« Carnival of the blind dates | Main | I'm embarrassed to admit... »

Friday, June 17, 2005

Photo Friday (Vol. XX*X) [Cherry Festival edition]

Yes folks... welcome to the 30th edition of Photo Friday!  Sorry to have to thrown an asterisk into the roman numerals... but 3 upper case X's in a row is just too tempting a target for people using search engines to find pr0n.

This past week the big kids and I attended the annual Cherry Festival that is held on Kibbutz Rosh Tzurim (about 5 minutes from Efrat) here in Gush Etzion.  Zahava took a pass and stayed home while Yonah took his early afternoon nap.

The weather was picture perfect and in the tradition of last year, I ate to the point of discomfort.

There were two kinds of cherries to be picked... deep red cherries, and white cherries.  This first picture was taken under a promising branch full of the red cherries:
Cherries

Ari and Gili picked a few kilos of cherries (both kinds) and ate themselves into a stupor.  Here they are attacking a white cherry tree:
Airigilipicking

Once we had picked and eaten our fill, we wandered over to a big open grassy area where there were games for the kids... booths set up to sell crafts... and, uh, more food.  Here is a shot in the direction of the obligatory kids bouncy toys:
127_2765

Another view:
127_2764

I know this last shot is going to come off as a bit voyeuristic... but after almost two years of living here I still find it jarring to see pretty 18 and 19 year old girls walking around with assault rifles.  This young lady is obviously home from the army for the weekend and wanted to check out the festival. She is allowed to change out of her uniform while at home... but she has to keep her m16 with her at all times!
Chayelet1

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great week.  I enjoyed your responses to the blind date post... the funny ones... the sad ones... and yes, even the tragic ones.  The truth is, if you are still around to write about the experience, it could always have been worse.

Shabbat Shalom!
221_16_11

Posted by David Bogner on June 17, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (Vol. XX*X) [Cherry Festival edition]:

Comments

I'm not sure how you manage it, but your kids get more handsome with every post.

On a different note, there's something alluring about highly armed women. No?

Shabbat shalom.

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Jun 17, 2005 10:47:51 AM

Those cherries look awesome..... as do the big kids. ok, rather, they're beautiful, too! ;)
Shabbat Sholom.

Posted by: val | Jun 17, 2005 2:23:00 PM

i must say its a lot easier to keep up with the posts and comments when im in your same time zone! hello from greece!

the pictures are beautiful and your kids are as adorable as ever!

i still wish those were men instead of women in that last picture though! sorry, you know us college aged girls.

beautiful as always, enjoy your shabbas!

Posted by: wildroze | Jun 17, 2005 2:50:20 PM

Doctor Bean... Thanks, I'll pass along the compliment. As to the other matter... that is one of the (many) reasons I read Tanya's blog. ;-)

Val... The cherries were almost as sweet as the kids. :-)

Wildroze... Glad you liked the pictures... I'll try to sneak some beefcake into the mix next time. :-) I'm glad you're that much closer to Israel... how many days is it now (I know, I could just go to your blog and look at the count)? How is your back doing... I hope it won't interfere with your plans. Have a great shabbat.

Posted by: David | Jun 17, 2005 3:00:34 PM

i actually dont think my count is updated on my livejournal... its something like... 47 days until israel now. getting closer. (may seem like a lot to you, but ive still got a couple weeks in greece first!)

my back is ok, in and out, but im doing it all anyways. trying to get in some sort of shape for israel.

<3 for you for agreeing to try to find beefcake

Posted by: wildroze | Jun 17, 2005 3:13:23 PM

Lovely pictures! And such cute kids. Mine are jealous: they all lllooovve cherries!

My husband comments that "armies are built of children", and it's true. When you are nineteen or twenty-two, it doesn't jar, but the older you get, the more you realize: These people are children!

Strangely, a heavily-armed nineteen year old boy, no matter how handsome, isn't alluring to me, just sad...

Posted by: Mary P | Jun 17, 2005 3:26:55 PM

We were there too, just like last year. Somehow we had the good sense to get there early - 11-ish. But when my wife went to bring my father-in-law to Beit Shemesh and then returned, we (the kids and I) needed to walk from Rosh Tzurim almost the entire way to Alon Shvut! (to you non-locals, that equals "far".)

Did you get there early enough not to suffer from parking and traffic problems?

Posted by: Dave | Jun 17, 2005 3:48:39 PM

Sorry I'm not too original, but....beautiful cherries and beautiful kids. That girl looks way too young to be carrying a gun that big...broke my heart to see that...may we see shalom in our times very soon! Shabbat Shalom.

Posted by: Essie | Jun 17, 2005 4:42:15 PM

Glad you had a great time and such lovely weather to enjoy the cherries et al.

Shabbat shalom!

Posted by: AmyS | Jun 17, 2005 5:34:40 PM

Gam lachem!

I am actually eating cherries as I type this, which is probably the one reason I haven't platzed w tastebud envy. Ours aren't so bad either - but do you know what I miss abt living in Israel? Israeli persimmons. Ours are bigger, softer, take forever to ripen and often have vile brown spots inside.

(I didn't include a Blind Date story bcs I've never been on one. As a matter of fact, we don't really do dating, I don't think. Have been trying to understand the concept for years - and me a lapsed Anthropologist!)

Posted by: Lioness | Jun 17, 2005 6:01:36 PM

Wildroze... Good to hear. If you need a recommendation for a great 'natural' clinic in Beer Sheva, I've been getting my back worked on there for a few weeks (acupuncture, massage and chiropractic). Nice spa atmosphere too.

MaryP... I agree, which makes it doubly tragic when a country has to send its army to war (and not just use it for show). I think there are a few girls who would disagree with you over the 19 year old soldier issue though. :-)

Dave... we didn't get there until a little after 1300 so we ended up parking about halfway between Alon Shvut and Rosh Tzurim. No big deal... it meant a hike in, but no wait to drive home. Glad you had a good time.

Essie... Every country needs an army. I pray for a day when ours will just be for show.

AmyS... As you know, this time of year the easiest job in the world belongs to the Israeli weatherman. "OK, let's take a look at the weathermap for today... oh what a surprise... more clear sunny weather for the entire region!" :-)

Lioness... "As a matter of fact, we don't really do dating, I don't think. Have been trying to understand the concept for years" You're a puzzle. Ive tried to piece together a mental picture of who you are from your blog and from the comments you've left here... but you are still a complete mystery to me! As a woman, I'm sure you're quite pleased to remain shrouded in mystery... but I've decided to take it as a personal challenge to figure you out! :-)

Posted by: David | Jun 17, 2005 6:23:02 PM

Nice shots- Good Shabbos

Posted by: Jack | Jun 17, 2005 6:37:52 PM

I'm shocked. Seriously, I am! I'm a mystery?? I should think what you see is pretty much what you get! David David, David - have you tried READING me? That might help. I don't know what to tell you other than I don't much care for the
shrouded in mystery types, life's too short for games and hassle. ;) If it helps, everyone who knows me IRL says I'm pretty much the way I write. Which doesn't help you, I've just realised, bcs you've read some and still - mystery. Which is a mystery to me, I'm more transparent than hermetic, leads me to no end of grief. Let me know when the penny drops. :)

What I mean abt dating, and I've been meaning to post abt it forever, is that we do go out w people of the opposite sex (oh ok, same sex as well) but we don't have "dating" as an institution. As in, "are you dating him or just seeing him", "I am dating three lovely men, nothing serious yet" (?!), "blind dates" - what we do re this last one is, say I have a friend who I think would be a perfect match for someone else, I'd arrange for the 3 of us to go out together (e.g. movies) and well, good luck then. Or try to arrange a fancy-meeting-you-here, why-don't-you-join-us? encounter.

Posted by: Lioness | Jun 17, 2005 7:03:55 PM

Jack... Thanks, I hope yours was nice as well.

Lioness... OK, I think I'm beginning to understand why I'm getting confused here... pronoun trouble. You keep saying things like, "...we do go out w people of the opposite sex...", I'm not sure if you mean 'we', as in the 'Royal WE', or 'we', as in a larger group of which you count yourself a part. Then you really confuse me by continuing with "...oh ok, same sex as well) but we don't have "dating" as an institution". See right there you threw me a little curve ball (a baseball expression meaning you caught me off balance) about your, um, preferences... and then used the term 'we' again! And you really have no idea why I might be confused? really??? :-)

Posted by: David | Jun 18, 2005 9:21:44 PM

Oh you're so literally minded! :DDD I meant we, the Portuguese! And you say you've read me! The same sex bit was so as not to offend any sexual minorities. (I know abt curve balls, we - the Porties - get loads of American movies and series) But I'll try and be clearer from now on. ;)

Posted by: Lioness | Jun 19, 2005 12:35:16 AM

i never realized you live in gush etzion. Which yishuv?

Posted by: honcho | Jun 19, 2005 9:41:03 AM

Welcome Honcho!... I live in Efrat.

Posted by: David | Jun 19, 2005 9:53:51 AM

There's just something about a girl with a mekutsar....

Posted by: gilly | Jun 19, 2005 11:18:03 PM

Gilly... So you are saying size isn't everything? ;-) [for those non-Hebrew speakers, 'mekuzar' means shortened, and is the Hebrew term for the short version of the m16].

Posted by: David | Jun 20, 2005 8:46:33 AM