« Death of a powerbook | Main | Basic self-defense should not be a partisan issue »

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Back to school

Like so many other Israeli homes, ours was abuzz this morning with the sound of last-minute preparations for the start of the new school year.  Well, truth be told, pretty much all the buzz around here was the sound of me getting breakfast ready and putting up coffee.  In between tasks I shouted up the stairs to try to get the kids moving.

Miraculously, the big kids required only two wake-up calls today (unlike the four or five that are standard during the school year) before I got an audible response... and our three-and-a-half year old, Yonah, actually came downstairs on his own (thus this truncated post).

As I type this, Yonah is sitting next to me in bed watching the magic letters appear on the computer screen. I asked him if he's ready to go back to school and he answered quite seriously that he was.  He then proceeded to rat out Ari and Gili by telling me "they aren't going to school today... they're still in bed".

Hmmm... that can't be good.  I'd better go up and have a look.

Posted by David Bogner on September 2, 2007 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Back to school:

Comments

Actually, my daughter was so excited about going back to school that I had a hard time talking her out of going to sleep in her school uniform. She goes to school in the city (3rd grade - no license yet!) and we live on moshav, so she really missed seeing her friends. The only thing I actually had to do this morning was make her a sandwich. I wish all of our kids a great school year!

Posted by: Madelyn | Sep 2, 2007 1:46:07 PM

My son, Adam, starts kindergarten on Sept. 5. No signs yet here of anything abuzz. Hmmmmm.

Posted by: Yaron | Sep 2, 2007 5:47:06 PM

the magic letters

Ask him what the magic letters say.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 2, 2007 6:53:05 PM

my first day of school was great... woke up on time, took a shower, got ready, etc....

then by the time the end of the week came around i was slowly rolling out of bed just before i had to run, no time to shower...

bleah. and i don't even have a parent to come in and wake me up :-P

Posted by: Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) | Sep 2, 2007 7:34:28 PM

Hatzlacha to the kids!

School didn't start off as smoothly as I would have liked, but things are under control now. I'm so glad I'm in college now.

Posted by: tnspr569 | Sep 2, 2007 8:47:47 PM

Hehe... Yonah is learning the youngest sibling's most important job - ratting out the older ones.

Posted by: matlabfreak | Sep 3, 2007 12:04:35 AM

Hatzlacha to the kids! First day back at school was always exciting for me...too bad I work all year 'round now.

Posted by: Sara K | Sep 3, 2007 1:06:02 AM

My kids started school 10 days ago. Florida starts much earlier than NY, so by this time, they are spending the Labor Day weekend doing their homework. Never happened before, but I heard no complaints, so everything is fine.

Regards to all,