« Method to their madness | Main | Another snow day... »

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A snow day at chez treppenwitz

The snow started falling late last night and hasn't stopped since.  To add insult to injury an icy cold wind has been blowing all night and all morning to boot.  I'm not exactly sure when during the night the power went out... but it stayed out until about 8:30 this morning and has been intermittent ever since.

By the way, we heat our house and water with electricity.  [shiver]

Needless to say, the kids are off from school and I didn't go into work.

With the power going on and off all day the house hasn't really had a chance to warm up yet, so to heat up the main floor a bit Zahava has baked a big batch of chocolate chip cookies for the kids and a giant pan of macaroni & cheese is also in the works.

For my contribution I whipped up a batch of hot chocolate.

We're all fine here, but if you really, really feel the need to send a little sympathy in someone's direction, Zahava suffers from a medical condition called...

Raynaud's disease (RAY-noz) which is a condition that affects blood flow to the extremities which include the fingers, toes, nose and ears when exposed to temperature changes or stress.

Hmmm, let's see now, no heat or hot water... a house full of antsy kids...  temperature changes... stress... I think we have a winner!!!

Posted by David Bogner on January 30, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A snow day at chez treppenwitz:

Comments

Aw, shucks, honey! You know how to make a girl feel warm and toasty all over.....

Posted by: zahava | Jan 30, 2008 2:40:58 PM

Man, more Israeli blackouts! Where's the UN? Seriously, I hope Zahava will be okay and from her comment it sounds like she will be.

It sounds like a good day for snowball fights!!!

Posted by: shira | Jan 30, 2008 2:52:01 PM

What can I say? You know that bad weather follows Mom & Dad and YOU invited them to move there! :-D
Hope you guys get warm soon.

Posted by: Val | Jan 30, 2008 3:32:06 PM

I woke up to hear they are expecting 10 centimeters of snow in Jerusalem. I checked my handy-dandy Nefesh B'nefesh chart to see that that's a walloping 4 inches. Did you get more in Efrat?

In Modiin, its rain, rain, rain. Yucky, but we need it and snow is not one of the things I miss from the alte heim.

Oh, and make sure you keep Zehava warm...

Posted by: Baila | Jan 30, 2008 4:34:14 PM

Ahh a fellow Raynauds sufferer! For the longest time I thought everyone had pain when they took stuff out of the freezer, or peeled fruit from the fridge!

At least the electricity has been steady in Jerusale (so far) ptu ptu...

Posted by: Safranit | Jan 30, 2008 4:54:38 PM

1) Is the oven electric too?
2) Is your computer/internet on a UPS or something?
Hope your electric is fixed by now.

Posted by: Channah | Jan 30, 2008 4:56:19 PM

(I mean no longer intermittent.)

Posted by: Channah | Jan 30, 2008 5:00:00 PM

Stay tuned for the great Israeli baby boom of 2008.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 30, 2008 5:33:33 PM

Is this the first snow day you you've had since making aliya? My boys are so disappointed that all we are getting is rain. To add insult to injury, Noga sent their students home early, and has cancelled school for tomorrow. Thank goodness the puppy has not arrived yet, I'd hate to have to take her out in this weather!

Posted by: Rachel | Jan 30, 2008 6:24:16 PM

Its super cold here too, and blowing..and icy. I did make it to work though and the kids are safe and warm in daycare. But now I think I'll go get some hot chocolate. Thanks for the idea :)

Posted by: Sister Sassy | Jan 30, 2008 6:35:16 PM

Menashe said I had to read your blog today. DOn't feel bad we heat with Neft..fireplace witha chimney. When I called the serviicing person to tell him that it was getting all black inside and not heating..He said turn it up and I will come when the roads are clear..it is due to the wind. So while the house isn't exactly cold..I am I keep drinking hot tea..as long as we have electricity to heat the water. Hopefully I won't float away before the weather warms up. Stay warm

Posted by: Alizah | Jan 30, 2008 6:39:44 PM

Posted by: Alizah | Jan 30, 2008 6:39:47 PM

Dawn also has Raynauds. When she comes in from work in the evenings she will hold her hands over the stove burners to warm them up. The tips of her fingers actually turn gray.

Posted by: weese | Jan 30, 2008 8:22:31 PM

One thing I do when the power is out is turn on my gas stove. Of course, at one point I started feeling dizzy and my eyes and throat were burning, so it must have been either carbon dioxide poisoning or the sulfuric acid which results from burning the sulfur in the gas. But still, it heated the house for a fraction of the cost of electric heat.

Posted by: Evan | Jan 30, 2008 11:26:58 PM

no electricity... yikes.... try and keep warm.....

does Zahava have a nice warm pair of gloves that she can wear inside?

Posted by: David | Jan 31, 2008 3:11:13 AM

Hope your power is back on today! It has been rather chilly out here in T"A as well. How irritating! I am a Tel Avivit! I do not do cold! I did not sign up for this! :P

Gila

Posted by: Gila | Jan 31, 2008 9:12:55 AM

Lots of sympathy Zahava, I also have Raynauds. I had a hairy trip to Ben Gurion yesterday at 5am in that snow blizzard from Jerusalem. It didn't help that the taxi driver was having the Mother of All Arguments with his dispatcher, whilst waving his arms in the air, using a mobile phone and trying to drive up the "oh not so cleared as promised by the Jerusalem Municipality snow covered streets". Got to the airport an hour late, along with a whole bunch of other snow terrified passengers.

Love your solution to keeping warm - macaroni and cookies. Great comfort food!

Posted by: Noa | Jan 31, 2008 11:34:01 AM

Our daughter (the Mistress of Sarcasm) also used to suffer from Reynaud's...so Zahava has our sympathy.

Hah! Snow in Israel! That's gotta be like snow in Atlanta - unusual.

Posted by: Elisson | Jan 31, 2008 5:26:48 PM

Zahava's cooking and baking- yum!!!

Posted by: tnspr569 | Feb 1, 2008 4:32:17 AM

Generator (13 KW starting, 850 KW continuous), 10 gauge cable to back feed 240 VAC in through the dryer outlet, main breaker open/off (so as not to kill a lineman or blow up the generator when the power comes back on) and lots o' jerry cans full of go-juice. 1 KW Honda generator as a back-up/sleep time power source.

Always be prepared. :)

Karl Newman
Veteran
Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Jean, Ivan, Katrina and Wilma.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Feb 2, 2008 7:08:31 AM

Err....that should be 8.5 KW continuous.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Feb 2, 2008 2:57:13 PM