« Paying off the planet | Main | Fifth column... what fifth column? »

Sunday, December 16, 2007

I know it's bad form to speak ill of the dead...

... but over the weekend I just couldn't stop thinking about the passing of entertainment legend Ike Turner, and about his famous quote; "Sure, I've slapped Tina... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I never beat her." *

What kept running through my mind was the vision of Ike Turner standing in line at the gates of heaven waiting to be judged... and when his turn comes to be questioned about how he spent his time on earth, he looks up and finds that his fate rests in the hands of a large, angry black woman.

Sometimes what goes around comes around, Ike.   Rest in peace (if she'll let you).

* Source:  Here

Posted by David Bogner on December 16, 2007 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I know it's bad form to speak ill of the dead...:

Comments

This post reminded me of your post about James Brown:

Why was there no criticism about his acts of domestic violence?

Posted by: Dave (Balashon) | Dec 16, 2007 12:32:49 PM

Dave (Balashon)... James Brown was known as much for his musical endeavors as for his hard living and his many personal problems (including drugs and domestic violence). However, for whatever reason Ike Turner's name has become a kind of comedic shorthand for spousal abuse despite his many musical contributions.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Dec 16, 2007 1:25:16 PM

him and Norman Mailer, they'll have a lot to talk about.

Posted by: asher | Dec 16, 2007 4:20:43 PM

Asher... Yes, Norman Mailer (like countless other public figures) had an incident of spousal abuse in his past. He stabbed his first wife at a party they were attending together. In the wake of this incident, many feminists found anti-woman and abusive themes in his work. However in his five other marriages (and who knows how many extra-marital affairs) there was no other public episode of spousal abuse (that I know of). That isn't to say he didn't abuse his partners and even glorify the abuse of women in his work. Either or both might or might not be true. But as I said to Dave (above), Mailer's name never became linked in popular culture to spousal abuse the way Turner's did. I'm sure at least part of the reason for this is the undeniable racism of popular culture. Despite the fact that both men had frequent brushes with substance and spousal abuse, an iconic, white novelist is a far less likely hook on which to hang the label 'wife beater' than a relatively uneducated black entertainer. Not fair, but I didn't write the rules governing popular culture.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Dec 16, 2007 5:03:13 PM

Sing it, brother.

I've never thought the truth to be speaking ill.

Posted by: Talmida | Dec 16, 2007 5:40:38 PM

The reason that Ike's become so infamous, is because Tina wrote a book about her experiences, has become uber famous and well liked, and has given numerous interviews. All this while keeping a smile on her face and a sense of humor, so that she doesn't seem bitter or vengeful. Not too many abused women get to experience that kind of satisfying turnabout, but now she's in the position of power.

Posted by: mata hari | Dec 16, 2007 8:26:19 PM

Can't say I exactly felt sorry when I heard the news. I like your idea Trepp...one can only hope that woman is waiting for him :)

Posted by: cruisin-mom | Dec 16, 2007 10:09:24 PM

I was watching Robin Williams' "Live on Broadway" show this weekend, and at one point he advocates dealing with the Taliban by sending in 'a sista from Brooklyn'. The sista goes on to help out the women of Afghanistan with tips like "Hell no, you don't have to wear a Hefty Bag, girl," and "If he picks up a rock to stone you for talking to some man, you pick up a BIGGER rock."

Perhaps she can spare some time from her work to meet Ike at the Gates.

Posted by: balabusta in blue jeans | Dec 17, 2007 6:38:33 AM

Oh, and let's not forget Ike and Tina's producer, one Phil Spector. I suspect that when Phil joins Ike in the hereafter, they'll find themselves together in a padded room with a continuous loop recording of Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar" playing into eternity. (I would've said Aretha's "R-E-S-P-E-C-T", but I think they would enjoy that a bit too much.)

Posted by: psachya | Dec 17, 2007 10:35:40 AM

now that's somebody I'd like on my side

Posted by: the darker side of asher | Dec 17, 2007 12:59:24 PM

Lesley Gore's "you don't own me" was that the first feminist hymnn??

Posted by: asher | Dec 18, 2007 6:44:49 AM