« A New Olympic Event: Political Correctness | Main | A Complete Lack of Curiosity »

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Ain't Technology Grand?

Standing on the side of the road a few hundered meters from the Cave of the Patriarchs (Ma'arat HaMachpelah) in the Judean Hills, I was able to take out my portable computerized video tablet (also known as an iPad), and watch a live stream of the ball dropping in Times Square at 7:00AM Israel time.

I was then able to pull out my pocket-sized computerized video communicator (also known as an iPhone), and make a free VOIP call to my (much) older sister on the other side of the world and wish her a Happy New Year.

I'm still waiting for my unisex metalic jumpsuit, flying car and robotic dog... but I have to admit that the future is almost everything I'd hoped for when I was a kid.

Happy (secular) New Year!

Posted by David Bogner on January 1, 2014 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ain't Technology Grand?:

Comments

LOVE what technology can do for us nowadays! Every time I FaceTime with someone in the US I think about how amazing it is that we can so easily be in touch so far away.

Posted by: SaraK | Jan 1, 2014 9:40:25 AM

It's funny that they predicted huge things that never happened and mostly missed the real miracles.

Posted by: Nachum | Jan 1, 2014 11:58:42 AM

SaraK ... True. When Zahava and I were in Venice standing next to the grand canal, I took out my phone and opened a Tango video chat with Ariella. When she came online she saw gondolas sailing past behind me and was green with envy. All that via a phone!

Nachum ... As far as I can tell, the best predictor of future technology (miracles) has been Star Trek: pocket communicators (cell phones), wireless earpieces (look at Lt.Uhura's ear), touch screen computers and tablets, tiny computer storage (thumb drives), COmputers that respond to voice commands (Siri), doors that open upon the approach of a person, Hypospray medication injectors, Universal translator (google translate)...

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jan 1, 2014 12:08:13 PM

So cool. Happy 2014!

Posted by: Alissa | Jan 1, 2014 12:16:11 PM

You can buy the jumpsuit in Tel Aviv

Posted by: Alan T | Jan 1, 2014 2:52:10 PM

And Happy (Secular) New Year to you and your family as well, brother!

We can always pray for peace. And remain VERY watchful.

MC

Posted by: mostly cajun | Jan 1, 2014 5:01:53 PM

Alissa... RIght back atcha!

Alan T... I said metalic, not spandex!

mostly cajun ... Wishing you and yours the best. You should come over here... I'll arrange for you to be able to visit some REAL tanks. ;-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jan 1, 2014 5:06:12 PM

Thanks for the call though since when is 3.5 years "much older"????!!!
Happy new year! Xo

Posted by: Val | Jan 1, 2014 8:44:52 PM

Jetpack! I want my jetpack!

Posted by: bratschegirl | Jan 2, 2014 12:14:58 AM

Yup! Skyping at the Kotel is so much fun, too.

Posted by: SaraK | Jan 2, 2014 10:32:47 AM

How about a talking robotic dog?

Posted by: mrzee | Jan 16, 2014 4:14:15 AM

I thought your sister was only a couple years older than you no?

Posted by: Andy | Jan 29, 2014 1:58:27 AM