« Photo Friday (Vol. XXVII) [L'ag B'Omer edition] | Main | Beating a dead horse »

Sunday, May 29, 2005

That's just ... wrong!

This sort of thing is just bad for the game!

I'm referring, of course, to the 17 - 1 trouncing the Red Sox gave the Yankees yesterday.

I can't imagine how embarrassing it must have been for those nice boys on the Yankees to look up at the scoreboard at the end of the game and see such a lopsided score.  I imagine that many of the players had parents and family in the stands... and this sort of thing could easily result in serious long-term self-esteem issues.

While surfing around, I stumbled upon a logical solution to help avoid having this sort of thing happen in the future.  I found it on the website listing the official rules for the Encino, California Little League:

Rule 5.  EXCEPTION: 10 Run Mercy Rule: Mercy Rule applies to when one team is leading its opposition by ten (10) or more runs and at least four (4) innings have been played.  It should be noted that if the home team has scored more runs in three (3) or three (3) and a fraction half inning than the visiting team has scored in four completed half innings, the game is officially a regulation game.  If after four (4) innings, three and one-half (31/2) innings, and the home teams is ahead, one team has a lead of ten (10) runs or more, the manager of the team with the least runs or more, the home team must bat in its half of the inning prior to calling a regulation game.  If the home team scores enough runs where the score difference is less than ten (10) runs, play will continue.

Now this seems very sensible to me!  Nobody wants to see a bunch of kids embarrassed in front of friends and family, right?  If the Commissioner of Major League Baseball would consider adapting this small change to the rule book I'm sure it would be best for everyone involved... not to mention the game.

I'll bet if the mercy rule had been in force yesterday, the coaches might still have elected to have the kids play out the game for practice. And afterward they could have gotten together for pizza or something... y'know, just to keep everyone's spirits up.

{/gloat}

221_16_5_5

Posted by David Bogner on May 29, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference That's just ... wrong!:

Comments

Not that it matters, but I know those fields well. Encino is my old stomping grounds. And if you want some useless trivia the Jackson family (as in Michael) live just up the street from those fields.

Randy's kids used to play there. Years ago I saw Janet at the Gelsons Market up the street.

But more important than anything else is this. The American League is fake baseball. Real teams don't use or need a D.H.

Posted by: Jack | May 29, 2005 10:05:30 AM

I just barely know enough about sports to recognize that this post is about sports. But I do know enough about HTML to know that you turn tags off with a slash (/) not a back slash (\).

Posted by: Doctor Bean | May 29, 2005 10:28:29 AM

Jack... You make a good point. As you know, I am dead set against the DH rule, and would do nearly anything to see that stain removed from the American League. However, I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that my Red Sox (a fake team)did a pretty good job of shutting down the best 'real team' the National League could offer up for the World Series, despite the fact that several of the games were played with pitchers taking their own at-bats. I'm just sayin'!

Doctor Bean... Sorry about the typo. I had shmira (guard duty) from 2:00 - 6:00 AM, and wrote this entry between getting home and making my family breakfast. At least I didn't screw up anyone's omelet!

Posted by: David | May 29, 2005 10:41:30 AM

So I am still up, at work, being a mashgiach (which by the way makes it difficult to post caue i keep going into the kitchen every 5 minutes), and I have to say, GO SOX!!!!!!!!! Again as an O's fan, it does my heart good to see the Yanks not doing as well as usual...... That being said, it is only May, and we have a while to go. I happen to genuinely like the Sox (even been to Fenway) which is difficult since they are in our division. I am sure that when IU eventually get to go home and go to sleep, then get up and check this I am going to regret babbling like this, oh well..... Shavua Tov!

Posted by: faye | May 29, 2005 10:42:52 AM

Weird things happen all the time. Ask the folks at Ripleys. ;)

Posted by: Jack | May 29, 2005 10:48:23 AM

First of all, I thought it was you wearing the Sox cap at Shifon on Friday, but now I'm much more sure...

I really should call my grandmother and hear her gloat. She's a huge Red Sox fan and went to her first game at age 5 - in 1925.

Posted by: Dave | May 29, 2005 11:05:05 AM

Even in College they have a mercy rule. If you're still behind by 10 or more after 7 innings... game over.

On MLB... one may argue that the only MAJOR league is the National League... The AL needs to get rid of the DH.

Posted by: oceanguy | May 29, 2005 2:39:55 PM

David, the Yankees don't deserve a mercy rule. They have been holding the rest of the leauge at the "mercy" of George Steinbrenners Wallet for years. We need a mercy rule from them. :-D

Posted by: Chaim | May 29, 2005 3:12:52 PM

Oh PULEEZE! You win one game and gloating begins???!!!... tsk tsk tsk.... it's just a matter of time before the Sox are at the bottom again, where they feel comfy!

But as a Yankee fan, I'm secure enough to let you enjoy your big win and feel that false sense of security .....

Posted by: val | May 29, 2005 3:59:09 PM

((snickering))

Posted by: Lisa, Displaced Sox Fan | May 29, 2005 5:08:51 PM

Interesting that the Yankees are leading the Sox in the standings even after the loss yesterday. It must have something to do with the BOSTON LOSS on Friday. My take is that Joe Torre needed to stretch his bullpen a bit, and if he lets the Sox hit a few, it's fine. It is called strategy.
After 26 World Championships, 40 League Championships and 43 First Place Finishes, October is alway a fun month.

Posted by: Yak | May 29, 2005 5:19:55 PM

Whoa! Don't think I've ever seen such a lopsided baseball score before! Although my loyalties are still with the A's and Giants, I feel sorry for the Yankees. Why can't there be baseball instead of soccer (exCUSE me, "football") here???

Posted by: AmyS | May 29, 2005 6:10:50 PM

Faye... Get some sleep... you're rambling! :-) I got your drift though; the enemy of my enemy, etc.

Jack... Just remember our wager, mmkay?

Dave... Yes, that was I. I must have been having a bad hair day if I was wearing my Sox cap. :-) You should have said hello. I feel like sometimes the bakery is my only place to run into people these days.

Oceanguy... OK, I see this is going to become a theme with some of you people so let me just remind you again that a) I agree that the DH rule stinks; and b) The AL team still managed to sweep the NL team in the series last year... batting pitchers and all.

Chaim... Oh to be a fly on the wall in the Yankee's locker room Saturday night! :-)

Val... Just so you know, I had nothin' whatsoever to say this morning and was trying to figure out how I could get you to write something... anything. I guess it worked! :-)

Lisa... I figured you'd enjoy that.

Yak... In addition to teasing my sis out of hiding, I figured I would probably hear from you as well. Now if only Tina would say hello I would have the Gay Yankee fan trifecta! :-) Seriously, nice to hear from you... sorry I can't get you tickets anymore. :-(

AmyS... We have a thriving Little League here in Efrat. Both Ariella and Gilad play and really enjoy themselves.

Posted by: David | May 29, 2005 8:36:27 PM

Jack... Just remember our wager, mmkay?

Oh, I have: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings

Looks to me like my little American League team has a record of 29-20 versus 26-22.

Posted by: Jack | May 29, 2005 8:51:38 PM

Jack... Don't count your Rugelach before they're baked! :-)

Posted by: David | May 29, 2005 8:55:33 PM

May 25, 2004
Yankees 11 Orioles 3
May 26, 2004
Yankees 12 Orioles 9
May 27, 2004
Yankees 18 Orioles 5

So tell me did you have rachmanos on the Orioles last year during those Shavuos days massacres?

Posted by: David Gerstman | May 30, 2005 2:35:40 AM

Jack... Don't count your Rugelach before they're baked! :-)

I won't, but I am certainly going to enjoy the smell. :D

Posted by: Jack | May 30, 2005 10:11:50 AM

Trifecta completed. ;)

--- The Yanks just let the (smelly) Sox have games like that to make them think they have less than 85 years to go til another series win.

It all balances out in the end.

Posted by: Tina | Jun 1, 2005 3:52:42 AM