« Big Shot | Main | The Eggnog Post »

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

'Tis The Season (according to some)

I've been hearing from some of my friends in the US that the smell of stuffing and turkey wasn't even out of the kitchen before stores and malls began breaking out the Christmas decorations and music.

Personally, I sort of miss Christmas music for purely cultural reasons (I grew up in New England!).  But I can understand how some might find the early onset of 'the season' (some vendors already had Christmas stuff on display as soon as the Halloween decorations come down!!!), to be a tad intrusive.

It turns out that I can help you out with a little insider information from the Holy Land.

In the Bible, Efrat (the town where I live) and Bethlehem are used interchangeably.  At that time, apparently they were one and the same.  Today, Efrat is right next door to Bethlehem, and each time I make the ten minute trip to Jerusalem, I pass the entrance road to Bethlehem... just a few hundred yards from Manger Square.

What I'm here to tell you is that, at least as of today, there are no Christmas lights up in Manger Square or anywhere on the approach road to it.  The Monastery on the Jerusalem side of Bethlehem has no decorations up yet, and the Christian Quarter of Jerusalem's Old CIty has yet to break out the Christmas trimmings.

I'll let you know when things start to go up here... but for the time being, if you want to have a chat with the management of your local mall or Home Depot (without being a grinch, mind you), you can politely tell them with some authority that it's crazy to be rocking Christmas decorations and holiday music in Hackensack or Peoria when at ground zero of Christianity they haven't begun to even un-box the tinsel!

Don't thank me... I'm a giver!  :-)

Posted by David Bogner on December 4, 2013 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'Tis The Season (according to some):

Comments

In Peoria and Hackensack, they don't care what's going on in Bethlehem. That's because they're not selling Christianity. They're selling iPads.

Posted by: psachya | Dec 4, 2013 12:25:47 PM

The stores here are guilty of similar behavior. I went to my local Rami Levi earlier today, and, on the seventh day of Chanuka, the Chanuka merchandise has already been replaced with dried fruits and nuts for Tu b'Shvat.

Posted by: Rachel | Dec 4, 2013 4:50:58 PM

Rachel... So true. I'm going a bit nuts from all the Tu B'SHvat music on the radio. ;-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Dec 4, 2013 5:35:42 PM

psachya beat me to the punch. I was going to say the same thing.

Posted by: Alissa | Dec 4, 2013 6:40:45 PM

I thought for sure this was going to be one of your eggnog posts! :-)

Posted by: Mattis Gorin | Dec 5, 2013 5:31:39 AM

Sadly, I saw Christmas decorations for sale weeks before Thanksgiving. Every holiday in this country is over-commercialized.

Posted by: Karl | Dec 7, 2013 4:52:10 AM

perhaps worst is the music. I’ve never had a problem with hearing Christmas music in stores or on the radio….(some of that stuff isn’t half-bad… besides, not all of ‘our’ holiday songs are that good).

But, certain radio stations & stores now play all-Christmas music/all the time, a good month in advance. And it’s none of that fun Springsteen/Madonna/the Waitresses/Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer stuff.

We’re talking Johnny Mathis, Perry Como, etc. Nice folks w/nice voices, but by the time Christmas comes around, you need insulin.

Where’s the marketing research---Is there really anyone in America younger than 70 who wants to hear that stuff all day for 5 weeks? I cannot believe that.

Posted by: jrs | Dec 12, 2013 3:37:52 PM