« Echoes of footsteps | Main | Another example of 'different' being 'better' »

Monday, August 20, 2007

Be careful what you wish for...

One of my musician friends who moved to Israel a few years before we did was appalled to hear that I had accepted four gigs with my old band during our planned visit to the states.  I think his exact words were:

"By the middle of the second gig you'll wish you were back here with people shooting at you."

I just got home from playing my third gig and I am sooooooo tired.  Don't get me wrong... I love the bandstand 'hang' and I truly miss the guys, but I don't miss this feeling at 1:15AM... the feeling that someone has been hitting me with a stick for 6 hours.  Did I really used to do this several times a week?!

So far during this visit I've done a gig in Boston... another one at Ciprianni's on Wall Street... and tonight's affair was at the Rye Town Hilton.

One more to go...

If you see a guy in a tux drinking coffee late at night at a rest stop this week... it will probably be me.

Posted by David Bogner on August 20, 2007 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Be careful what you wish for...:

Comments

Did I really used to do this several times a week?!

Thirty years ago you were much younger and far more energetic. Just imagine what it would be like if you were still 20.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 20, 2007 10:07:20 AM

At least the tux still fits!

Posted by: Alan T | Aug 20, 2007 12:12:08 PM

What a walk down memory lane - the last time I saw a guy in a tux at the Rye Town Hilton it was the 70's at my high school prom!

Posted by: madelyn | Aug 20, 2007 3:04:19 PM

Go get 'em! (Think of all the calories you're burning!)

Posted by: Albert | Aug 20, 2007 4:32:54 PM

LOL... sounds like fun though! :) Well, at least the not being beaten by a stick part...

Posted by: Tina-cious.com | Aug 20, 2007 5:30:19 PM

When God wishes to punish us, He grants our prayers.

Posted by: antares | Aug 20, 2007 6:10:54 PM

I remember how cool I first thought it was that I was playing in bars when I was 15. Then 2:00 a.m. would hit, and all I could think was, "What the hell am I doing in a bar at 2:00 am? I'm 15, for crying out loud!"

Posted by: dfb1968 | Aug 20, 2007 9:12:33 PM

I was supposed to be at Rye, but I got myself on a diffrent gig instead, and I feel great!

Posted by: Jordan Hirsch | Aug 20, 2007 9:46:50 PM

Be thankful you don't have to shlep an amp...or a PA system. Oy.

Posted by: Psychotoddler | Aug 21, 2007 3:11:08 AM

It's still nice to be in demand, n'est pas?

Posted by: mata hari | Aug 21, 2007 4:19:43 AM

It ain't the work -- it's the hours. Gentlemen of your age are better suited to playing at bar mitzvahs anyway.

Posted by: Bob | Aug 21, 2007 5:34:28 AM

Oy - PHD and I should have gotten married while you were here. You with Mark/PT would have made for some interesting wedding music! ;)

Posted by: orieyenta | Aug 21, 2007 4:56:59 PM

that's the last time i request you on one of my jobs

Posted by: Robert I | Aug 21, 2007 7:39:00 PM

Jack... Glass houses, my friend. :-)

Alan T... It's actually a little loose. :-)

madelyn... It used to be one of my regular places to play. at least at this job the Westchester Union guy didn't show up and harass me for not paying dues to the local.

Albert... I think the baby lamb I reassembled at the shmorg kinda canceled that out. :-)

Tina-cious.com... it is fun. I'm just feeling my age.

antares... No, when G-d wants to punsih us he puts us on gigs in Williamsburg (inside joke).

dfb1968... I did my first gig as a 16 year old at a hotel in the catskills. Good times.

Jordan Hirsch... But you didn't get to play KC & the Sunshine Band and Earth Wind & Fire tunes. :-)

Psychotoddler... I did a lot of years as a bandleader... shlepping a PA to all my jobs. Nice to be a side man again.

mata hari... Heck, it's nice to be remembered. :-)

Bob... Not by a long shot. Bar Mitzvahs take much more energy. Give me a nice society gig any day. :-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 21, 2007 7:57:12 PM

first of all, who cares. Second, what makes you think I didn't on the job I did?

Posted by: jordan Hirsch | Aug 21, 2007 11:28:20 PM