« A question of philosophy | Main | Stuff that keeps me up nights »

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I need some time

I've woken up every morning this week hoping for a reason not to be angry. The reason for this unusual aspiration is that I know from experience that the one thing 100% guaranteed to chase away any shred of creativity I might have possessed when I opened my eyes... is anger.

But then I check the news sites... and the anger returns.

Every morning I read about more stonings... more Molotov cocktails... more stabbings... more shootings... more roadside bombs... more kassams.

Why are the terrorists turninig up the heat?

Because they can smell the weakness and indecision wafting off of our leaders and are pressing what they perceive to be their advantage.

Since our leaders agreed to that shameful ceasefire they have continued making and breaking a seemingly endless stream of promises.  They promised the Israeli people that the laughable terms of the ceasefire would lead to the unconditional return of the hostages.  They promised the families of the hostages they wouldn't lift the embargo of Lebanon until the hostages were returned.  They promised the world they would never negotiate a prisoner exchange with terrorists.

I am sick inside at the realization that there is literally no honor in the lot of them and that there is quite simply no promise our current leaders won't break.

I have woken up every morning this week thoroughly ashamed to be an Israeli... and far too angry to write.

I'm sorry... I need some time.

220_31_12

Posted by David Bogner on September 6, 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I need some time:

» Stick A Fork In Me. from My So-Called Blog
Im done. Well done, in fact. Much like one of my other favorite bloggers, Im dealing with some emotional fallout that is seriously inhibiting my Muse. Current events on so many planes are just too draining and too omnipresent to let any i... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 10, 2007 12:43:53 AM

Comments

unfortunately, there is a spillover to the rest of the world for Israel's eakness, a huge increase in antisemitic attacks. we all pay the price

Posted by: dave | Sep 7, 2006 12:04:38 AM

Hei David.
So sorry to hear that you are feeling like this. I have not commented before but tis the time now.
People the world over do not get this situation at all in Israel and all the do-gooders have done their huge mistakes - both the politicians and the rest of 'em so that any honorable human being on the planet feels thoroughly appalled..

Here is a quote: "It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. Aesop"

Posted by: Riihele | Sep 7, 2006 12:21:38 AM

ditto that david...mahn tracht un Gott lacht...stay safe

Posted by: marallyn | Sep 7, 2006 1:28:55 AM

It must be so difficult... I hardly even look at the news anymore... Can I handle the truth? Yes. But I prefer to find out from bloggers. I hope all this comes to an end soon... I hope Olmert either gets his act together or gets out. I hope... for a lot of things, an dmainly, for the best for Israel.

Posted by: Irina | Sep 7, 2006 2:41:25 AM

The western world has gutless leaders. No one has the nerve to do what needs to be done to end this once and for all. Here in
Canada our Leader is brave but the opposition are nipping at his heels over Afghanistan. I am scared for the future of humankind.

Posted by: rositta | Sep 7, 2006 3:26:33 AM

Prayers.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 7, 2006 5:46:44 AM

Peace upon you, David. I know how you feel.

Posted by: Lachlan | Sep 7, 2006 6:00:57 AM

Trepp, thanks for your honesty.

Posted by: cruisin-mom | Sep 7, 2006 6:11:26 AM

I think many of us are feeling similarly...for me there is anger, but mostly frustration and sadness. It is like watching a train wreck happen over and over again...

Posted by: mcaryeh | Sep 7, 2006 7:42:31 AM

David, the terrorist you detest, fear what they don’t understand and hate what they can’t conquer! They understand your politics very well (this world would be a better place without politicians)… but they simply have no idea what it is like to be an Israeli, a Jew, at home living a simple or complicated life amidst fellow Jews, I believe that they can’t take that feeling away from you or anyone else who is at home in Israel … Now, get on your keyboard and key-in something for today!!! :-)

Posted by: pk | Sep 7, 2006 8:24:30 AM

Maybe take a lesson from thist old joke:

(found here http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/175215/jokeid/52868 but I've seen it in many other formats)

A Jewish man was riding on the subway reading an Arab newspaper.A friend of his, who happened to be riding in the same subway car, noticed this strange phenomenon.
Very upset, he approached him and said:"Moshe, have you lost your mind? Why are you reading an Arab newspaper?"

Moshe replied,
"I used to read the Jewish newspapers, but what did I find?
Jews being persecuted, Israel being attacked, Jews disappearing
through assimilation and intermarriage, Jews living in poverty.

So I switched to the Arab newspaper. Now what do I find?
Jews own all the banks,Jews control the media, Jews are all rich and powerful, Jews rule the world.

The news is so much better!"

Posted by: Dave (Balashon) | Sep 7, 2006 2:02:57 PM

Or is it just because the stuff is now happening literally right outside your front door:

1) Attempted kidnapping of a taxi driver
2)shooting last night that hit a truck
3) multiple stonings of cars
4) throwing paint at the front window of passing egged buses (they just may want the old color back).
5) multiple infiltration attempts
6) burning down of jewish farms
7) jewish shepherds severely beaten

and unfortunately I can go on...

Posted by: JoeSettler | Sep 7, 2006 2:31:29 PM

Prayers.

Posted by: seawitch | Sep 7, 2006 3:10:05 PM

The world needs to see Nasrallah's corpse smoking in what used to be his car. They need to see large craters in Iran where their reactors and nuclear fuel processing plants were. Until then, they know that the US and Israel do not pose a serious threat to their enemies.

I have instructed many a patient in the last month to avoid the news for a while.

Be well.

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Sep 7, 2006 4:16:33 PM

I am still in disbelief about the ceasefire. What happened to the goal of the mission?

I can imagine how you must feel. It is terribly upsetting that the soldiers still have not been realized. What was gained? So much was lost.

Posted by: Stacey | Sep 7, 2006 6:26:32 PM

We're ignoring the news. And that's from two inveterate news-watchers of the 24/7 variety. We found we couldn't sleep well, we were out of sorts all the time. Listen, David, anger is better than despair if that's any comfort. It's also better than playing ostrich which is what we feel like we're doing right now. I can hardly wait to vote.....

Posted by: aliyah06 | Sep 7, 2006 6:49:03 PM

I am so sorry you feel this way, though it's no wonder... Whenever I get too angry, whatever I wanted to write turns into a rant, and it's no longer pleasant to read, it's ugly and drives people away. Maybe if you single out one particular moment or incident in all this, you can write about that and help prevent the general insanity from overwhelming you?

Lately I've been pretty apathetic and resigned to the news, unless something especially outrageous happens - like last week in Montreal, a man tossed a Molotov cocktail into a Hassidic yeshiva, causing significant damage to the building (thank Gd no one was hurt). But the police are refusing to treat it as a hate crime because he didn't leave a note or paint any swastikas on the walls to "prove" the incident was anti-Semitic. As my (non-Jewish) friend put it, "right, he just happened to stroll by a Jewish school with a Molotov cocktail in his hand..."

Dave (Bashalon) - I saw that joke a few years ago and loved it, but back then it was about a Nazi newspaper. So to see it about an Arab newspapers is kind of depressing. ^^;; It's still a good joke though.

Posted by: Chantyshira | Sep 7, 2006 7:10:52 PM

Take as much time as you need... (the title of the post sounds suspiciously like a break-up line; it better not be!!)

Take care.

Posted by: zemirah | Sep 7, 2006 7:16:44 PM

Oh, and another thing. Cardiovascular exercise is a great way to decrease stress. As is sex.

No need to thank me.

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Sep 7, 2006 10:04:15 PM

I guess this is a good time for Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur to be coming around. We certainly won't be lacking things to pray for. All best to you & yours, Dave, and may next year be a better one than this was.

Posted by: psachya | Sep 8, 2006 1:45:40 AM

make sail captain! it’s Friday and we all need [Photo Friday]. Al Tid'ag :-)

Posted by: pk | Sep 8, 2006 8:36:02 AM

David,
I also have not commented before but today you have moved me in a very strong way.

All I can say is "I'm sorry". Israel has always been such a strong force, and to see it lie down as it has must be disheartening to the people who have fought so hard for their heritage and their homeland.

After 9/11 I was so very proud of our country, standing together and vowing to fight these terrorists, and to stop them. Now it seems as if we are cowing down to them, afraid of profiling, afraid of what others may say about us. Civil liberties do not count for people who will blow up their own children, and those of their neighbors, in the name of God.

Until the governments of Israel, America and Great Britain become strong and forceful again, I am afraid we are all going to wake up each day angrier than we were the day before.

Posted by: Terri in Pa | Sep 8, 2006 4:20:24 PM

Photo Friday (vol. LXXVII) [Anger Edition] or [I Needed Some Time and Got It Edition]

It can be funny how events unfold, no?

Just after posting my most recent “I Need Some Time” post, I decided to take a walk to burn off some steam. So I’m strolling around, kicking rocks, muttering curses about Olmert, when around the corner a motorcade rolls into my view. The cars pull over and Olmert gets out. And he starts shaking hands of passersby and his photographer is snapping pictures and he’s spouting Kadima slogans. Well, I’m incensed, so I come up with a plan. I look straight at Olmert and put on the biggest dumbest smile I could manage and I walk right at him. When I get closer he extends his hand and I extend mine and right before our hands touch I kick him as hard as I can.

Here’s a picture taken during Olmert’s sigmoidoscopy clearly visualizing my right shoe.

[PHOTO]

Doctors (I’m told) spent two hours trying to remove it. They’re not giving back to me either.

Well, say what you will about the Israeli judicial system, but they don’t much hanker for actual battery on their elected officials. This is a picture of me in my prison cell.

[PHOTO]

It was taken by my cellmate, Bubba. He seems to like me.

And this last picture is Zahava holding a sign with the address where you can send money so she can raise the kids. Yonah is halfway behind the sign. Isn’t he cute?

[PHOTO]

Shabbat shalom!

Posted by David Bogner on September 8, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Sep 8, 2006 4:37:47 PM

Cardiovascular exercise is a great way to decrease stress. As is sex.

Doctor,

If it is done right it is all inclusive. And this concludes our comment on the obvious.

And for something a little lighter may I suggest a trip to visit a Bollywood superstar.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 8, 2006 6:38:16 PM

so why isnt the opposition doing anything? Why havent there been huge rallies with calls for the goverment to resign?

Posted by: alexbmn | Sep 10, 2006 8:54:34 PM

I'm not always sure I'm a positive voice. Anyway, things just don't look so dark from here.

First, what I saw from here was professional Israeli forces giving a proper butt-kicking to a bunch of H*zboll*h cowards who couldn't shoot straight. Without foreign intervention, they would have been eventually been crushed.

While I am aware of many mistakes on the part of the Israeli government, it was the outside pressure that ground things to a halt like they did and skewed the battle.

And you are just (pardon me for speaking frankly?) wrong about not being creative when you are angry. Sometimes we get the most delightful pieces when you are on the edge.

If I am too far away to see clearly, then you are too close to things. Don't take all the weight of all things in Israel on your shoulders all the time. But don't shrug like Atlas did either.

This is a wonderful site and it is all your doing. We like what you write and you are among friends. So stop being so hard on yourself all the time.

Finally don't dish anything out back to me, 'cause I can't take it at the level you can dish it out.

Best wishes, and we really do care about you and your family out here :)

Posted by: Seattle | Sep 11, 2006 3:51:46 AM