« I'm just saying... | Main | No refuge for the socially inept »

Friday, September 01, 2006

Photo Friday (vol. LXXVI) [Back to school Edition]

This coming Sunday morning marks a milestone that pretty much every parent has marked in big red letters on their calendars:  Back to school day!

Summer camp turned to summer vacation.  Summer vacation turned to summer shopping.  And summer shopping turned to being hopelessly and perpetually underfoot.

We love our children beyond measure... but will be so profoundly happy when they are back in school and someone/something else will be responsible for structuring their days.

The big news around here is that, for the first time, Yonah is heading off to school as well.  OK, 'school' might be a slight overstatement... but 'Gan Shalosh' (three-year-old nursery) is a big step and will be a full day away from home for him.

He'll be picked up in the morning and dropped off in the afternoon.  And he'll be eating lunches with his school-mates... not his mom.

Since Yonah's preparations for school didn't involve the endless purchases of text- and work-books that Ari and Gili did, we were worried that he wouldn't properly feel the anticipation of the big day... so Zahava went out and bought him his own 'Tik Gav' (backpack) to hold his... well, does it really matter what it will hold?  Every school kid needs a backpack!
Img_4597
What do you think... is he a little excited?
Img_4614
It's going to be strange having three kids in school.  The two big kids are understandably stoic about the whole transition back into the world of obligations and responsibility.

But Yonah is just at the jumping off point. Wish him luck.
Img_4595
Shabbat Shalom!
221_16_59

Posted by David Bogner on September 1, 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (vol. LXXVI) [Back to school Edition]:

Comments

he is just beautiful! Reminds me so much of my son that it's scary...my little viking LOVES daycare. Absolutely adores it. I'm sure Yonah will too! Best of luck!!

Posted by: nrg | Sep 1, 2006 11:30:10 AM

You guys have gan until 3:00? How did that happen (by us it is to 1:20)

Posted by: westbankmama | Sep 1, 2006 12:22:15 PM

nrg, same with my daughter. On her first day of Gan Israel Preschool (through Chabad) last year, there were several kids who cried and didn't want their mothers to leave in the morning. My daughter just said good bye and went and played. But in the afternoon, she cried, and didn't want my wife to take her home, and was the last one to leave. She's excited about starting again next week.

Posted by: Nighthawk700 | Sep 1, 2006 12:48:53 PM

That boy is hysterical! (Nice photo setup leaving him standing on the changing table!! I'm sure that's safe!)
Give the kids back to school kisses for me.

Posted by: val | Sep 1, 2006 12:59:11 PM

What a cutie!!!

Val- I think that's his big-boy bed, with a guardrail on it, not a changing table.

Wow. I wish *I* were that excited about my backpack. Maybe I should be. MINE even has a COMPUTER to carry in it! :-)

Posted by: Sarah | Sep 1, 2006 1:42:58 PM

The excitement is all too visible. The night before the big day, he’s probably going to want to sleep with his Tik Gav and get up at 3 in the morning ready for gan! :)

All the best Yonah!

Posted by: pk | Sep 1, 2006 2:06:42 PM

WBM: By us the Gan Shalosh ragil also goes to 1:20. Yonah is, however, going to Gan Tikshoret, hence the extra hours. David will most likely post more about this in the future. We are all very excited and terribly grateful to have this WONDERFUL education option available here in Efrat! Apparently, not all yishuvim offer this, and as olim we had no idea that such a thing existed, let alone to ask in each of the communities we considered!

I am still pinching myself over his good fortune! His two ganenot are warm and wonderful, and the Gan has the MOST FABUOLOUS set up -- large and small motor skill areas, quiet corners, and a "class room."

NRG/Nighthawk: We are expecting a bit of trauma over the first week. To say that Yonah doesn't transition well would be a bit of an understatement! I am quite certain that there will be some interesting posts over the next few weeks!

Val: He IS child number three!

We figure if he can climb up and down that changing table, monkey-that-he-is, that leaving him there for a second to snap a few shots really doesn't threaten his physical wellfare all that much....

Sarah: Thanks for the dan l'chaf z'chut! But it IS changing table. Please don't report us to DCW!

PK: You might just be right, though I really hope he does NOT wake up at 3 am -- for all our sakes!

Posted by: zahava | Sep 1, 2006 2:56:48 PM

youngest kid leaving home...my youngest Rafi is also leaving home, he is off to Yeshiva (Maale Gilboa) the same one his big brother went to 10 years ago. He is leaving coming Sunday. I of course am very cool about it all, cool and accepting life realities. It is just...taking me 5 times longer then usual to prepare Shabbat today. I wonder why. Your boy is delightful. Hope he settles well and fast in gan. I know from past experience that my boys adjusted quicker then I. Shabbat Shalom

Posted by: savta yaffa | Sep 1, 2006 3:06:17 PM

that kid is simply too cute.

i love it when they are small and so excited to go back to school.

Posted by: weese | Sep 1, 2006 3:12:05 PM

As our #3 headed off to kindergarten -- with both of his big brothers looking out for him -- this week, we get a reprieve. And then next week the reprieve is over when #4 arrives. We have so many parallels between us, David, so...?

Posted by: Drew | Sep 1, 2006 3:21:27 PM

There was a "G" there when I typed it. Oh, well.

Good Shabbos!

Posted by: Drew | Sep 1, 2006 3:22:30 PM

Zahava,
When the littlest viking started in barnehage (daycare), he had his big sister there, so he didn't cry at all. Until last week when she started school and wasn't going with him anymore... it was sad and he cried every day for the whole week. But this week, he realized it was just the way things are now and is happy again.
I'm sure he will find his place and settle in. Do you have a few days where you stay with him to help with adjustment. We even get two days paid from work for this.

Posted by: nrg | Sep 1, 2006 3:26:48 PM

ah yes, leaving for school. im doing that too on sunday. landing hopefully mon night around 6pm. cant wait to see you guys again!

he is eizeh chamud (how cute!), thats all i have to say. oh, and he has the bogner face.

Posted by: Tonny | Sep 1, 2006 3:27:50 PM

b'hatzlachah yonah!!! i bet your ganenet is going to be crazy mad after you...i know i would be if you were in my gan..how can anyone help loving a face like that tfu tfu tfu...oh an btw...my baby went to gan twenty years ago...he was fine...i cried all the way home...shabbat shalom

Posted by: marallyn | Sep 1, 2006 3:46:48 PM

To all those posters saying Yonah is "too cute" - no such thing. Every ounce of his cuteness is part of the Divine plan.

Good Luck Yonah!

Posted by: Ben-David | Sep 1, 2006 4:44:06 PM

He looks so happy. That is very cool. Good luck to Yonah and good Shabbos to all.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 1, 2006 5:13:38 PM

everytime my kids started a new school, I cried...when my oldest started college, he wouldn't let me take him...can't imagine why.
Yonah is adorable...love that feisty smile!

Posted by: cruisin-mom | Sep 1, 2006 6:37:04 PM

He is so adorable! His excitement definitely come thru in the photo. I'm sure you will keep us posted on his progress. Shabbat Shalom!

Posted by: Essie | Sep 1, 2006 6:50:24 PM

Good luck to the little guy! He certainly seems prepared to meet the world. Very cute.

I remember my oldest daughter's (she's 19 now) first day of kindergarten. We lived across the street from the school so we gathered up her stuff in her backpack and walked to the school but once inside she had me stop when we reached the hallway to her classroom. She wanted to do it by herself. As I watched her walking down the hall I began to tear up and had to leave the building real quick because I was starting to cry. Now, we're attending school together. She's a freshman in the same college I attend.

Posted by: dragonlady474 | Sep 1, 2006 7:07:53 PM

My wife had the foresight to photograph our children standing at the front door of the house on the first day of school each year. With our youngest just starting college, now we have the completed montage of beaming babies growing into burly men.

Yonah so reminds me of that long-gone kindergartener posing with his oversized smile and backpack. (Caution: That grin turns into a sighing shrug and eye-roll along about seventh grade. But the good news is, the boy's bemusement somehow returns before high school graduation.)

Posted by: Bob | Sep 1, 2006 7:29:56 PM

Yonah, did you get the keys to the car yet? Have fun!

Posted by: Yaron | Sep 2, 2006 1:39:20 AM

That is SO cute! I love this pics! : )

Posted by: Irina | Sep 2, 2006 4:48:25 AM

So exciting! A classroom of beaming kids like this was what I LOVED about being a Kingergarten teacher...and then of course I think every kid I ever taught cried at least once in my class.

He reminds me of how I looked on my first day of ulpan. Not. ;-)

Posted by: John | Sep 2, 2006 10:00:50 AM

good luck to all the kids going back to school!

and the backpack is sooo important for going off to Gan... it is the symbol of being a 'big kid'

;)

Posted by: Sarah | Sep 2, 2006 12:53:29 PM

Aw that's so sweet! It's always good to see a kid greet the new school year with a scowl instead of a smile. (At least until he grows older, wiser and more cynical like the rest of us.) Shabbat shalom!

Posted by: Chantyshira | Sep 2, 2006 9:29:44 PM

Little boys and toy cars- you have got to love it. I still have some of mine.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 3, 2006 7:35:29 AM

I feel like I just watched that video of him taking his first steps!

Posted by: Alice | Sep 4, 2006 5:28:13 PM

No question, Yonah is adorable! What WILL you put in his backpack?

Posted by: mcaryeh | Sep 6, 2006 12:50:14 PM

g'luck Yonah!

Liam also starts school this coming 'fall' (autumn to us), but here that's not till February. Very exciting. For us (Chris & I) at least.

Posted by: Kay | Sep 12, 2006 10:00:45 AM