« Thankful | Main | ‘Joe’ from ‘Nam’ »

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Photo Friday (Vol. IV)

Welcome, once again, to Photo Friday.

Hopefully those of you in the U.S. had a happy Thanksgiving.. and those of you elsewhere around the world (and all the ships at sea!) are ready for a well-deserved weekend.

I actually feel a little self-conscious posting pictures this week after the way I went on about Steve's photography.  I guess one could view my results as proof that if a company builds a better 'idiot proof' camera... there will always be somebody ready to step up and become a better idiot!

Today's installment is brought to you by Chuck, the head chef over at 'There's Pie in the Lunchroom'.

Chuck, who is one of my blogfathers, has made some interesting requests for today's spread:

1.  The view from your office window

2.  Your workspace at home

3.  Due north at 3:45 a.m.  (Ha!  But if you don't want to set your alarm, let's make it due north three hours and forty-five minutes after you leave the office.  Yes, I seem to be hung up on 345 here.  Dunno why.)

First comes the view out of our office window (this is the home office window since I can't  take pictures out of my 'work' office windows (well I suppose I could, but then I'd have a lot of explaining to do to the company's security officer).  The view is of the Arab vineyards along the hilltops behind our house.  The small settlement on the distant hilltop is called Neve Daniel (the Prophet Daniel):

121_2137

Next is my workspace inside the office that Zahava and I share.  She has a huge desk with scads of shiny Mac equipment, a scanner and a gigantic printer.  I have this small, impoverished corner. [sniff]  I don't ask for much.

Oh, one more thing... before Zahava rats me out, I will go on record as saying that, yes, I did straighten up a my desk a touch.  However, if she knows what's good for her, she won't gloat too loudly... because when I took this picture, I also took a couple of nice shots of her desk/workspace that could make an unannounced appearance at any time. =:~>

121_2139

This last request has had me stumped for the past couple of weeks.  You see, we live on the side of a mountain... in the middle of a largely undeveloped part of the country.  3:45AM does not provide many interesting photo ops.  It's dark out there.  North, south, east west... it doesn't matter.

Dark.

So I started thinking about 3:45 minutes after I leave the office.  Lessee now... the sun sets around 5:15 these days... and I don't usually leave work until 6:00 or 6:30!

Yup, pretty much the same view as the early morning shot.

What I settled on was 3 hours and 45 minutes after sunrise (or thereabouts).  This found me a little more than half way to work.  I pulled the car over... got out... pointed the camera north... and voila!  If you look closely you can see the windy road I had just traveled (towards the right):

345

Well, that about wraps up this week's edition of Photo Friday.  It was lots of fun for me... I hope for you as well.  If you'd like to make a photo request (3 to a customer), or if you'd like to comment on these, feel free!

Shabbat Shalom!

Shame221_1_1

Posted by David Bogner on November 25, 2004 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (Vol. IV):

Comments

The trampista-zahalnik scene will know you as "The one with the funny rites". They're lucky; you regularly save them from an endless ride through stones and stones....and stones.

And -- the desk comment is so typical male. First, it's this modest "Oh, I don't need much. Nah, really, be'mafsud." and then you [men] will play this off against us [women] in the most unbelievable moments. And there you [men] say we [women] have this way about us, of always putting things the implicit way, bothering you to always guess what we're meaning when we're saying things, yadah yadah. Ah, the cant. ;) Sorry, you won't find a pitier in me. =)

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Nov 26, 2004 12:24:02 PM

i always love foto friday, david. thanks for doing this. the pics are really great.

sorry no caps, i'm typing with one hand . . . stress injury to the other . . .

have a shabbat shalom

Posted by: Sarah | Nov 26, 2004 12:55:29 PM

Mademoiselle a. ... Actually, the day I took this shot, I had no soldiers with me. As to the nature of the commentary... guilty as charged.

Sarah... It's one of the highlights of the week for me too. And THANK YOU! (you know what for).

Posted by: David | Nov 26, 2004 4:04:12 PM

David, Very impressive landscape for somebody who is used to high mountains and a lot of green surroundings.

In Germany we have the expression "you can see who will join you for dinner tomorrow evening" (= as you have such a great view you can see people that are on their way already but still very far away).

I agree with Sarah. I love Photo Fridays.

Posted by: Sandra | Nov 26, 2004 5:36:14 PM

I just love how you show these "ordinary and yet extraordinary" photos from daily life. It's such a refreshing change, and I very much encourage you to keep it up. I'm always planning to do it myself..
You're not an anthropologist, are you?
Well, I think you'd make a great one :-)

Posted by: Hatshepsut | Nov 26, 2004 5:40:48 PM

To use my three-year-old's language, they're booful (beautiful). Add my check mark to the "love photo Friday" column. You mentioned you're doing your Thanksgiving tonight. Shabbat shalom and happy Thanksgiving. If, by some chance you'd like to read George Washington's original Thanksgiving Proclamation, click on my name and scrol down to "The Thanksgiving Proclamation".

Posted by: Doctor Bean | Nov 26, 2004 6:54:00 PM

Is that an Aeron chair? If so, pish posh.

Posted by: beth | Nov 26, 2004 9:21:40 PM

Sandra... As you probably already know, Israel has nearly every landscape and climate possible; Lush agricultural valleys... snow capped mountain (Hermon)... trackless deserts... and nearly everything in between. My commute takes me past quite a few of them. This vista is in the south Hevron hills, not too far from where the Negev desert starts to take over. I'm glad I had an opportunity to share it.

Hatshepsut... I would love it if you adopted the photo Friday tradition on your site! I already know what I'll ask for if you do. My only glimpse of Iceland came many years ago because of a three hour layover in Reykjavík during an Icelandic Airlines flight from New York to Europe.

Doctor Bean... Yes, Thanksgiving dinner was delayed by a day (until Friday night) but was a huge success none the less. We had a beautiful 17 pound turkey, all the trimmings, and Zahava made her famous chocolate bourbon pecan pie for desert! The little sliver of pie I ate was the only real cheat I've had on my diet so far... and it was soooo worth it! The only thing missing was watching the Macy's parade and football games on TV. Looking at pictures of the balloons and reading the game scores in the Jerusalem Post is a piss-poor poor substitute.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics... I find that getting a glimpse of far away places also reduces my vocabulary to the single-digit age bracket. :-)

Beth... Yes, I plant my ever-shrinking derrière in an Aeron chair. There is a story about this, but suffice it to say that I take better care of my back these days. I want to be able to lift up my grandkids someday... and the way it was looking there for a while that kind of exertion was in doubt.

Think of it like orthopedic shoes by Prada or Manolo. :-)

Posted by: David | Nov 27, 2004 9:53:30 PM

I'm absolutely in love with the view in the first picture. Do you know the artist Sabra Field? It reminds me of one of her paintings.

Posted by: Tanya | Nov 30, 2004 2:41:10 AM

Tanya... No, I'm not familier with that particular artist (but I would bet money that Zahava is). I don't see myself ever getting tired of this view!

Posted by: David | Nov 30, 2004 8:30:01 AM

My Friday photo requests:
1) The personal possession (not a person) you value above else.
2) The one food you would eat if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life.
3) The moon as viewed from your home.

Love the site. Thank you again for sharing your life with us.

Posted by: christopher naze | Dec 1, 2004 7:25:05 AM