« Misguided Boycotts | Main | The Inevitable Concession Post »

Friday, December 15, 2006

My bilingual boy

Our three year old Yonah was what you might call a 'late bloomer' when it came to talking.  There are lots of things behind this whole late blooming thing... but he seems to be making up for lost time now.

Having been born to American parents in Israel, Yonah has had the added challenge of learning to communicate in two languages... not to mention figuring out when and where each language is appropriate.

A heartwarming story from the supermarket that was related to me by my lovely wife:

Zahava and a friend were conversing when they noticed Yonah trying to force his way past another shopper.  After a few tentative shoves against the offending leg blocking his progress, he finally looked up at the obstacle shopper and yelled "ZOOZ!!!" (literally 'MOVE' in Hebrew).

Without missing a beat, the woman with whom my wife had been talking said, "Oh how cute... he's already learned to say 'excuse me' in Hebrew.

Our little Israeli is growing up so fast.  We're so proud.

*********************************************************

OK folks, the polls close today so this is your last chance to cast your vote for treppenwitz in the finals of the Weblog Awards.  You guys have been great so far... but this is for all the marbles.  Go Vote!

Note to Doctor Bean:  We're having brunch with my folks so Photo Friday may be up a bit late (if at all).
220_31_15

Posted by David Bogner on December 15, 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference My bilingual boy:

Comments

I'm trying to vote. I'm trying! But the voting page thinks I already voted in the last 24 hours, even though I didn't.

Oh. Wait. I should probably check with the cat.

Posted by: uberimma | Dec 15, 2006 3:52:42 AM

Hi David from all the way over here in California!

A bit off-topic:

I'd like you to go and read Dr. Flea's response to the holiday meme:

"Rob from Musings of a Distractible Mind has tagged me with a most challenging meme. The problem is that, being a member of the Tribe of Israel, I celebrate a different holiday at this season. So, with the appropriate changes having been made, here goes:"

This is in the way of an introduction, as I just commended your blog to him.

Posted by: Liz | Dec 15, 2006 4:04:13 AM

Cute story! : )

Posted by: Irina | Dec 15, 2006 5:01:20 AM

LOL!

It's not the translations of words that's important, it's the CULTURAL translations... and it looks like he's got that stereotypically perfect ;-) .

Posted by: Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) | Dec 15, 2006 6:53:57 AM

My mother-in-law's name is Susan and my big fear was that when our daughter met her for the first time, and was approached with a hug, she (our daughter) would respond "Zuzi! Dai!"

That means "Go away, enough", but sounds awfully similar to "Susie, die!"

Posted by: Dave (Balashon) | Dec 15, 2006 1:28:28 PM

Cute story...
How come you have to tell only Dr Bean that photo friday may be delayed??? I KNEW you always liked him better!!!!!
Shabbat Shalom.

Posted by: val | Dec 15, 2006 1:36:48 PM

a similarly cute story of my own... while in the supermarket with my then two-year-old, i was trying to decide between two similar items. standing with my back to the shopping cart in which she was sitting, i was apparently taking too long to decide as i heard a tiny voice intone, "nu?"

the woman stocking a nearby shelf turned to me and gave me a knowing half-smile!

Posted by: nikki | Dec 15, 2006 3:23:47 PM

Only in Israel would we produce rapturous sighs over children yelling rude commands at strangers. ;)

Nes gadol.

חג חנוכה שמח!

Posted by: Account Deleted | Dec 15, 2006 5:19:37 PM

sorry about the results of the Award, really did my best to spread the message around. I too had 2 occasions when I was told "you have already voted in the last 24 hours" - when I am sure I did not.

Posted by: savta yaffa | Dec 16, 2006 6:57:51 PM

Posted by: savta yaffa | Dec 16, 2006 6:59:13 PM

Aww- even cuter than the last time I saw him :)

You can spot a fresh foreigner here very easily if you ever hear the word "slicha", "bevakasha", or "efshar" in a normal conversation. Some habits are just too hard to break :)

Posted by: tnspr569 | Dec 16, 2006 7:26:15 PM

uberimma... LOL... thanks (to you and the kitty).

Elizabeth Ditz... Why thank you. I have a conference all scheduled today which means I'll have plenty of time to read the link you sent. :-)

Irina... Yup, that's my boy.

Steg... This kid is no 'frier'. :-)

Dave (Balashon)... Yeah, I could see that not going over well. :-)

Val... Because you only get disappointed. Doctor Bean starts to self-medicate. :-)

nikki... Perfect! I can so hear Yonah doing that as well. :-)

a. ... Thanks. Seasons greetings to you and yours.

savta yaffa... Puleeze, I am delighted with the results. I was worried that I'd end up sort of an afterthought's afterthought in the polls. Treppenwitz had a very respectably showing (in part thanks to you).

tnspr569... True, old habits die hard.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Dec 17, 2006 1:01:03 PM