« Who is a terrorist? | Main | Time well spent? »

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's time

I went to bed last night after reading a post written by the talented and insightful Robert Avrech of Seraphic Secret.

In his post he wrote about the self-imposed IAF moratorium on aerial bombardment as something other than a defacto cease-fire.  He correctly pointed out that nowhere in the Israeli announcement was there even a hint that Israel would halt it's ongoing military campaign against Hezbollah.  They simply announced that - apart form imminent threats - they wouldn't be attacking from the air.

Thus, to anyone clever enough to notice (clever is certainly a word I would use to describe Robert), this opened the possibility that the temporary cessation of aerial bombardment would be an excellent opportunity to insert ground troops into the newly prepared Lebanese battlefield.

As I drifted off to sleep I started thinking about the fact that for most of yesterday the news had been perfectly silent about what our troops were doing up there in the north.  Nearly every media outlet on the planet is up on the Lebanese border with a voracious 24 hour news cycle to feed, and... nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

No reports of what all these thousands of Israeli soldiers were doing during the lull in hostilities.  No human interest pieces about the idle artillery crews and tank battalions playing football or calling home.  Not one little anecdote about the soldiers... while the international spotlight shifted to Jerusalem and the pas de deux between Olmert and Rice.

Then it hit me.  It's time.

I sat up in bed and practically knocked my laptop off it's stand.  There was no news from the north because the military censors had placed a blackout on the area while the ground war Robert predicted got fully underway.  And whether by accident or design, the choreographed meetings between Olmert and Rice in Jerusalem provided perfect misdirection to divert the world's attention.

The perfect magic trick... "look over here, not over there!"

The moment I woke up this morning I rolled over and checked the news and was not surprised to see the beginnings of the ground war story starting to break.  But instead of talking about the three-pronged ground attack in past or present tense... the news was playing catch-up and reporting the ground incursion as something imminent.

My guess is that the Paratroops, Nahal and Golani Brigades are already well on towards the Litani River (if not already there), and starting to encircle the remaining pockets of Hezbollah resistance.  Personally, after watching how Hezbollah deliberately instigated this war and then waged it entirely against the civilian population of northern Israel, I hope they are hunted down... to the very last man.

Israel has tried withdrawal.  Israel has tried concessions.  Israel has tried negotiating.  At ever turn Israel's efforts to simply exist have been answered with unending violence.  We have gotten so good at absorbing violence that we are like a battered wife who still thinks the black eyes, broken bones and missing teeth are somehow her fault!

Now it is time to return violence for violence.

Those who would argue this point and insist that there are still many in the Arab/Muslim camp ready and willing - eager, even - to 'talk', please honestly consider the following (not mine) before submitting a comment:

"If the Arabs were to throw their weapons into the Mediterranean, there would immediately be peace and stability in the region.

If Israel were to throw its weapons into the Mediterranean, the bodies of every Israeli man, woman and child would soon join the Israeli weapons at the bottom of the sea."

219_85

Posted by David Bogner on August 1, 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference It's time:

Comments

I hope and pray that Israel is succesful in excising the cancer of Hizbollah.

Posted by: seawitch | Aug 1, 2006 3:05:32 PM

Shmuely Boteach also used the abused wife example as a way of explaining the flaws in Israel's policy of unilateral consessions.

Did u c his recent article?

Posted by: Andy | Aug 1, 2006 3:08:03 PM

Hey Dave, Can you clue us in as to who that quote is from - the one at the end of your post? Sounds like a perfect "Quote of the Day"! Thanks!

Posted by: yitz | Aug 1, 2006 4:09:07 PM

Interesting... This is what blogs on the other side are predicting about the invasion;

- Approaching the Bekaa Valley and Beirut will leave the IDF's 'right flank' exposed to Syrian air power.
-The main reason why Hezbollah still has weapons even after reprisals from their Lebanese counterparts is because it was a necessity in order to deter Israel against "aggressive expansionism", the "Zionist entity" still has an interest in the Litany River.
- Israel is calling up its reserves. This is never a symbolic gesture in Israel. All Israelis below middle age are in the reserves and mobilization is costly in every sense of the word. If the Israelis were planning a routine reprisal, they would not be mobilizing. But they are, which means they are planning to do substantially more than retributive airstrikes.

My conclusion... Put Iran into all this and I still don't see the slightest possibility of Israelis attempting to swim from Haifa to Cyprus! :-)

Posted by: pk | Aug 1, 2006 4:47:10 PM

i had the exact train of thought... as someone who has become an internet news-junkie, i too thought it strange the sudden silence -- how can it be that there is not one iota of news? i thought my ludlum/clancy novel inspired conspiracy theories were beginning to get the better of me... but i see that i was not alone in my thinking. and the battered wife analogy? perfect. always apologizing... it's a kneejerk reaction by now. but sometimes the battered wife learns to be just as wily and strikes back in defense -- lethally.

Posted by: nikki | Aug 1, 2006 5:29:02 PM

Dave, I'm still waiting for the next "magic trick" wiping these terrorists off the face of the planet.

Posted by: Jewish Blogmeister | Aug 1, 2006 6:18:12 PM

The way Israel is handling the media exposure to this war is absolutely pristine. No Geraldos pointing out military locations for Israel!

GO, IDF, GO!!!

Baruch haShem for prophecy in action!

Posted by: Shanah | Aug 1, 2006 8:07:49 PM

It's about time - they need to do what's necessary, and they can't stop until it's finished. No half-hearted incursions. They need to completely wipe out Hezbollah through a massive ground campaign - and I hope and pray they have to resolve to do so!

Posted by: Montey Pieathon | Aug 1, 2006 9:52:06 PM

It appears this is correct thinking, and bravo to Israel (and Olmert primarily I presume) for sticking to his guns...no pun intended.

Israel knows now what has been 60 years in the making: when being attacked by those whose primary goal is your EXTERMINATION, diplomacy is a non entity...it is a myth.

I suspect that from now on out Israel is going to be a lot more agressive in dealing with those who send anything other than good will across their border.

Posted by: Pedrito | Aug 1, 2006 11:07:12 PM

I agree, Go IDF, Go! All the way to Beirut if that's all it takes, go all the way to Damascus if they have to.

Good luck and God bless you!

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 1, 2006 11:36:13 PM

I hope and pray that the operation is successful, that this time around Hezballah will be completely wiped out.

Posted by: Irina | Aug 2, 2006 12:23:51 AM

David, am writing from Kiriat Bialik, where I have failed to convince my Dad to leave and move to a safer protected place. Thanks for trying to help. If war is over by the 8th August I shall go back to safe Leeds, if it goes on I shall stay here.
Savta Yaffa (now savta of 3 boys)

Posted by: yaffa glass (savta Yaffa) | Aug 2, 2006 2:20:58 AM

My Rabbi (a tall, white-bearded Chassid with an amazing jump-shot), has offered the following quotables in the last few days: In his very soft, loving voice, he said, "Shalom al Yisrael. May Hashem destroy our enemies. All of them." And, never troubled by a need to be PC, he said in shul this Shabbat, "There seem to be only two viewpoints in the current matsav. I haven't heard anyone holding any kind of middle ground. Either you know this is a war between Good and Evil... or your mind is completely warped."

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Aug 2, 2006 4:29:56 AM

From your Rabbi to God's ears as speedily as possible. All luck, speed and success to the IDF.

Posted by: sharinlite | Aug 2, 2006 5:39:47 AM

wow, the idf is sooo smart. i am honored to soon be joining them.

Posted by: Tonny | Aug 2, 2006 5:42:03 AM

Seawitch... Cancer can be forgiven for having no control over the carnage it wreaks. Hezbollah and their ilk are sentient beings who have chose to afflict anyone in the world not exactly like them and must therefore be wiped out completely.

Andy... I must admit to almost never reading a word Shmuley Boteach writes or says. He is obviously a very bright guy and I am sure I would agree with many of his platforms and ideas. But his sycophantic behavior around the showbiz set just makes me want to run screaming from any mention of his name.

Yitz... As much as it irks me when others use my material without attribution, I must admit that I was unable to figure out who originally said this. I googled for about an hour at lunch time and actually delayed publishing the post for a couple of hours while I waited for a friend of mine to try to research it for me. There are about 10 or 12 different versions of the quote floating around the web which complicates finding the original, so I will throw it out there to my readers: If anyone can tell me with certainty who first said this (as well as where and when), I will award them a brand new (still in the wrapper) Moleskine pocket notebook... the official notebook of treppenwitz!

PK... The only thing I'm interested in hearing from the other side right now is "I was wrong... I give up".

nikki... Great minds think alike (but fools never differ). :-)

Jewish Blogmiester... Don't hold your breath. Like bringing in the exterminator for roaches or ants, you don't really pretend you are going to wipe out all the roaches and ants in the world... you just want them out of your house for a few months.

Shanah... Actually there have been complaints over here early in the war about news folks helping Hezbollah with their targeting by reporting the exact location of rocket hits. I'm glad to see that has stopped (the reporting, not the rockets, unfortunately).

Money Pieathon... You and me both.

Pedrito... Unfortunately Israel is not allowed by the world to pretend that all these scumbags are actually working together in concert to try to wipe us off the map. Instead we are expected to confront with each new group as if it is the first time they have ever done anything brutal or illegal. Thus they all get endless second chances in the eyes of the world.

Stephen... I hope we don't have to go that far. The last thing we need is another large scale occupation.

Irina... Amen.

Yaffa... If you can convince him to come south there are some places here that fit your requirements. Just email me at treppenwitz @ gmail . com

rutimizrachi... Sounds like my kind of straight shooting Rabbi.

sharinlite... seconded.

Tonny... I can't wait to see you in uniform [snort] ;-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 2, 2006 9:38:58 AM

Yitz --
Whoever it was that pointed out, "Approaching the Bekaa Valley and Beirut will leave the IDF's 'right flank' exposed to Syrian air power," has failed to notice that Syria has two strong incentives to sit this one out:
(1) Israel's Air Force is quite capable of downing or permanently grounding the Syrian Air Force; and
(2) Syria too has a 'right flank', namely Iraq (which is presently occupied by the world's most powerful military force).

I'm guessing Secretary Rumsfeld is just itching for an excuse to cut off at the source the flow of Syrian weapons into Iraq.

Posted by: Bob | Aug 2, 2006 10:39:34 PM

not that it really helps i guess, but every source ive seen say its an anonymous quote... the most common version ive seen is

"If the Arabs (Moslems) put down their weapons today there would be no more violence. If the Israelis put down their weapons today there would be no more Israel."

hope your fast is going well

Posted by: SF Lisa | Aug 3, 2006 12:55:31 AM

Trep....true enough. But all the more reason to give the big fat middle finger to the rest of the world. Texas style. ;-)

Hey, if you're gonna get blamed either way, might as well take whatever course of action is best for you eh?

Posted by: Pedrito | Aug 3, 2006 8:26:45 AM

All of us who understand what is at stake hope that this latest offensive will be more aggressive and effective than previous efforts. Time is running out and soon the handwringers will begin wailing ever louder demanding a cease fire.

Any cease fire that leaves Hezbollah intact will be a disaster for Israel and the West.

Posted by: Mike's America | Aug 4, 2006 8:39:10 AM