« Been busy... | Main | Maybe I need to post a warning label of some kind »

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sleeping with Abba

[Note:  For the purposes of this post, 'Abba' is Hebrew for father... not the name of a kitschy Swedish band from the 70s]

I've mentioned in the past that all of our kids have gone through their stage of sneaking into the parental bed during the night.  I should clarify that by 'parental bed' I mean my side of the parental bed since my wife does not do well with little visitors thrashing around during the wee hours of the morning.

So, whenever the need has arisen for nocturnal comforting, all of the kids in their turn have instinctively known that they could insinuate themselves into abba's bed without too much resistance.

Based on the number of late-night requests I've received to 'snuggle you' in the past few months, I'm guessing that Yonah, our three-and-a-half year old, is almost finshed with this stage.  But apparently he isn't completely finshed with it.

I work for a company in Israel's Aerospace/Defense industry, and gaining entrance to my workplace requires that I present a special plastic photo-ID card that has all sorts of information about me embedded in a microchip.

When I was getting ready to leave for work this morning I couldn't find my plastic ID card.  Since I wear it in a display case attached to a lanyard around my neck, it usually lives on one of a hook near the door when I'm at home.  However, this morning it wasn't there.

I checked our bedroom.  Not there.  I checked the kitchen counters... all of the living-room bookshelves... behind all the couch cushions... nadda!  I was getting increasingly stressed as the minutes ticked by and finally decided that I wasn't going to find it.

While not the end of the world (this happens about once every two months), it is certainly a pain in the butt.  It always turns up in a fairly obvious place... but showing up at work without my ID requires a trip to see the company's security officer... answering questions ("No, I didn't lose it... I just couldn't find it this morning... see the difference?"), and having to be issued a temporary ID card for the day.

Besides looking like a complete flake in front of the guy who determines my security clearance, it means having to get out of the car and request/return the card at the beginning and end of the workday.  Not fun.

Anyway, about 15 minutes after my usual departure time I had finally resigned myself to having to face the security officer again and went upstairs to give the kids their kisses goodbye.  Ariella didn't budge as I kissed her cheek... and Gilad was too tangled up in his sheets on the far side of his bed to reach him.

But when I went to give Yonah his kiss I stopped short.  There, pressed against his sweaty cheek with both hands, was my company ID card.  Apparently, as he'd headed off to bed last night with the big kids, he'd decided he needed to sleep with his abba - or at least a picture of his abba - and swiped my ID card and lanyard off the hook on his way upstairs.

I was a little later than usual this morning... but I smiled all the way to work.

216

Posted by David Bogner on July 29, 2007 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sleeping with Abba:

Comments

that is too too sweet. as someone who also has nocturnal "snugglers," i can identify. maybe our main snuggler will be content with a photo too. hmmmmmm.....

Posted by: nikki | Jul 29, 2007 11:56:09 AM

What an adorable story!

My kids also love their Papa's work ID card - just a little glimpse of his face is sometimes the reassurance they need!

As for my pictures, I don't mind if they need one around, as long as I don't have to go through the rigamarole (again!) of searching for my driver's license and finding it crammed into the little toy change purse they play with!

Posted by: RaggedyMom | Jul 29, 2007 6:01:57 PM

That is SO sweet. And that picture probably doesn't have that scratchy beard affect either! :: ducking and running!:::

Posted by: val | Jul 29, 2007 6:43:59 PM

Awww. I'm sure you forgot all about your frustration when you saw that. :D

Posted by: Maya | Jul 29, 2007 7:36:58 PM

Aww...how sweet! That's worth being late to work for.

Posted by: evariste | Jul 29, 2007 9:06:03 PM

Just too darn cute. I think the closest my kids came to that was taking currency out of my wallet and heading to their bedrooms. :)

Posted by: Tim | Jul 29, 2007 9:52:56 PM

That is adorable!

Posted by: Shevy | Jul 30, 2007 5:27:05 AM

we have a lot of trouble with my son's sleeping habits (pretty much since he was born), and sleeping with us is a regular occurence.

he also loves to play with my work ID.

hmm. maybe this is a way to finally get him into the crib without a fight.

thanks.

Posted by: ari kinsberg | Jul 30, 2007 8:43:04 AM

Awwwwww. I've been looking for a positive twist to the 15-year-old's cute habit of taking my credit card to bed. Thank you. Had I only known he just wanted to get closer to us! Now that I know it helps him sleep, I'll stop freaking out.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Jul 30, 2007 11:02:21 AM

Too too cute. Just when I couldn't imagine adoring Yonah any more than I already do...

Posted by: orieyenta | Jul 30, 2007 5:37:21 PM

Sweet!
BTW, we don't have that issue, as the doorknob to our room is a bit too hard (so far) for our kids to open. Of course, we have to deal with 3 AM thumpings on the door, and the little one screaming bloody murder in her crib at 4...
Ahhh, the joys of parenthood. But we love 'em.

Posted by: psachya | Jul 30, 2007 5:37:30 PM

Oh, that is too precious!

Posted by: SaraK | Jul 30, 2007 6:31:32 PM

i love that!!!

Posted by: marallyn | Jul 31, 2007 8:23:47 AM

that really was quite adorable imagery! What a sweet little boy!

by the way... nada only has one 'd'... I never understand your Hebrew, but feel ok correcting your spanish! ;-)

And kitschy??? I love ABBA!! Of course, it's all capital letters, so I figured you meant Dad...

Posted by: nrg | Jul 31, 2007 10:39:09 AM