« Let me tell you how this all plays out in Syria | Main | Boycott Israel if you must... »

Friday, September 13, 2013

The other shoe

Anyone want to venture a guess what sort of statement was made yesterday afternoon to the press?

And I quote:

"Syria President Bashar Assad said Thursday that Israel should be the first to disarm from weapons, since it has nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. He added that all countries in the Mideast should be held to international protocol in order to achieve stability in the region."

Notice he didn't say 'also'.  He said 'first'... as in 'Syria isn't going to do anything until Israel is forced to do it first'.

Russia knew it (and maybe even planned it).  America never even saw it coming.  Rookie move by Kerry to offer such an opening; even rhetorically.   And foolish for Obama not to have slammed the door quickly by issuing an immediate clarification.

[Hat tip to Roni Brandl for spotting it first]

Posted by David Bogner on September 13, 2013 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The other shoe:

Comments

You called it, didn't you? Yes, you did.

In foreign policy matters, I am afraid that our Commander-in-Chief is an Obamateur... and what we need is a professional.

Posted by: Elisson | Sep 13, 2013 3:00:57 PM

I read your previous post, and I thought, "Naw, too far-fetched. Assad is too preoccupied with his own civil war to drag Israel into the mix."

Silly me.

You called it.

Posted by: antares | Sep 13, 2013 4:58:39 PM

Israel could get rid of by dropping them on Syria

Posted by: Dave | Sep 13, 2013 7:03:14 PM

You're like my wife who sees the movie plot unravel 20 minutes before me. On that note, I would characterize this little charade as the makings of a horror movie. Any predictions on how this is going to end? At this point, I'm covering my eyes.

Posted by: Ari | Sep 15, 2013 3:53:49 AM

Um. Why hasn't anyone hired you to be the political advisor for the US? ;)

Posted by: Alissa | Sep 15, 2013 4:14:44 PM

Aaaaaaaand, they're off!

And if Assad had said that about any other country, he would have been jeered off the stage. But Israel is - how do you say - special that way.

Now let's see what John "Henry Kissinger II" Kerry has to say about that. I'm starting to think of him, Barack Obama, and Joe Biden as the re-release of the Three Stooges. (Obama, of course, is Moe.)

Posted by: psachya | Sep 16, 2013 6:50:36 PM

Alissa, I think he's more of a Larry. After all, in the words of Homer Simpson "Moe is their leader" MoeBama is Not a leader! Lol :-)

Posted by: LFD | Sep 23, 2013 4:12:18 AM