« Photo Friday (Vol. XLIII) [sleepy edition] | Main | The refrigerater door dilemma »

Sunday, October 30, 2005

For what it's worth...

[Update:  For those of you who are relative newcomers to treppenwitz, The Jerusalem Post 'Blog Central' has begun serializing some of my more coherent early posts.  If you feel like 'catching up', you can read them daily over here.  Once they make it through my decent older content (which shouldn't take long), I'll probably start cross-posting to the Jpost site once or twice a week.    It's really flattering that they asked to use my material... I just wish they provided a link back here.  Oh well... as the song says, "You can't always get what you want...".]

Not that it means anything in the grand scheme of things... but it's nice to know that even though treppenwitz has been snubbed overlooked in nearly two-thirds of the Havel Havelim posts, I have something purely theoretical to fall back on:

My blog is worth $68,309.34.
How much is your blog worth?

[Shamelessly ganked from Blog d'Elisson]

Maybe I need to post more pictures of cats.  ;-)

In all seriousness... as always a great job by Batya doing this week's J-blog round-up.

221_16_5_79

Posted by David Bogner on October 30, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference For what it's worth...:

Comments

Thanks for linking to Batya's round-up. She's way outside my political perspective, but it doesn't stop her from having a great round up of Succos-related posts from across the spectrum.

And off topic, any further news of Elroi Refael?

Posted by: Judy | Oct 30, 2005 12:23:30 PM

So a blog becomes a column?

I'm happy for you but allow me to coin/pirate a phrase: It's the comment section stupid.

Don't take it personal. The world is full of columnists. They are not blogs and cannot be. We don't read you and other bloggers to absorb and marvel at your wisdom. We want to get a word in edgewise.

Get it?

Posted by: Scott | Oct 30, 2005 6:27:43 PM

Hey Dave maybe if I save up enough I'll buy it off ya. What do you say?

Posted by: Jewish Blogmeister | Oct 30, 2005 8:00:23 PM

Oh wow, congratulations!!!

But I hope there's something in it for you too, besides your months of fame -- I hate to see how professional media, who once bitterly condemned grassroot journalism a.k.a. blogging, are now drawing material to fill their own blank pages. While you probably won't get a slice of bread out of it, they receive a full month's salary. Surreal! The same goes for the forking of sites for photo material and the numerous complaints just because photo bloggers decided to reserve all rights on their material. Kartzim.

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Oct 30, 2005 9:06:41 PM

*sigh* of course Kartziot. What can I do, I'm biased ;o)

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Oct 30, 2005 9:10:51 PM

Should I feel badly knowing that your blog is worth more than mine. Who do I speak with regarding a reappraisal.

Then again do I really want to pay higher blog taxes. My kids don't even go to the local blog as I send them to a private one.

Hmm...Decisions, decisions.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 31, 2005 12:48:48 AM

Just a clarification, and a thanks for the mention, about Havel Havelim, it's mostly self-nominated. Instructions at the end http://me-ander.blogspot.com/2005/10/havel-havelim-42.html, and the print isn't even fine. We'd love to have such a famous blogger as yourself take part.

Posted by: muse | Oct 31, 2005 9:05:56 AM

Judy... Pretty much everyone I read is well outside my political/religious perspective. That's why I read them. :-)

Scott... Not to speak ill of the JP (since they were nice enough to flatter me), I don't think they have a clear understanding of what a blog/journal is supposed to be. Granted, there are bloggers out there who don't allow comments... but I agree with you that the dialogue is what makes it fun for all.

Jewish Blogmiester... Make me an offer. :-)

mademoiselle a. ... You hit the ail on the head (yet again). It's all about getting as much diverse content as possible so that they can capture more readers for longer. Nothing wrong with that. I don't mind being taken advantage of so long as I get something out of it. In this case I get a bit more exposure... and I get to dust off those older posts that would likely never again see the light of day.

Jack... I haven't figured out what formula they use to come up with a blog valuation, but I would think a fancy LA blog would be much more valuable than one based in occupied territory. :-)

Muse... Yes, I know that many people do self nominate their own writing... but I've never been comfortable doing that. If someone reads something I write and finds it interesting enough to tell someone else about... that's is what the blogosphere is all about. Self-promotion is fine, but it doesn't really give an accurate indication of what kind of impact a blogger is having on his/her peers. Again, good work.

Posted by: David | Oct 31, 2005 9:27:30 AM

Well we do have some fine food. ;)

Posted by: Jack | Oct 31, 2005 10:00:57 AM

David....and Scott: yes, most of the professional media [ok, not only them, but you get my point] have not yet managed to fully understand what a "blog" is. They chase for content and have learned that, in times of blogworld, they don't have to go out into the streets and do opinion polls or interview people for the stories of their lives. They can save a lot of this work with just a few clicks and C&P.

Good to know that the blog shares calculate according to click rates and linkage. I want to think that it says nothing about quality. Luckily,
I know at least one, now famous, exception to the rule. And yes, my blog is worth nada Benjamin Franklins, and I can live with it.

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Oct 31, 2005 11:49:30 AM

When the deluxe coffee table version with full color illustrations of the Treppenwitz blog come out? I am holding out for that...

Posted by: mcaryeh | Nov 1, 2005 12:44:57 AM