« The continuum of good and bad | Main | Well that didn't take long! »

Friday, August 26, 2005

Photo Friday (Vol. XX*XVIII) [intentionally dull edition]

When Photo Friday was still in its infancy, I encouraged readers to submit suggestions/requests for pictures they'd like to see posted here.  Most of the requests were interesting choices, and I did what I could to track down the images.  But a few were so unimaginative and well, dull, that I couldn't imagine anyone would really want to see them.

Of this genre of 'dull' photo requests, several people really outdid themselves by asking for a picture of a camel.

I would have never said so, but at the time I couldn't help thinking that this kind of request revealed a basic lack of knowledge about life here in Israel... and perhaps even a lack of imagination.  I mean really... are there still people out there who think that just because Israel is located in the middle east that we have camels wandering around?

I soon realized that there are, in fact, a good number of camels wandering in plain sight along my commute as I approach Beer Sheva.  And thanks to the patience of my regular trempistim (hitchhikers), I actually stopped on several occasions to photograph them.  But when I loaded the pictures onto my computer I couldn't help thinking again that they didn't make for particularly compelling images.   They were... dull.

Since I am not the sort of person to poke fun at readers (with a few exceptions), and I really couldn't imagine ever wanting to post a picture of something so trite, I simply filed the camel pictures away and went in search of more interesting images.

I have to say that after experiencing sensory overload these past few weeks, I now realize that there is a time and place for everything... including relatively dull images.   If ever I have wanted nothing else but to sit and stare at something that don't make me want to cry, yell or pull my few remaining hairs out... this would be the week.

Without further ado, I present to you a small sample of the northern Negev Desert's Bedouin-owned camels.  Please note that they live a quiet life and aren't called upon to do much more than stand around and soak up the silence of the hot desert air.
127_2740

Camel2

Camels3

Camels4

To the people who asked to see pictures of camels:  I am sorry I privately belittled your requests.  I could never have imagined how much I would one day want to sit and stare at something so wonderfully dull.  The only thing that cold have possibly made these images more soothing to an overstimulated soul is if I had the PhotoShop skills to put the late Bob Ross and his easel in the foreground of one of the photos, painting the scene and soothing my soul with his calming manner:

"We don't make mistakes here, we just have happy accidents. We want happy, happy paintings. If you want sad things, watch the news. Everything is possible here. This is your little universe."
                       ~Bob Ross
(October 29, 1942 - July 4, 1995)~

Shabbat Shalom!
221_16_24

Posted by David Bogner on August 26, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (Vol. XX*XVIII) [intentionally dull edition]:

Comments

Somehow this joke seemed appropriate:

A mother and baby camel are talking one day when the baby camel asks, "Mom, why have I got these huge three toed feet?"
The mother replies, "Well son, when we trek across the desert your toes will help you to stay on top of the soft sand."

"OK," said the son.

A few minutes later the son asks, "Mom, why have I got these great long eyelashes?"

"They are there to keep the sand out of your eyes on the trips through the desert."

"Thanks Mom," replies the son.

After a short while, the son returns and asks, "Mom, why have I got these great big humps on my back?" The mother, now a little impatient with the boy replies, "They are there to help us store water for our long treks across the desert, so we can go without drinking for long periods."

"That`s great Mom, so we have huge feet to stop us sinking, and long eyelashes to keep the sand from our eyes and these humps to store water, but Mom..."

"Yes, son?"

"Why the heck are we in the San Diego zoo?"

Posted by: Dave | Aug 26, 2005 1:38:46 PM

I like these pictures. David, your photos always give me very colorful and descriptive images of little bits of Israel, where I have never been.

And camels are cute.

Posted by: Sandra | Aug 26, 2005 2:38:48 PM

I concur, camels are cute.

Ah, I can feel my blood pressure dropping as we speak . . .

Have a Shabbat Shalom, David.

Posted by: Sarah | Aug 26, 2005 2:58:35 PM

Ah, calm camels! Lovely. Thank you, David.

Posted by: Rahel | Aug 26, 2005 3:18:45 PM

Uh, OK, I guess if people asked....I mean, camels are OK, but I prefer sunsets or flowers or cute kids. But I do like the "low stress" post. Shabbat Shalom!

Posted by: Essie | Aug 26, 2005 4:10:53 PM

I really enjoyed that!

Wow, only a week until I can take my own camel pictures in the Holy Land!

Shabbat Shalom,
TMeishar

Posted by: tmeishar | Aug 26, 2005 5:19:30 PM

Ok, I am restraining myself. For the good of the many I'll refrain from any number of bad puns.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 26, 2005 5:39:30 PM

I object! There is nothing dull about camels or or about photos of camels ;-). I'll never forget that first camel my friend Sharone and I rode in Sinai all those years ago. We called him Francois, because of his eyes...

Posted by: Imshin | Aug 26, 2005 5:48:59 PM

What about the camel near Shaar HaAshpot? You probably have to pay to take a picture with that camel. Shabbat Shalom

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 26, 2005 6:13:55 PM

Cute pics... do you work for the tobacco industry on the side?

Posted by: Jewish Blogmiester | Aug 26, 2005 6:45:56 PM

Dave... Oy

Sandra... I've heard them called a lot of things... but you're the first to call them cute. :-)

Sarah... OK, so that's two. :-)

Rahel... Two cutes and a lovely. Interesting.

Essie... I'm with you. Shabbat Shalom

Tmeishar... Great to hear! Will chez treppenwitz have the pleasure of your company while you're here? i hope so.

Jack... Thank you for showing restraint. :-)

Imshin... Happy I could help you revisit that memory... but I am shocked to hear so many people consider camels to be in any way attractive. Yuck! :-)

Daniel... I'm sure if any of the people who owned these camels had seen me with my camera they would have asked for a fee as well. :-)

Jewish Blogmiester... Oh how little you know about me! I am about as anti-smoking as you can get without actually being abusive to my smoker friends.

Posted by: David | Aug 26, 2005 7:08:55 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:-) Shabbat shalom.

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Aug 26, 2005 10:37:16 PM

And not one of them is smoking.

Posted by: psychotoddler | Aug 26, 2005 11:15:17 PM

who could forget the incomparable bob ross? i wish there was somebody else like him teaching us art and painting.

Posted by: no milk | Aug 27, 2005 1:18:23 AM

Doctor Bean... Mission accomplished.

Psychotoddler... And ironically, none of them are named Joe either! :-)

No Milk... I was a Bob Ross junkie in my single days. No matter how stressful a day I might have had he could always make things OK. I've been tempted to order some of the DVDs of his shows... maybe someday. BTW, I know I don't make a habit of commenting but I'm still a regular over at your place... always good for a smile. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted by: David | Aug 27, 2005 11:28:13 PM

I loved these pictures...so peaceful and serene. I rode a camel in Jericho a few summers ago named Su-Su. It was pretty nifty.

Posted by: Stacey | Aug 28, 2005 1:55:27 AM

David,
I don't know if you did this in the early days before I became a Treppenwitz devotee but if not could you do a Scooter edition - non motorized kids versions or motorized transportation versions. I especially like charedim on scooters.

Posted by: houseofjoy | Aug 28, 2005 2:50:17 AM

Absolutely! I'll be there for 10 whole months so I'm sure I can fit you into my busy schedule ;-). Will be in touch I guess.

Posted by: tmeishar | Aug 28, 2005 5:01:56 AM

Stacey... I'm glad you enjoyed (the pictures, not the camel ride). I'll try to post more compelling images in the weeks to come.

HouseofJoy... I haven't done that but not for lack of interest. My problem is that I'm really not sure if there are any legal/ethical issues involved in photographing someone else's kids (wither in my community or around Israel) and posting their pictures on the Internet. Even if it is perfectly legal... I can't help thinking that I would be a little uncomfortable if I found out someone else had photographed my kids and posted pictures without my permission. Of course the solution would be to walk around with model release forms (in several languages)... but I'm really not up to that.

Tmeishar... Great! You can join the growing number of students who have used our house as 'home base' while in Israel. Friday afternoon phone calls to invite yourself over for shabbat are quite typical (and welcome)... and we don't mind if you bring a friend (or a bag or two of your dirty laundry). Looking forward to it.

Posted by: David | Aug 28, 2005 8:38:46 AM

Sounds good... Feeding starving students does seem right up your alley.

Posted by: tmeishar | Aug 28, 2005 4:39:31 PM

I have to say that I was one of those who, more out a joke, had asked upon landing in Israel, where the camels were (I was also 16). I guess they didn't think it was funny, because they didn't laugh. I should of known better, having just left living in Alaska, touring NY before I left for Israel and having New Yorkers constantly ask me if I lived in an igloo or if we got around by dog sled. And they were SERIOUS.

Posted by: Jaime | Aug 28, 2005 10:12:07 PM

Tmeishar... They may be starving when they show up... but not when they leave! :-)

Jaime... Wow! You have quite the interesting past! Alaska is actually the only state I have yet to physically visit. I have been in the other 49 (many several times) but I was only off the coast of Alaska while I was in the navy and we never actually stopped for a visit. I hear it is beautiful. Anyway, I guess you understand better than most about misconceptions. :-)

Posted by: David | Aug 28, 2005 11:28:46 PM

I guess I have been quite lucky when it comes to my travels. Hmm, lemme see, in the US, I have lived in 10 states, and have visited or have travelled through at least 38 states. Hard to believe that I have been settled down in one spot for 12 years. Someday, I hope my husband and I will get around to visiting the other twelve. Anyone know a good B&B in Arkansas? : )

Posted by: Jaime | Aug 29, 2005 6:14:41 AM