« I think there's a lion in your bed | Main | A tale of two phlebotomists »

Friday, January 18, 2008

... but when they came for me it was too late.

Many Israeli bloggers put icons and posts up on their sites to protest the arrest/governmental harassment of a certain Egyptian blogger.  However, now that an Israeli blogger has been hauled in by the Shin Bet for questioning I'm wondering whether the reaction will be the same.

Considering that the lefty portion of the Israeli blogosphere has been notoriously silent when it is only the right being denied freedom of expression... I'm not exactly holding my breath.

But go on people, surprise me. I have no problem eating my words and serving up a dessert course of Mea  Culpa's.

It may be right wing protesters and bloggers today.  But one day they'll come for you.

Posted by David Bogner on January 18, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference ... but when they came for me it was too late.:

» Haveil Havalim #150 from Soccer Dad
InstaCarnival Beta Draft HTML for Carnival Edition http://blogcarnival.com/bc/spreview_17100.html --> The next few lines insert the BlogCarnival LogoLink for the January 20, 2008 edition of "haveil havalim" here. Presence of the BlogCarnival LogoLink ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 20, 2008 5:17:31 PM

Comments

Quote from post: Those challenged with complete misdirection of their drives have perhaps one of the greatest challenges there is. Like people with challenges in any area, people with challenges in this area should be recommended to and given opportunities to improve.

I see the point why he will have to justify for such speech.

Posted by: a. | Jan 18, 2008 1:08:08 PM

..."and noone was left to stand for me". Say it ain't so! It wasn't enough that some of my fellow Jews often embarass and shame me beyond belief, but Israel behaving like this?? I can't believe it, what next, TA hosting the world's First PC Conference?

I'll go bury my head in the sand now, have exams to pass, can't cope with any rubbish or heartache right now.

Posted by: Lioness | Jan 18, 2008 4:20:18 PM

The attack on valid expressions of dissenting opinion are becoming irritating.

At this point, the only protected speech will be politically correct pablum - hate and wrongheadedness which receives official approval.

I wonder if the 'service' has much influence in the Bay Area though...... there are people here who much more deserve to be questioned; politely or otherwise.

Posted by: Back of the Hill | Jan 19, 2008 12:43:43 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how so many libs scream for "freedom of speech" - until that speech disagrees with said libs. Then it becomes "hate speech", and needs to be suppressed, don't you see?

As regards the State of Israel and its trampling of free speech - well, what do you expect from a nation that was founded by a bunch of commies? As an avid Zionist it hurts me to write those words, but it's only the truth. Mapam, Mapai, Hashomer Hatzair - all those guys had more in common with Joe Stalin than with King David. There's a reason Menachem Begin named his party "Herut" (Freedom) - to distinguish his guys from the dictator-wannabes on the left. Study up on Ben-Gurion, Weitzman, and the other early-Labor leaders, and you'll see that Olmert's tactics are nothing new in Israeli history.

Posted by: psachya | Jan 20, 2008 7:04:52 AM

David: don't hold your breath.

We are (literally!) ostjuden.

Smelly, uncouth, still-religious Jews who are embarrassing our more progressive brethren - who still think they can save their own skins by sacrificing ours, who still think we are the cause of the problem.

Again.