that why you don't read our mail?

Posted by: JoeSettler | Mar 12, 2008 10:48:11 AM

asher... Regarding Quentin Crisp: Aside from bearing a striking resemblance to Margaret Thatcher, I don't see what makes him worthy of mention in this thread. His name has only one of the three letters mentioned in the rule, which would only indicate a moderately elevated likelihood that the email was spam. However, since Mr. Crisp passed away in 1999 I think it is safe to assume that any email you receive from him at this point is likely not the real deal. Lastly, 'Homo' is a term best reserved for use in friendly banter within the gay and lesbian community. You and I should be more sensitive and simply refer to someone like Quentin as 'not the marrying sort'... and even that is not for long-term use since the laws are likely to change before too long. :-)

JoeSettler... unsubscribe ;-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Mar 12, 2008 11:15:10 AM

Thanks, Dave, for responding to the term "Homo".

Posted by: Val | Mar 12, 2008 12:53:06 PM

hello, it was not only a play on words, but also a self-penned epithet, which Mr Crisp wrote about himself in "The Naked Civil Servant" (televised with John Hurt in the role), so if I'm guilty of anything it's plagiarism (as in Tom Lehrer's "Lobachevsky").
Sorry if I trod on toes.

Posted by: asher | Mar 12, 2008 1:45:04 PM

Val... No problem. Any gays out there should know I have their back. Um, you know what I meant. ;-)

asher... Sorry, there was nothing in your comment to indicate that the words were anything but your own. You didn't really expect that most people reading your comment would have also read Mr. Crisp's book, did you?

Posted by: treppenwitz | Mar 12, 2008 2:02:49 PM

Damn. Until today I was able to use the Descripto spelling of my full name:
Jackqz.

But now no one's going to open emailqz from me.

Curse you Red Baron.

-The Blogger formerly known as Jackqz.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 12, 2008 3:32:04 PM

I guess I'll have to be more careful about where I leave my Treif Luncheon Meat.

Posted by: QelissonX | Mar 12, 2008 5:02:33 PM