« Bogner, David Bogner | Main | To protect the innocent »

Friday, November 12, 2004

Photo Friday (Vol. II)

Thanks for being such good sports about all the politics here on treppenwitz this week.  I guess Arafat's long goodbye had me a little on edge.

Anyway, it's Photo Friday again (I have this insane urge to call it Photo Phriday, but I'll try to resist the temptation), and today's picture requests come to you courtesy of Tanya, the proprietress over at RedSugar Muse.  Here requests:

1. Your morning soldiers, sleeping. (Just turn around at the wheel while driving, it'll be an adventure.)

2. Jordan in a Red Sox cap.

3. Something stereotypically American, labelled in Hebrew. (Like a Coke can, but you can't use that now.)

I couldn't figure out how to safely (and accurately) snap a picture of my slumbering soldiers while driving the windy road south to Be'er Sheva, so I just 'fessed up that I had a friend in the US who was curious about my regular trempistim (hitchhikers).  They were pleased as punch to be included (two pics):

Soldiers1_1

Soldier2

The next request - Jordan in a Red Sox cap - was not particularly hard to capture.  It seems everyone wants to be seen in a Red Sox hat this year!  Ah yes, Victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan!  Here she is:

121_2141

And last but not least... something stereotypical American, with Hebrew labeling.  The obvious choice is the Coca Cola bottle, but that's been done to death.  So here are a couple of other products (yes, I know the beer is not an American product, but it is common enough on the American scene that I took some liberty with the selection process.  The funny thing about the cola is that RC is pronounced exactly like a Hebrew word (arsee) which means something like venomous /poisonous:

121_2175_2

That wraps up this week's Photo Friday presentation.  As always, feel free to comment on the pictures or make requests of your own (3 wishes to a supplicant).

Shabbat Shalom!

Shame223_3

Posted by David Bogner on November 12, 2004 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Friday (Vol. II):

Comments

Very nice, although every time I think of beer in Israel Goldstar and Maccabee come to mind.The memories of the Summer of '85 live on.

Thanks for the pictures.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 12, 2004 9:40:17 AM

Great pictures...they brought a smile to my face. Taking a picture of something is almost like saying, "You are important enough to remeber" In this case it is the readers who decide what you should remember. Take care

Posted by: jason | Nov 12, 2004 11:43:38 AM

I've never heard of 'RC' - neither during my time in the States nor Israel...is it Cola? A synonym for "Real Casher" maybe, Ashkenazim coke *hrmph*. Arseem cola?
Your (male) officers, how should I put it...look very Russian, not the adonis-ized stereotype beaus we see on tourists postcards (you know...praying elite unit soldiers at the Kotel...).
Your dog does not look happy -- but maybe that is because you bribed him into this at very early hours. Actually, he looks like he's thinking "One day...one fine day, David Bogner, you're all mine. Aaalll mine."

I'm truly, very truly enjoying your photo meme. And I usually don't like memes, because they have much of a sadomaso psycho-striptease. But this one is a highlight during Fridays!

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Nov 12, 2004 12:00:32 PM

Jack... I agree, but the request was for something typically AMERICAN. Though my wife may beg to differ, I usually follow directions! :-)

Jason... I agree, and whenever someone requests something it does make me take a second look at it. Fun for the whole family, you might say.

Mademoiselle a. ... The Paratrooper in the front seat (who is the commanding Sgt. for a very elite bunch of soldiers) was born in Israel, but his family is from London originally. The two in the back seat (another paratrooper and some other elite infantryman) are both native born Israelis from old Israeli stock. And the female soldier (an army spokesperson) is from an old kibbutz family that came to Israel from eastern Europe three or four generations ago. You're just partial to the dark, swarthy Sephardi boys... am I right? ;-)

Posted by: David | Nov 12, 2004 12:58:42 PM

Hell, no... I am particular UNpartial about those unrealistic postcards. Well, even old Israeli stock (like half of my 'inherited' family) belongs to one or the other Aliyah. And there weren't toooo many, back then. :)

Posted by: mademoiselle a. | Nov 12, 2004 2:08:28 PM

Oh my goodness! Another Fab Photo Friday!
Those youngsters in the first pictures. Oh...they are so...young. Those pictures make my heart ache.
Please, please give Jordan some ear scratchies and tummyrubs from me and Gus.
And, well, RC cola is sorta venomous/ poisonous. Bleah!

Posted by: Lisa | Nov 12, 2004 3:13:03 PM

Wow RC Cola! I used drink that all the time as a kid, but I don't see it as much anymore. (I also don't drink soda anymore, so I don't look for it).

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 12, 2004 3:18:46 PM

Yay! I expected a long wait, since it took me so long to come up with my list.

Beautiful kids. They do look old enough to take care of themselves, but yeah... young. I like the word "trempistim" too. It sounds like what it means.

I was going to say that Jordan looks like a tortured Yankees fan with that expression on her face, but on second thought, she looks like she just drank that bottle of champagne in the corner. ;o)

I don't think I've ever has RC, but I know what it is. And RC stands for "Royal Crown" as I recall. (Mmmmm. Gold Star. I actually have a t-shirt with their logo on it.)

Asparagirl (now of TPotYoZ) explained the Sephardi-Ashkenazi thing to me a few years ago, but she gave me the impression that any bickering was basically over. I know you two are joking, but it reminded me - is it a still an issue over there?

Posted by: Tanya | Nov 12, 2004 4:58:58 PM

How cute is Jordan?????? the requisite "awwwwww" actually came out of my mouth as I saw the photo, but they are right, he looks ticked! He is definitely planning your demise!
Shabbat Shalom
-Faye

Posted by: Faye | Nov 12, 2004 9:37:45 PM

Mademoiselle a. ... I'll take your word for it... this time. :-)

Lisa... ear scratchies and tummyrubs delivered.

Geoff... there's a reason you don't seem much RC around; IT STINKS! I have no idea why we even have a bottle in the house... my kids won't even drink it (and ANY type of soda is a rare treat in our house).

Tanya... you have no idea how many dozens of shots I took of Jordan - all with the same expression. It seems that the anti-redeye feature gives a little pre-flash. Jordan's pained expression is her slow recovery from the first flash. And, that bottle in the corner waiting for the recycling bin is our doing, not the dog's.

Also, the Sephardi-Ashkenazi thing is way too complex for quick treatment in a reply. Yes, much of the class warfare has subsided, thanks in part to lots of intermarriage and social programs. However, I think it would be a huge exaggeration to say it is all in the past. Maybe I'll deal with my take on the culture clash of western and eastern communities here.

Faye... She gave me a big wet doggie kiss when I took the hat off of her.

Posted by: David | Nov 13, 2004 6:06:26 PM

I love the one with the Sox hat. Go Sox!!

Posted by: DM | Nov 14, 2004 1:37:51 AM

What an interestingly different post. It's always nice when people show bits of life in a "different" way like this, I really enjoyed it!

Posted by: Hatshepsut | Nov 14, 2004 1:58:48 AM

DM... I don't pick the pictures... I just field the requests.

Hatshepsut... Glad you liked the concept. Feel free to stop by anytime.

Posted by: David | Nov 14, 2004 1:45:09 PM