« Surrogates | Main | The gift that keeps on giving »

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Honey, I'm home!

OK... According to the 'June Cleaver-esque' information at the other end of this link, it would appear that, sadly, feminism is officially dead. Everyone stop CPR... I'm calling it... Time of death: 5:38 PM.

The [apparently all-male] editors over at Family Circle Magazine seem to think that women's suffrage means being able to vote on which presidential candidate's wife has the tastier cookie recipe!

What's next, a contest to see which potential First Lady can look more solicitous handing her hubby his double martini as he walks through the door after a hard day at the office?

I have to say... it's gonna to be really hard to decide who to waste my absentee ballot on this November!

Posted by David Bogner on June 29, 2004 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Honey, I'm home!:

Comments

Yes, this is disturbing. But Family Circle definitely never touted itself as a feminist magazine. Or serious literature.

And I am so voting for Teresa Heinz Kerry's Pumpkin Spice cookies! Not sure about her husband, but those cookies look divine!

Posted by: Noa | Jun 29, 2004 11:20:56 PM

I am frightened that both you and Chuck from "There's Pie in the Lunchroom"--a mere day apart--have a blog with the same exact headline of "Honey I'm home".

It's not a good enough line to *steal* so I know neither one of you did, but still. Scary.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 29, 2004 11:29:45 PM

Thank you Noa! Quod erat demonstrandum. :-)

Hi Jim.,

Chuck was going for that whole edgy, Jack Nicholson thing. I was trying for a more Ward Cleaver (instead of meat cleaver) tone. But hey, anytime you want to mention me in the same sentence with Chuck, that's fine with me.

Posted by: David | Jun 29, 2004 11:32:39 PM

Ah, Family Circle. Definitely what Noa said about it not being at the forefront of feminism.

I don't have time right now, but actually my first thought was to look for subliminal messages in those recipies...

Posted by: jen | Jun 30, 2004 10:13:10 AM

no, no this is PERFECT. Let's stop all this political yammering. Do we really believe what either one of these guys says on the election trail? But cookies - now there is something you can actually taste.
That's it. Thats gonna be my method. I am making both recipies and the winner will get my vote in Novemeber.
(oops...Did I notice Laura's had chocolate chunks in them. Oh well, I have stopped eating chocolate - well, I will have to settle for pumpkin then)

Posted by: lisa | Jun 30, 2004 2:53:03 PM

Posted by: Gil Ben Mori | Jun 30, 2004 3:52:51 PM

Teresa Heinz Kerry's cookies will be on my table (or in my mouth) by Friday. I even happen to have a leftover can of pumpkin from Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Noa | Jun 30, 2004 3:58:35 PM

"Glad that I don't have to take part in the circus which Americans call an election!"

...as opposed to the sober, majestic pageant that is the Israeli electoral system. :-)

Posted by: David | Jun 30, 2004 4:01:31 PM

But Gil -- you can joyfully partake in this far more authentic election --- no need for American citizenship.

Posted by: Noa | Jun 30, 2004 4:01:41 PM