« "Today I am a fountain pen..." | Main | For what it's worth... »

Friday, October 28, 2005

Photo Friday (Vol. XLIII) [sleepy edition]

[Otherwise known as the Photo Friday that may end my marriage]

Friday is the one morning of the week that we can sleep in.  Unfortunately nobody mentioned this to our almost-two-year-old Yonah, and he treats Friday mornings like any other day.

For the past few months Zahava and I have played a little game on Fridays where each of us pretends we don't hear Yonah waking up.  We then pretend we don't hear him talking to himself.  We then pretend we don't hear him crying and shaking his crib.

By the time he is shrieking and throwing stuff out of his crib we pretty much have to abandon the pretense of being asleep and begin openly negotiating with one another:

Zahava:  [pretending to have just woken up] Can you go change the baby and get him some breakfast?

Me: [pretending to have been woken by her question] Huh?  Um, didn't I do that last Friday?  Isn't it your turn this week? [Rolls over and snuggles under the comforter in such a way as to hide from further discussion]

Z: [Up on one elbow now and poking me vigorously]  No, last week was supposed to be my turn to sleep in and you somehow tricked me into getting up and dealing with Yonah... now get up before he breaks something or hurts himself! [rolls over taking a sizable portion of the comforter with her]

M:  [whining] I know, but I didn't sleep well last night and...

[the next 5 minutes are spent comparing headaches, back-aches and quality / quantity of sleep each of us has allegedly had over the previous few nights.  The loser in this weekly battle hauls his/her carcass reluctantly out of bed and goes in to deal with, Yonah (who by now is beyond consolation).  The winner smugly does the combination roll-over/comforter snatch to begin another hour's precious sleep.]

This morning Zahava lost.  Truth be told, she didn't even put up a decent fight today... but the end result was that she changed Yonah and took him upstairs for breakfast.

By the time I came up for coffee almost an hour later, I found Zahava asleep on the couch and Yonah using her as a perch from which he was watching a video of Mary Poppins:
Sleepy1

He was so absorbed in the video that he didn't even notice me standing next to him taking pictures:
Sleepy2

I guess the flash and shutter made enough noise to wake Zahava because without even opening her eyes, she mumbled something to the effect of, "I'll kill you with my bare hands if you even think about posting those pictures on Photo Friday".

Y'know, the power of suggestion is a funny thing.  Up until that precise moment it hadn't occurred to me to do anything of the sort.  But just like telling someone not to think about a pink Giraffe will make it virtually impossible to think of anything else... Zahava's statement sort of planted the idea for today's Photo Friday.

Just so you don't think Zahava made good on her threat right away, here is a picture I took a couple of hours later when we all went to have coffee and croissants at a little French bakery/cafe in Rahavia with some friends who are visiting from Connecticut.
Table2_1

It's a lovely little spot with fragrant flowers growing around and above the seating area... with wonderful baked goods and good strong coffee.  When we first walked into the cafe I spotted the woman sitting behind Zahava (in the picture above) and thought to myself, 'jeez she looks French'.  Sure enough, as we waited for our croissants and coffee to arrive we overheard the unmistakable murmur of French from the next table.  Like hearing Italian at a pasta joint or Chinese where you get your Dim Sum... seeing French folks take their morning coffee at this cafe allayed my initial snarkiness about a Jerusalem shop calling itself 'French'

Goodies

One more picture before I go try to stay out of Zahava's reach for the rest of the afternoon.
Table1

All-in-all a nice sleepy morning.

Shabbat Shalom.
221_16_38

Posted by David Bogner on October 28, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (Vol. XLIII) [sleepy edition]:

Comments

One thing countries other than Israel [where I cannot comment on Arab/Muslim countries, though...] are missing out big time is the sink to wash your hands outside the restrooms. I always hate having to head there, and then, when I'm done, having to touch the questionable door handle again. Someone was smart when inventing antibac gel, even though that's probably no acceptable alternative in the narrower sense.

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Oct 28, 2005 3:19:04 PM

p.b. you don't really expect anyone to take your side, do you????
*you go, Zahava!!!!!*

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Oct 28, 2005 3:23:47 PM

Those are great pictures. My wife watches TV the same way!

Posted by: A Simple Jew | Oct 28, 2005 3:32:38 PM

Uh, let's distract Zahava.

Did you know that French Hill shouldn't be really translated as HaGiva HaTzarfatit, but rather Givat French, because it's named after a British general named French? And the real Hebrew name is Givat Shapira?

Posted by: Dave | Oct 28, 2005 3:49:08 PM

A man after my own heart. ;)

Posted by: Jack | Oct 28, 2005 3:52:15 PM

At least take a nice picture of her awake... we can only see her back... Thanks for another good laugh!

Posted by: einsof | Oct 28, 2005 3:57:06 PM

Yonah sure looks comfortable in that second picture. :)

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: Shevy | Oct 28, 2005 4:14:39 PM

Who get's up with Yonah on Friday will no longer be an issue since you will likely be sleeping on the floor next to his crib.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 28, 2005 6:00:15 PM

and...Shabbat Shalom from New Jersey, where even the French sound like Tony Soprano.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 28, 2005 6:02:00 PM

No work -- not even 1/2 a day -- on Fridays?

And just know, should this Photo Friday ruin your marriage (G-d forbid!), you have many blogger friends' couches to sleep on!

Posted by: Pearl | Oct 28, 2005 6:16:22 PM

Oh, David, you brave fool you. You are fortunate to have a patient and wise wife who clearly loves you a lot. Nevertheless, I recommend begging for forgiveness.

Shabbat shalom.

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Oct 28, 2005 6:35:25 PM

Chavi and I decide everything by odds and evens. Rock paper is too complicated.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 28, 2005 6:37:49 PM

so I guess we will know what happened if your blog isn't updated soon.
(don't worry Zahava - when they question all of us at the hearings, they will clearly see you were justified :o)

Posted by: lisa | Oct 28, 2005 7:15:53 PM

I have started wearing earplugs to strengthen my arguement that I really didn't hear Nikolai... I was laughing hysterically at the exchange between the two of you, because it happens here all the time. It's amazing that my husband and I can function at all with the horrible, sleepless nights that we seem to have every weekend... We solved the problem today though... we both took friday off this week, took the kids to daycare at 8, came home and went back to sleep for three sinfully amazing hours!! I highly recommend it!

Hope Zahava has forgiven you for the photos, I know that my husband would have already died a slow painful death for posting photos of me on the days when it's "my turn"...

Posted by: nrg | Oct 28, 2005 9:48:13 PM

1)David, you are a brave man
2)I'm so glad I'm not married to you (even though I do love music). If i had to live in fear that my pictures could show up on the internet at any moment, I think I would turn into a suspicious, furtive person
3)Those are the cutest pictures!
4)I can sooo see you two having that conversation - I can hear the inflections in my head

Posted by: mata hari | Oct 28, 2005 9:51:19 PM

You are lucky you are not married to me, you would be dead meat by now. ;)

The cafe looks simply fabulous. (The yummies in the case have my mouth watering).

Yonah is adorable and is about the same age as my younger daughter.

Posted by: Stacey | Oct 28, 2005 9:58:48 PM

David - next time you're in Rehavia, let me know. Coffee will be my treat. I live dangerously close (everything at that shop is so good!) to where you were today.

Posted by: John | Oct 28, 2005 10:11:53 PM

That second photo is just too cute. Although I second what mata hari said about becoming furtive! :)

Posted by: Kay | Oct 29, 2005 1:36:29 AM

You must have married young. Or you were just a nerd who never understood women.

Divorce would be the least of my fears if I published such a a pic of my wife! Evidently she is an unusually kind and understanding woman else you would never have even atempted such a thing.

If you are still alive then you have found a great woman. If she is speaking to you then you have entered a plain of existence unknown to common man.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 29, 2005 3:02:19 AM

Posted by: Scott | Oct 29, 2005 3:06:32 AM

mademoiselle a. ... Good eye! I was actually thinking about mentioning this fixture in many Israeli eateries and then thought that it would be lost on most readers. I can't remember the last time I had to use my elbows to navigate my way back to the table after washing. And, no... I don't even expect much sympathy from the men! :-)

A simple Jew... Asleep with a toddler perched on her?

Dave... Nice try, but she didn't go for it.

Jack... I'm assuming you're referring to my fearlessness (foolishness).

Einsof... Zahava is notoriously camera-shy. If you poke around the photo albums over there on the right side of the page you might find one or two pictures of her.

Shevy... Yonah makes himself comfortable anywhere he wants. One thing this kid isn't is shy.

Alan... Aaaay, fogetaboudit! Not for nuthin', but Good guess.

Pearl... Yes, one of the wonderful things about this country is Friday off!

Doctor Bean... Actually she didn't get a chance to see Photo Friday until after Shabbat. All through Shabbat I made her think it was much worse than it was so that when she finally saw it she wasn't too mad. :-)

Daniel... Probably a good plan, but it requires one to open their eyes. We negotiate with eyes closed.

Lisa... Hey, whose side are you on!?

nrg... 'Forgiven' might be too strong a word. :-)

Mata Hari... As my wife likes to say when I pull stuff like this, "No, no girls... I saw him first!"

John... It's a deal. I didn't realize you were so close.

Kay... As you can see from the archives, I don't try this sort of thing very often. :-)

Posted by: David | Oct 29, 2005 7:43:28 PM

re. sinks outside the bathroom, my favorite old school seafood joint here in Raleigh has such a sink and it has always struck me as a good idea.

Posted by: Alice | Oct 29, 2005 9:49:28 PM

Oh man, You are dead meat! I know Zahava - It's been nice knowing you!! What were you thinking?!
:) Sarahb

Posted by: sarahb | Oct 30, 2005 12:40:04 AM

Croissants....mmmm...I've been wanting croissants for a while, but have despaired of finding the necessary ingredients to make them myself (my usual solution) and have not found a source to buy them either. Sigh.... enjoy one for me.

Posted by: Leah Guildenstern | Oct 30, 2005 5:51:20 AM

Zahava - you need to keep a camera with you at all times, take pictures at a semi-humiliating moment (remember, he is the father of your children), hijack the blog and post them.

Posted by: mata hari | Oct 30, 2005 12:38:07 PM

"Stacey... I would think that now that you are back at the weight you like you'd want the photographer around all the time, no?"

No way! I have an aversion to having my picture taken and/or having to look at pictures of myself even though I am at my high school weight and have been for a year now. Woohoo!

Someone once told me that once you have kids your body goes. Sounded like a good challenge to me. I love proving people wrong. :)

Posted by: Stacey | Oct 31, 2005 1:11:45 AM

Mary Poppins has the same effect on me.

Zahava is very tolerant of you. If I had published pictures of my wife in a similar position, my marriage wouldn't be the only thing I'd be in danger of losing.

Posted by: psychotoddler | Oct 31, 2005 4:20:04 AM

Alice... In the Jewish sense the sinks outside the bathroom are so one doesn't have to make a blessing in an unclean place. But I agree that it makes sense on a much broader scale. As mademoiselle a. pointed out, who wants to wash their hands and then have to use their elbows to try to escape the bathroom in order to avoid touching the handle?

SarahB... I think my copyrighted tag line says it all: "Laying the groundwork for an insanity defense since 1961!"

Leah... In what dark corner of the planet do you live that they don't have croissants?

mata hari... There is a reason I change the password on my blog every few weeks. :-)

Stacey... Just think... if you posted more pictures of yourself on your site you'd get more admirers/readers like Jack. On second thought... ;-)

Psychotoddler... Zahava has both a very good sense of humor and a very long memory. This means that revenge could come next week or 5 years from now. The suspense is killing me.

Posted by: David | Oct 31, 2005 9:44:20 AM

David,

Don't give her any more ideas. As it is I have to beat her off with a sharp stick. :)

Posted by: Jack | Oct 31, 2005 9:08:29 PM

I am so sure, Jack. W-I-S-H-F-U-L T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G!

Posted by: Stacey | Oct 31, 2005 9:58:35 PM

Jack... I must say, you have a way with the ladies! :-)

Posted by: David | Oct 31, 2005 10:05:25 PM

David,

She was blushing the entire time she wrote that. She won't admit it, but I guarantee it.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 1, 2005 12:11:20 AM

It's been three days - no picture taking ramifications yet?

Posted by: mcaryeh | Nov 1, 2005 12:48:46 AM