« To drop the veil... or not? | Main | A word of explanation... »

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Another Nobel in the Making?

Make all the fuss you want to about Israeli advances in medicine... physics... microbiology... semiconductors... cellular technology.  As far as I'm concerned, I just stumbled across the most important Israeli innovation of the decade!

Yesterday I bought a container of Israeli windshield-wiper fluid at my local gas station... and it contained (I can't even believe I'm writing this!), exactly the same amount of mysterious blue liquid as my car's reservoir holds!

That's right... when I finished pouring it into the reservoir there was nothing left in the container.

Not.  One.  Drop.

No, really!

For years I've driven around the US with partially filled gallon jugs of wiper fluid sloshing around in my trunk.   Apparently the greatest minds at the US wiper fluid laboratories have never been able to reconcile the fact that not one car manufacturer on earth builds a car with a one gallon wiper fluid reservoir.  It should be obvious, but nobody could see it.

It's like that guy who picked up the little plastic table from his daughter's Barbie Playhouse and thought to himself "say... this would be perfect to put in the middle of a pizza to keep the top of the box from falling into the cheese!"

The solution only seems obvious when a great mind reveals it to us.

Each year there are six Nobel Prizes awarded... one each for Literature, Economics, Chemistry, Physics, Medicine and Peace.  It's a shame that none of these categories are sufficiently broad to be able to accommodate 'significant advances in automotive fluid packaging'.

Imagine...

Yet another Nobel going to a Jew:  Big Yawn.

The panel of Swedish judges handing the Nobel Prize to a mechanic from South Tel Aviv named 'Dudu':  Priceless!

[Cross-blogged @ Israelity... the soft underbelly of Israel21c]

220_15

Posted by David Bogner on February 22, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Another Nobel in the Making?:

Comments

this is particularly amusing to me since, just 30 mins ago, I emptied the last of a container of fluid into my car (that had been sloshing around in my trunk) and then poured more in from a fresh bottle.....and put the leftovers of the not-quite-empty bottle back into my trunk. *shrug* It's a mystery, Charlie Brown.

Posted by: celestial blue | Feb 22, 2005 7:24:07 PM

Celestial Blue... Of course you live in a part of the world where cars probably go through about a gallon a week in the winter! Still, it's annoying that the basic package doesn't match the space the product is designed to fill.

Posted by: David | Feb 22, 2005 9:48:29 PM

Well, now we'll have some marketing genius who will now sell us winshield wiper fluid in this small quantity for the same price, all while claiming the magic of no leftovers! Brilliant!

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 22, 2005 10:48:03 PM

You crack me up with your topics... windshield wiper fluid? ok...

Congrats on the Blog awards... very impressive!

Posted by: val | Feb 23, 2005 3:40:23 AM

Geoff... And worth every penny. When I go to the movies and they try to sell me the 5 gallon soda for only 10 cents more than the one my bladder can reasonably manage, I always say no thank you. There are other considerations besides just quantity. I don't want to miss part of the movie because of an emergency dash to the bathroom... and I don't want to turn my trunk into a warehouse for leftover auto fluids. Give me what I want- when I want it - in the correct quantity. Is that so hard?

Val... Have you ever had any doubts about the way my troubled mind operates? Thanks.

Posted by: David | Feb 23, 2005 9:11:02 AM

Thanks for making me smile early in the morning with this post ! I just love the idea with the plastic barbie table and the pizza :))

Posted by: Jany | Feb 23, 2005 9:42:55 AM

Jany... Yeah, the person who came up with that is sort of my hero.

Posted by: David | Feb 23, 2005 9:48:40 AM

Personally I think the person who invented the tape-roller-lint-remover thing should get the prize, but then I'm a woman after all.

Posted by: Alice | Feb 24, 2005 12:38:49 AM

I hate to burst your bubble. I have had a Toyota since '93 with exactly a one gallon washer tank that takes all of a one gallon bottle.

Posted by: Mitch | Feb 24, 2005 8:22:53 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.