« Ceremony by the sea... | Main | A penny for your thoughts »

Friday, July 15, 2005

Photo Friday (Vol. XX*XIV) [anchors aweigh edition]

As I promised yesterday, here are some pictures from Wednesday's commissioning ceremony in Ashdod.  I could carry on for a few paragraphs, but the photos speak for themselves for the most part.

I'll just stick in a word or two between pictures...

Before the ceremony began, sailors and staff were milling about in loose formation... waiting for the order to come to attention:

Img_3507

Yes, there are women in the Israel navy!
Img_3502

The order is given and the crew comes to attention in front of their new boat.
Img_3513

The honor guard marches forward with 'the colors (the base flag, the Navy flag and the flag of Israel):
Img_3518
A well-rendered salute:
Img_3522
The colors are hoisted and the formation is ordered to parade rest ('amod noach'):
Img_3527_1
For those who are not familiar with IDF insignia, the central image is a sword and olive branch.    It is also used as part of some rank insignia... here is the shoulder board of a Rear Admiral (tat aluf) who was present:
Img_3555

Here you can see the Israel Navy insignia on this sailor's hat.

Img_3543

The Captain of one of the boats stands in front of his crew.  I met his parents after the ceremony and you could not imagine two people possibly being prouder of their son.  His mom kept flicking imaginary dust from his uniform and his dad would occasionally reach out and and give the back of his neck an affectionate squeeze.  The captain's two teen-aged sisters followed him everywhere after the ceremony and took about a million pictures holding onto his arm:
Img_3534

During the shakedown cruise a few weeks ago he looked much more at ease, standing on the bridge:
134_3450

The officer in charge gave the order and the crew manned their boat:
Img_3537

A quick ceremonial spin around the harbor...
Img_3550

... offers just a hint of what it can really do (this is actually one of it's sister ships that was commissioned last November):
134_3436

Ariella and Gilad enjoyed the ceremony, but really got a kick out of exploring the boats:
Img_3556

Shabbat Shalom!
221_16_17

Posted by David Bogner on July 15, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (Vol. XX*XIV) [anchors aweigh edition]:

Comments

great pictures!thanks a lot.more in this vein please.
warm wishes

Posted by: richard | Jul 15, 2005 10:46:59 AM

Wow David, you actually made me MISS the army for a moment!

Posted by: Harry | Jul 15, 2005 10:58:54 AM

Awesome photos David - thanks for sharing the experience. Israel....so near yet so far.

Posted by: kakarizz | Jul 15, 2005 12:50:26 PM

Wonderful!

Shabbat shalom.

Posted by: AmyS | Jul 15, 2005 1:20:31 PM

We enjoy having the opportunity to frequently see this scene and next week is Family Day for us, but it won't look anything like the commissioning a new Wasp. Cool!

More Navy at http://www.idf.il/navy , but Hebrew (and IE) only.

Have a good shabbat.

Posted by: jennifer | Jul 15, 2005 2:12:08 PM

Great pics. Doesn't make me miss my Navy days in the least, but it looked like a nice ceremony and I loved seeing those 2 cute kids on the boat! :)

Shabbat Shalom!

Posted by: val | Jul 15, 2005 2:26:23 PM

Is there an Israeli equivalent to the wish, "May you always have Fair Winds and Following Seas?"

Shabbat Shalom

Posted by: Ocean Guy | Jul 15, 2005 2:34:31 PM

Richard... We're building the boats as fast as we can! :-)

Harry... May I assume that by the time you finished typing the comment the moment had passed? :-) I don't miss those days... I just miss being that young.

Kakarizz... Maybe you can feature some pictures of your part of the world on your site. I know I'd like to travel a bit. :-)

AmyS... Thanks... I'm glad I had the opportunity to share it with you.

Jennifer... I figured this would be old hat to you, being the mother of a sailor. Oh, and it is a Bee (Dvora) not a Wasp. :-)

Val... Just so you don't make any disparaging remarks about your home base in Iceland because one of my favorite readers lives in Reykjavik! :-)

OceanGuy... Of course there is an equivalent: "Sa yashar yashar... ad hasof, V'Az tishal!" (Translation: "Drive straight... until the end and then ask directions there!" :-)

Posted by: David | Jul 15, 2005 3:37:20 PM

Very nice. It makes you feel all sorts of pride, doesn't it.

Posted by: Jack | Jul 15, 2005 4:07:22 PM

In those Navy uniforms, the guys look even cuter than regular chayalim :) Thanks for the beautiful pictures, as always. Shabbat Shalom.

Posted by: Essie | Jul 15, 2005 4:25:21 PM

Fun post! Shabbat shalom!

Are you going to ask again for requests for photos, or do you still have some on the list?

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Jul 15, 2005 4:26:04 PM

Ab fab! Shabbat shalom lachem.

Posted by: Lioness | Jul 15, 2005 4:28:27 PM

My memories of Iceland are fond ones... would never say anything negative about that place. The people and sites were both amazing and I'm grateful for the experience. And I guess, I have the U.S.Navy to thank for the opportunity.

Posted by: val | Jul 15, 2005 4:38:39 PM

>> His mom kept flicking imaginary dust from his uniform

I've always wondered how they keep those white uniforms so clean!

Posted by: alana | Jul 15, 2005 4:49:05 PM

Alana, it's because they rarely wear them.

David, thank you so much, yet again, for the window into Israel. One really awesome thing to see was the girl in the skirt. I assume she is religious. Wow!

Posted by: tmeishar | Jul 15, 2005 5:11:12 PM

Jack... Yes it does. But more than that, it makes me feel old! :-)

Essie... I've always heard that girls go for the sailors... thanks for confirming my suspicions. :-) Shabbat Shalom.

Doctor Bean... I would welcome some requests. There are a few from the original batch that were either duplicates or just too hard to find so I started coming up with my own ideas when the requests dried up. Feel free. Shabbat Shalom.

Lioness... Shabbat Shalom to you as well.

Val... I think I still have the sweater you gave me around somewhere (although I don't think I could get my arm into it anymore!).

Alana... That gesture was very hard for me to describe. It is that little tugging and touching that mothers do to their children. It isn't really doing any good... but it gives them a reason to make contact and be close. This young man's mother clearly wanted to hug and kiss him to pieces... but was worried about embarrassing him. :-)

Tmeishar... that too. As to the skirts, there is no way to tell if she is religious or not. All women in the Israel navy have a choice of wearing skirts or slacks with their dress whites (madei aleph). Many choose to wear skirts because they are more comfortable or because they are more flattering. In the work uniforms (madei bet), it is my understanding that only religious women are allowed to wear skirts (that goes for all branches of the IDF).

Posted by: David | Jul 15, 2005 6:08:12 PM

beautiful... beautiful boats too!

and thanks for the men in uniform pictures too!

Posted by: Lisa | Jul 15, 2005 6:45:06 PM

Lisa... Your very welcome. This is, after all, a full service journal! You ask for beefcake... you get beefcake (although these guys are so young you'd probably have to call them veal)! :-)

Posted by: David | Jul 15, 2005 6:55:57 PM

Excellent picks..what kind of camera do you use? I'm wondering why some of the women are wearing pants and others skirts. Is it a fashion thing or a religious thing? Good Shabbos

Posted by: Jewish Blogmiester | Jul 15, 2005 7:09:02 PM

its ok if theyre veal, im relatively young too. and beefcake might be a little too much for me.

Posted by: Lisa | Jul 15, 2005 8:04:23 PM

how old was the captain, I know officers in the idf are young but he looked like he was 22,

Posted by: Jonah | Jul 15, 2005 8:07:37 PM

You wonder how the Israeli Defense Forces can be so tough since they appear to be manned by twelve-year-olds. Wow, I feel old!

Posted by: ball-and-chain | Jul 15, 2005 8:12:04 PM

Yes, you were correct David, the moment passed when I pressed "enter."

Posted by: harry | Jul 15, 2005 8:59:03 PM

Why are Israelis all so darned gorgeous? Scrumptious! Those boys.... I mean, BOATS. Right, the boats. Really, really handsome boats.

Posted by: Mirty | Jul 16, 2005 2:08:15 AM

Thanks for posting these pics! Sigh, too bad I'm not 20 years younger --those boys!!

Posted by: Yael | Jul 16, 2005 8:54:27 PM

Jewish Blogmiester... I use a point and shoot cannon digital elf (4 mega pixels). As to the skirt issue, I answered that one above. :-)

Lisa... hmmm, maybe your mom should be worried about sending you over here by yourself! ;-)

Jonah... I assume he was in his early 20s. His rank is not 'Captain', that is simply the title given to the person who commands the boat. He is actually a Lieutenant Junior Grade (the same rank JFK held when he took command of his patrol boat - PT 109 - in the Pacific during WWII).

Ball and Chain... Yes, they do look young... but then, so did we once. :-)

Harry... I thought so.

Mirty... Down girl! You're a married lady!!! :-)

Yael... Israelis come in all ages... I wouldn't worry too much.

Posted by: David | Jul 16, 2005 10:31:20 PM

David, really? Dvorah and not Dabur? Then my apologies and she's the Queen Bee for sure. (Is it a wonder you keep real bees as well?) ;)

I'm not so sure, though, about your definitions of Madai Alef and Madai Bet. In the Navy, the Madai Alef is beige/tan and the Madai Bet are mostly khaki with huge pockets. I might be wrong, but I think it's only the Navy that wear dress whites.

In the year and a half our sailor's been in the service, I've only seen him once in his dress uniform, when he got his first set of stripes. The other times I've seen him, the uniform is in a pile by the washing machine and the sailor is lights out on his bed. :)

Posted by: jennifer | Jul 17, 2005 1:18:23 AM

Nice pix from the ceremony -- thanks for sharing them. And shavua tov!

Posted by: Isaac B2 | Jul 17, 2005 7:41:07 AM

Most girls go for all guys in uniform, but the sailors, especially, yes. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD is a favorite tourist spot ;-).

Posted by: Essie | Jul 18, 2005 5:53:41 PM

David: Been a long time, but from the pictures, you haven't changed a bit! Rachel and Mark told me that they met up with you in Israel. We should do the same.

Posted by: AlanT | Jul 24, 2005 5:02:13 AM