« Oh yeah... the winner of the doll contest | Main | That's just silly! »

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Plenty-o-nuthin' Vol. I

Some mornings I wake up, open up the laptop and proceed to write an enormous, steaming pile of crap.  Sure there are lots of words and sometimes even the kernel of an idea in there somewhere.  But the end result is a tangled mass of badness that, trust me, you should be thanking me for granting you the gift of the ten minutes you would have spent trying to decipher it.

On such mornings I sometimes go back to the drawing board and manage to write something passingly coherent... in which case you end up seeing something posted here.  And on other occasions I can't seem to get the stink off my typing hand and the second effort ends up being worse (if such a thing is possible) than the first.

Today was such a morning with not one, but two separate posts ending up in the electronic version of the air sickness bag.

I've been in a bit of a roll lately with posts going up almost every day, and I feel bad having you show up and find 'nuthin'.  So I'm going to try something new.

A few times a week friends from around the globe email me funny cartoons and photos... which I dutifully file away for no apparent reason.  Admittedly, most are just so-so, and some are a little too spicy and/or un-PC to share in a family-friendly site.  But I've noticed that over the past few years I've amassed a nice library of stuff that might serve nicely as consolation prizes for people who show up here expecting, well, something.

Therefore, today will be the first in an ongoing series called 'plenty-o-nothin' which will indicate that I had some sort of a writing accident that morning and nothing worthwhile could be salvaged from the effort.

So without further ado... a little something, er, nothin' that demonstrates that our enemies do have a lighter side:

Prank

Here's hoping the writing fairy visits tomorrow.

[Note:  Where possible, I will always try to determine the source/copyright owner of any images I post here.  However, most of the stuff that will be featured in this series came to me second or fifteenth hand, and I may have struck out in trying to track down the original source.  If you know who created an image I post here please let me know so I can give credit where it is due.]

Posted by David Bogner on January 6, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Plenty-o-nuthin' Vol. I:

Comments

Can't you make it another contest? Like for the best caption or something? I really do hate losing contests.

I thought of a caption for this picture, but it definitely won't pass your censors :)

(And your writing fairy visits you more often than most of us.)

Posted by: Baila | Jan 6, 2008 5:26:47 PM

Geeez, Trepp, even your nothin' post is kinda like.......an episode of Seinfeld (a show about nothin' and still great!)

Posted by: cruisin-mom | Jan 6, 2008 6:15:40 PM

Baila... OK, you're on. All ''plenty-o-nothin' posts will also be caption contests with the winner getting a free cuppa coffee on me (however winners must collect it in person). So have at it... you might be surprised at how lenient the censors can be!

cruisin-mom... Aw, aren't you sweet!

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jan 6, 2008 6:19:37 PM

"No, no transgression here... just our own version of knighthood."

Posted by: Rahel | Jan 6, 2008 8:02:10 PM

Now that you made it a caption contest......

"An inside look at the members of the Taliban training to become TSA Airport screeners. In this picture: Ahmad shows Mohamed the proper and improper use of the metal detector wand."

Regards,

David S.

Posted by: David S | Jan 6, 2008 8:34:56 PM

{Animal House}
{Fraternity Pledge Voice}

"THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER??"

{/Fraternity Pledge Voice}
{/Animal House}

(I tried using the angular brackets to make it look like html, but it wouldn't appear right when previewing, so using curly brackets instead)

Posted by: JDMDad | Jan 6, 2008 9:35:13 PM

"whoopie, tie-yiiie-o, git along little dogie!"

Posted by: zahava | Jan 7, 2008 9:48:44 AM

You wrote a while ago that there had only ever been one settler group that functioned as an underground, terror group.
In fact your phrasing was: quote In the history of the state, with its bloody history of Jewish victims and unpunished Arab terrorists, there has been exactly one incident of an organized 'machteret' (Jewish underground) forming and carrying out attacks against Arabs. One. That is hardly a statistically significant trend on which to base such a ridiculous 'analysis'. It is not only a terrible way to besmirch the memory of these two shining examples of wholesome Israeli manhood, but it is a libelous indictment of an entire sector of Israel's populationend-quote
I refrained from responding then while the blood of the guys from Qiryat Arba was still fresh. Believe me I was not dancing on their blood, and neither did I say that they had it coming. I came to this country a long time ago to build and be built, not to kill or be killed, and I don t want my little baby boy to get killed because his father got carried away back when he was young and impressionable.
Anyway < there has been exactly one incident>
Maybe you didn’t count the Lifta gang, the guys from Bat Ayin or the group around Yigal Amir (and I wont get into the question of what was Eyal). Do not forget the so-called road safety committee (Kach under another name)
Equally disturbing is the phenomenon of the self-appointed sheriffs and gurus-to-the-hilltop-youth who enjoy a situation where Israeli law does not apply to them.
But the most disturbing trend is the number of loose cannons. Skolnik, Popper, Goldstein (you knew I was going to mention him, but tell the truth, after Goldstein, were you not a bit so to speak relieved that Yigal Amir was not an oleh from the States?) and Eden Tzuberi, David ben-Shimol and Yona Avrushmi and there are more. Point being that if the religious community is so disciplined that people will not eat a sandwich without a Kosher certificate, or wear a shirt if it has no shatnez-free certification but some (note some) of those same people will apparently tske it upon themselves to be an avenger (and not in the biblical sense of goel hadam). So where do these loose cannons get their inspiration and approval?

Posted by: asher | Jan 7, 2008 1:30:33 PM

Asher... I'm not going to even dignify your 'comment' for a few reasons. First and foremost is the fact that you couldn't even be bothered to post it to the related blogpost. Second you seem perfectly content to blur the distinction between organized terror groups and lone lunatics. Lastly, You ignore completely the difference between murderers and people/groups who have distasteful (even illegal) ideas. It is fine to be passionate about your political positions and angry about those who see things differently. But you demonstrated willingness to play fast and loose with facts and events is beyond the scope of what I will allow to pass here at treppenwitz.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jan 7, 2008 3:32:55 PM

Asher: I am having a great deal of trouble understanding your comment.

It seems that you are trying to prove that Israel has her own terrorist problem, and you seem to be pointing the finger at the religious community: "Point being that if the religious community is so disciplined that people will not eat a sandwich without a Kosher certificate, or wear a shirt if it has no shatnez-free certification but some (note some) of those same people will apparently tske it upon themselves to be an avenger (and not in the biblical sense of goel hadam)."

You have cited 9 specific examples of Israel's lunatic fringe. Your examples seem to range between 1984 to the present. Google searches have not yielded a great deal of information regarding the Lifta gang or Skolnick. Popper, Goldstein, Tzuberi, ben-Shimol, and Avrushmi are individuals who acted alone.

Being a member of the religious community neither guarantees sanity nor goodness. In addition, the flavor of an entire community can hardly be seasoned by 9 rogue individuals. Especially when the vast majority of said community speaks out against both the individuals and their actions.

Unlike the hundreds of well publicized instances of celebration by the Palestinians over the spilling of Jewish blood -- the instances you cite produced shame, loathing and disgust among the communities from which these individuals came.

Posted by: zahava | Jan 7, 2008 4:55:09 PM

For the caption contest, just a little too late:

"Are you happy to see me or is that just a gun?"

Posted by: soccer dad | Jan 8, 2008 8:21:32 PM

I didn't want to reply immediately to the posting to which I replied as I wanted to wait a week out of respect for the murdered ones. So why did I attach it to this post? Because for a People with 4000 years of history, a week is a long time. You may accuse me of double standards, but yes, I expect better from the sons of Jacob than from the sons of Ishmael.
As for the caption I have two!
1 I've heard of keeping your backside covered but this is ridiculous!
2 You mean RPG is short for Rectal Protection Gear?

Now, I also promise, cross my heart, scouts' honour, not to comment in the future about what passes in Israel for politics, but reserve the right to comment about music, movies and so on (not including sports, I don't understand American sports apart from pro wrestling (ballet with a better story-line)

Posted by: asher | Jan 9, 2008 12:50:14 PM

Abdul, is that an RPG, or are you just glad to see me?

Posted by: Bob | Jan 10, 2008 5:18:06 AM

"The new 3-speed bullet-vibe. More bang for your f... ah, buck."

If it's too risque, feel free to edit or delete :)

Posted by: Pesky Settler | Jan 10, 2008 3:02:12 PM

Thanks Bob, for correcting my mistake.

Posted by: soccer dad | Jan 10, 2008 10:17:09 PM