« Not getting it... or willful ignorance? You tell me. | Main | The Pina Chama was robbed! »

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Brainfart

[translation: funny how my mind works]

The other evening Zahava and I celebrated 16 years of wedded bliss by sneaking out to Jerusalem to catch the late showing of the latest Harry Potter movie.

Yes, I know... we're hopeless romantics.

Anyway, as it was a school night and all, there were exactly six people in the theater; us, another religious couple and a secular couple.

After the movie we were walking through the darkened mall towards our car and I turned to Zahava... looked deeply into her eyes and swept her off her feet with the following observation:

"Y'know, only in Israel can you go to a movie and have two-thirds of the audience be Dati (religious Jews)."

Sometimes I just can't believe Zahava's good fortune.  :-)

Posted by David Bogner on September 20, 2007 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Brainfart:

Comments

Mazal tov! We're celebrating 18 on Yom Sheni, if The Husband remembers...

HaShem must love you--you have wonderful kids, you're here in Israel, and Zahava puts up with you [smile]

Posted by: aliyah06 | Sep 20, 2007 12:49:33 PM

Mazel tov!

Yes, your wonderful wife is indeed quite fortunate :-P

Posted by: tnspr569 | Sep 20, 2007 1:12:09 PM

Geez, you guys also have romantic dates going to Harry Potter movies? I thought we were the only ones!

Gmar Chatima Tova!

Posted by: westbankmama | Sep 20, 2007 1:26:55 PM

Zehava's obviously never been to a movie theater in New York on the evening of December 24th.

Posted by: efrex | Sep 20, 2007 1:35:46 PM

err... make that *you* obviously have never... etc.

Congratulations on the anniversary! Many more years in health and happiness.

Posted by: efrex | Sep 20, 2007 1:38:13 PM

Mazel Tov...may you both share many many wonderful more.

Posted by: orieyenta | Sep 20, 2007 3:55:08 PM

I remember going to the movies once and most of the audience was Dati. the movie was "A Stranger Among Us", with Melanie Griffith, at the old Kent Theatre on Coney Island Avenue. A bad movie about a cop infiltrating the hasidic community to find some bad people.

But I think your experience is hard to match, specially if the movie was Harry Potter.

Happy aniversary to you and Zahava, Gmar Chatima Tova and have an easy fast.

Posted by: David S | Sep 20, 2007 4:15:55 PM

I'm assuming you guys got married in a "late-holiday" year. (I don't think I've ever played a wedding during Aseres Y'mei T'shuva.) Anyway, mazal tov on the anniversary, & g'mar chasima tovah, and many more of both.

Posted by: psachya | Sep 20, 2007 4:26:50 PM

aliyah06... Thanks. She puts up with me... most of the time.

tnspr569... Fortunate... like kosher Jew winning a lifetime supply of Oscar Myer. :-)

westbankmama... Yep, that's us... although we do also occasionally get out for a romantic dinner.

efrex... good point.

orieyenta... Thank you.

David S... Hey now, you may not have enjoyed the film, but the screenplay was written by a very talented writer who just happens to be a good friend and faithful treppenwitz reader! A little respect please!

Psachya... Actually we got married on a Sunday between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. It was September 15th 1991. Being that most of my friends were musicians, it was the only Sunday that I could pretty much guarantee that they would all be free. :-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Sep 20, 2007 4:29:19 PM

It must be a slow news day for Treppenwitz. : )

Happy Anniversary!

Posted by: Jaime | Sep 20, 2007 5:12:10 PM

Mazel Tov!!

Posted by: Ezzie | Sep 20, 2007 5:44:25 PM

happy day you two.
you just crack me up.

Posted by: weese | Sep 20, 2007 6:36:15 PM

Mazal tov, and gemar hatima tova!

Posted by: Rahel | Sep 20, 2007 7:12:21 PM

Mazel Tov!

Posted by: Sarak | Sep 20, 2007 9:44:48 PM

Hey - you can't maintain a perfect level of witty dialogue at all time - you gotta save the creativity for the blog :)
Happy Anniversary!
Wishing you many more to come, with good fortune and nachas from the kids.
MH

Posted by: mata hari | Sep 20, 2007 10:45:27 PM

Mazal Tov!!

And I loved the Kent Theater on Coney Island Avenue! Us religees were always in the majority there, except when they played an Eddie Murphy movie ("Coming to America", anyone?)

Chatima Tova...

Posted by: Baila | Sep 21, 2007 9:20:57 AM

Mazel Tov Trepp to both of you.

Posted by: cruisin-mom | Sep 22, 2007 8:43:36 AM