« Photo Friday (Vol. XLIV) ['Moving Picture' edition] | Main | You did a good thing last night! »

Sunday, December 25, 2005

A white wet Hanukkah

In a relatively rare confluence of Hebrew and Gregorian calendars, Xmas (I've added the link to this nearly universally-know holiday to enlighten people who might take exception to the informal abbreviation), Hanukkah and Kwanzaa will bump up against one another, albeit for only a moment at midnight this evening.

Although an exhaustive search of scripture and text from all three religions has yielded no official requirement for snow (holiday songs excluded),  I think many of the people who observe these holidays unconsciously associate them with winter precipitation.

Here in our town, which is within easy walking distance of Bethlehem (if one were foolhardy enough to walk there), we are in the midst of a pretty serious winter storm.  The temperature has hovered around freezing for most of the night and snow flurries have been sighted here and there.  But for the most part the precipitation has been of the non-snow variety.

Israel has been experiencing a bit of a drought over the past couple of months so we're all pretty excited about just about any wetness that comes our way.  But if the Big Guy was already planning on slamming us with the cold and wet stuff anyway... would it have been so hard to just let it snow a little?

It looks like Zahava and I will be leaving our cross-country skis in the shed today! [sigh]

Happy [whatever-it-is-you-celebrate]!

221_16_5_110

Posted by David Bogner on December 25, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A white wet Hanukkah :

Comments

I love to read Treppenwitz but don't usually comment. But I just took a few wet pictures in Jerusalem I thought you might be interested in.

Posted by: Andy | Dec 25, 2005 2:52:32 PM

Sounds like you're having the same weather we are. It did change to flurries during the night, so we have a little white on the grass at least. Better than nothing. :o)

Have a wonderful Hanukkah.

Posted by: Tanya | Dec 25, 2005 3:30:38 PM

dense fog here in New Jersey put a damper on an xmas morning bike ride. If you haven't seen this aleady, check out this xmas song written just for us.

Posted by: Alan T | Dec 25, 2005 3:47:46 PM

I think the holidays have more of an overlap than just a bump at midnight. Christmas begins on the 25th, but is traditionally celebrated for 12 days until Epiphany on 6 January.

And we are having a very brown Christmas here in Northern Alberta. I mourn for the snowy winters of my childhood, climate change has hit hard up here.

Happy Hhanukkah!

Posted by: Talmida | Dec 25, 2005 5:49:47 PM

hey-cheer up! it could be alot colder there! as a matter of fact, i'm gonna be in your neck of the woods (relatively speaking) for this whole week!! malcha mall next sunday..never know who you'll bump into there, or anywhere else in israel! besides, where i come from its supposed to be sunny and cool now, but it's been freezing and icky weather, so i know where you're coming from in terms of meteorological disappointment! ttyl!

Posted by: tnspr569 | Dec 25, 2005 6:14:37 PM

If all goes well you and Zahava should be able to warm yourself with a a little grilling in a day or two.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 25, 2005 7:03:43 PM

Just talked to my Dad (in Jerusalem) and he said it's raining there. "There's no bad weather in Jerusalem," he explained. "Sunny is nice, but rainy is even better." (Because of the dry spell.)

Posted by: mirty | Dec 25, 2005 8:47:41 PM

Hmm, it's raining here in NY as well... An interesting coincidence! Happy Hanukkah!

Posted by: Irina | Dec 25, 2005 8:57:15 PM

I am in Indianapolis this week (and missing NYC). It was raining here this morning, but it is snowing pretty hard right now!

Posted by: jg | Dec 25, 2005 10:07:34 PM

Andy... Thanks, I'll check it out.

Tanya... You've been especially in my thoughts today. I hope you had a great holiday.

Alan T... That is hysterical! Thanks for the link.

Talmida... Of course you're right, but most of the people I know who observe Xmas do so for just the one day. Hope you had (and continue to have) a meaningful holiday.

tnspr569... Enjoy your visit. Stay dry!

Jack... [drool]...

Mirty... I agree with your dad. As lousy as my commute was today, I couldn't help thinking how good it was for the country.

Irina... The only difference is that you aren't watching the levels of the upstate reservoirs to the nearest centimeter the way we Israelis are watching the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee). :-)

jg... I hope Snick is enjoying the quality time with the 'cousins'. Oh, I hope you and 'T' are having a good time too. :-) Happy Holidays.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Dec 25, 2005 10:31:16 PM

Here are the lyrics.
Pretty funny stuff.

Posted by: Alan T | Dec 26, 2005 3:39:24 AM

Israel can always use the rain - and you've still got 7 more nights for snow on Chanukah!

Posted by: mcaryeh | Dec 26, 2005 7:21:48 AM

no fair, we don't get snow in beit shemesh...:-(

Posted by: Tonny | Dec 26, 2005 1:51:48 PM

Alan T... What service! Thanks.

Mcaryeh... We can hope! :-)

Tonny... Your first clue should have been the word 'Shemesh' (Sun) in the name of the place. ;-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Dec 26, 2005 1:59:12 PM

yeah yeah, whatever...

Posted by: Tonny | Dec 26, 2005 5:22:31 PM

David - Hope you and your family have a happy Hanukkah, regardless of the weather.

I have some friends from South Africa and Australia who say they had always spent the holiday by the pool... which would be a nice change, actually. A couple years ago I spent a few December weeks in Costa Rica and it was really strange hearing 'Winter Wonderland' there in the middle of a rain forest. It's funny how we come to associate holidays with the weather.

Posted by: Steve Bogner | Dec 27, 2005 1:31:09 AM