« The 'Aha!' factor of question #10 | Main | Surrogates »

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Irony Alert!

File this one under, “Are you sh*tting me?”

I read the 'teaser', "Arafat offers Olympic Truce!", and actually started giggling.

As I settled in to read what I thought was a very well written parody in the Jerusalem Post, it slowly dawned on me that it was supposed to be a serious (I won’t use the word legitimate) news article, and not a joke.

Here are the highlights of Arafat's remarks for those who don't like following links:

"On the occasion of lighting the Palestinian Olympic torch, I declare our respect and commitment for an Olympic Truce..."

"We hope that the revival of the ancient and noble Greek tradition will help in creating a world that enjoys peace, justice and security for the coming generations"

It seems that Abu Amar (I love the fact that Arafat and his thugs all use noms de guerretres révolutionnaire!), has extended the olive branch to Israel, offering the 'traditional Olympic truce of ancient times' during the upcoming Athens Olympics.

No really... I'm not making this up, he really said this!

He is probably perfectly correct in assuming that everyone except Israel will have forgotten about that little faux pas in 1972 when he sent a band of his terrorists into the Munich Olympic Village to kidnap and murder a fairly significant portion of the Israeli contingent.

C'mon... don't act all surprised... I mean sure, you can get banned from the Olympics for life for taking the wrong kind of cough medicine (illegal substances and all that... very serious business!), but if you 'only' kill off a few of the competition… “That’s ok, all is forgiven… welcome back to the bosom of international pageantry that are the Olympic games. This time you won't have to break into the Olympic Village... we'll give you your own keys!”

Go here and read the entire article. You’ll immediately understand why I thought this was some sort of elaborate spoof.

[As a reward for slogging through yet another political entry, anyone who leaves a polite, coherent comment can request a gmail invite for themselves or a friend (great gift idea!). Please people, I'm not asking you to jump through hoops, write compelling essays or do any sucking-up...just a complete, coherent, sentence :-) An extra invite goes to the first person to politely point out any errors in my French!]

Posted by David Bogner on June 27, 2004 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Irony Alert!:

Comments

one of the olympic entrants from the PA is a boxer. let's see who they put him up against. also, here' another doozy article from today's news to spin your head:

America Nixes Israeli Bullets in Iraq
18:45 Jun 27, '04 / 8 Tammuz 5764

(IsraelNN.com) The American Armed Services subcommittee has ruled that Israeli manufactured bullets sold to America may not be used by American forces in Iraq or Afghanistan, to avoid the bullets being used against Muslims.

Posted by: yonah | Jun 27, 2004 7:10:23 PM

Perhaps the Palestinians would like to bring in rock throwing and Israeli Killing into the Olympics as an official sport.

That could explain the sucking up to Athens.

It makes more sense to me, that they just need time to regroup after Israels latest incursions:)

P.S.- I would love a Gmail invite :D

Posted by: Zach | Jun 27, 2004 8:12:04 PM

How can the palestinians field an Olympics squad, anyways? Even the U.N. hasn't given them full recognition as a country, right?

I'll avoid the temptation to make up more mock events for their participants, and instead share a link to this interesting table, which ranks countries in terms of most medals won, *per capita*:

Liechtenstein wins, with 9 medals (not bad, for a country of 32,600 inhabitants). Lebanon looks to me to come out on top amongst Middle East countries, at #67 (I'm sure they've been nose-diving since Syria took over). Israel edged Kuwait out for the next-ranked Middle East country, coming in at #76.

PS: Thanks for the Gmail offer!

Posted by: Alan | Jun 27, 2004 9:23:46 PM

hmmm... Well, unlike Israel, the Olympic Committee is not bound by any U.N. Resolutions! :-)

I'm a bit confused by the whole Israeli bullet thing... is it somehow preferable to be shot with American bullets? I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during the meeting that came up with this bright idea!

Posted by: David | Jun 27, 2004 10:26:57 PM

They can't blow up the olympics because they're sending 3 of their own. (3 Palestinians are competing.)

(plz send gmail invite :-)

Posted by: Dave Van | Jun 28, 2004 8:15:00 AM

I guess the concept of the suicide bomber has escaped your notice.

Posted by: David | Jun 28, 2004 12:26:31 PM

Always enjoy reading your blog, but why are you obsessing about the French? The French won’t normally even admit to understanding English, let alone speaking or writing it. The only mistake I can see is that you missed the accent grave off the “e” in très – would love a gmail invite.

Posted by: Mal | Jun 29, 2004 7:00:46 PM

If this is true, the answer for world peace becomes apparent: NON-STOP, YEAR-ROUND OLYMPICS.

Ta-da!

(G-mail me, please!)

Posted by: Jim | Jun 29, 2004 10:53:50 PM

"'... which I signed in my besieged office,' Arafat said."

I would certainly like to show him "beseiged"!

Posted by: Jean | Jun 30, 2004 6:50:04 AM