« I finally found somethng nice to say about the French! | Main | Be careful what you wish for... »

Friday, August 17, 2007

Echoes of footsteps

Walking with my kids through the endless corridors... past displays... elephants... whales... fossils... minerals... DINOSAURS!... I watch them stand in the same place that I stood roughly a million years ago.

I watch as they run from display to display, out of breath with the effort of taking it all in and trying to contemplate that things were ever so big and colorful or real so far in the past.

I hold their tender hands as the familiar displays rush past us and feel a sensory memory of my own tiny hand held in the wise, guiding hands of my parents.  These halls have waited for me all these years.

I had always thought that a trip to the American Museum of Natural History was my adventure... a child's treat for me alone.  But I now realize that there is a different, maybe better, level of experience for parents as they return to see these ancient treasures through their children's eyes.

As I listen to the echoes of the footsteps in these magical hallways, I don't know if they belong to my children... or if I'm somehow hearing my own small footfalls from the distant past.

Shabbat Shalom

Posted by David Bogner on August 17, 2007 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Echoes of footsteps:

Comments

Wonderful!

We want pictures. :)

Posted by: orieyenta | Aug 17, 2007 5:57:31 PM

I like the planetarium with the space show. Very cool.
MH

Posted by: mata hari | Aug 17, 2007 6:08:44 PM

I loved taking our kids there.
O... I suppose they loved it too :)

Posted by: weese | Aug 17, 2007 6:30:55 PM

I love watching my children's faces as we wander through the world.

There is something very pleasing about sharing these experiences with them.

Good Shabbos to all.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 17, 2007 6:50:34 PM

Wow -- I haven't been there in .... EVER! LOL

Here I live what, an hour away?? LOL

Yeah, I need to get around to that...

Posted by: Tina-cious.com | Aug 17, 2007 8:36:37 PM

You're in???

Posted by: Shmiel/VV | Aug 17, 2007 8:45:53 PM

Cool Runnings!!!

Every few years, my friends and I meet up in DC and do nothing but one museum after another...eat great meals...and talk about life.

Don't miss the Zoo.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 18, 2007 12:35:37 AM

Shabbat Shalom!!

Posted by: tnspr569 | Aug 18, 2007 12:37:15 AM

You're right in my neighborhood, I could have loaned you a motorcycle for a ride. Are you still around? (or would the Mrs. hunt me down for such an offer??)

Posted by: JDMDad | Aug 18, 2007 12:40:53 AM

Check this article out!

Posted by: Alex | Aug 18, 2007 6:41:33 AM

I see I am not the only who thought you all were visiting DC.

I should have known that you meant NY's Museum of Natural History and NOT, the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. ..Sigh..

Too bad, would love to have met the Von Trep family.

Posted by: Jaime | Aug 18, 2007 7:53:16 AM

What a magical place. Is that blue whale still hanging down from the ceiling?

Posted by: yonah | Aug 18, 2007 11:03:09 PM

"...there is a different, maybe better, level of experience for parents as they return to see these ancient treasures through their children's eyes..."
Kinda like when I read Dr. Seuss to my kids. I'll say, "You know, I read 'The Cat in The Hat' when I was your age," and they'll say, "Really? There were books back then?"
Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Posted by: psachya | Aug 19, 2007 5:21:01 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! not only was there no photo friday but u came to NYC and didnt even let ur mindless cultic fans know?? not fare guru, not fair at all.

Posted by: brad | Aug 19, 2007 7:49:22 AM

I love when you write like that! Send my love to Zahava and the kiddies!

Posted by: sarahb | Aug 19, 2007 12:07:13 PM

Wait a sec...WTF? Youse were in New York, YOU HAVE MY NUMBER, and I get nothing? Not even a phone call saying lets meet for lunch??? Or even so much as a hello? I'll just sit here, aleyne vi a shteyne, in the corner, like a wet dog.

Posted by: Erica | Aug 19, 2007 8:55:34 PM

Considering the number of David Bogner fans (Treppheads? Treppenvolk?) in the NYC area, y'all should just hold a Treppenwitz convention next time he's in the States. That way he can meet everyone at once and stay out of the doghouse. :)

Posted by: Karl Newman | Aug 20, 2007 3:28:21 AM

orieyenta ... We just got a new digital camera so that isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

mata hari... Didn't do the planetarium this time (e were afraid Yonah wouldn't sit still)... but a god time was had by all.

weese... Just so we have our priorities right. :-)

Jack... Thanks.

Tina-cious.com ... Ran into your daughter while out shopping. I think she was a little creeped that some strange man recognized her from your blog. :-)

Shmiel/VV... Let the guilt begin. :-)

Sam... Um, I'm in the metro NY area... but thanks for the tip. :-)

tnspr569... Thanks.

JDMDad... WOw, an offer of a bike to ride would almost be worth the drive down to DC. :-) Thanks.

Jaime... Yes, I guess I wasn't clear. Wish I could have made it down if only to say hello.

Yonah... Where would it go?

psachya... Thanks.

brad... Um, dude... like I'm getting enough guilt from some of the people I actually know here. Cut me some slack. :-)

sarahb ... Don't thank me... :-)

Erica... Any special reason you use the past tense. I'm still in town (if Connecticut can be called 'in town'). :-)

Karl Newman... Yeah, because not being able to get my act together enogh to see all the people I actually know and miss leaves me with all kinds of time to do sothing like tat. :-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 20, 2007 8:02:39 AM

I've always loved the place - my grandfather worked there and we have retirement pictures of him next to the elephant! I remember the times I visited as a child with my parents, and then with my own children. Before moving to Israel I made many rounds through the museum with my husband's numerous family members who came to visit the "hotel" in Amerrrrica!!! But there's nothing like going through there with your own children and listening to all of their reactions! Note to Psachya: You'd be amazed at what they've done to Dr.Seuss in Hebrew! My English copy of the "Cat in the Hat" was originally mine, then my older children, and now is waiting for my baby - the Israeli - to get better in English so that she can read it too. In the meantime, we are building the library with Dr. Seuss in Hebrew!!!

Posted by: madelyn | Aug 20, 2007 3:22:23 PM