« A familiar beginning | Main | What an awkwardly worded denial! »

Thursday, January 03, 2013

A Pet Peeve

There do no exist enough swear words in the English language to allow me to express my antipathy towards clothing manufacturers who only make men's pants with inseams measured in even numbered inches (which is pretty much all of them).

I have a 33" inseam and have basically three choices:

• Buy pants with a 34" inseam and have them hemmed.
  • Buy pants with a 32" inseam and feel like a math nerd at a frat party.
  • Buy really high end slacks with unfinished hems and have them tailored.

Just once I'd like to be able to walk into a store, buy a pair of pants off the rack, and walk out wearing them without looking like a homeless person or a geek!

Posted by David Bogner on January 3, 2013 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A Pet Peeve:

Comments

I order from LandsEnd, which offers odd sized pants for reasonable prices (although, I am sorry to admit, I order 37s)- http://www.landsend.com

But can't you get inexpensive tailoring done on a trip to India?

Posted by: Shalom | Jan 3, 2013 9:55:04 PM

Short legs.. mine are 32"... jes saying'! :)

Posted by: Val | Jan 4, 2013 12:51:47 AM

Some manufacturers make a 29" inseam pants, but it takes some hunting and good luck to find them.

Posted by: Nighthawk700 | Jan 4, 2013 1:41:43 AM

My size is 33-28 and I have a devil of a time finding properly sized trousers at the stores. My best luck recently has been with The Gap (though only online as they don't stock that size in the stores) and I just recently ordered four pairs.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 4, 2013 7:19:43 AM

I share your frustration. In my case, it's mostly with waist sizes, which also tend to be only even numbers. Bah.

Posted by: Elisson | Jan 4, 2013 4:01:35 PM

an even more overlooked segment of society: those of us whose hands don't reach nearly to our knees. I'm not going to have the cuffs on every button-down shirt moved up and re-sewn.... so the only options are rolling them up--not always appropriate, or wearing them buttoned at the cuff, with that puffy-sleeved Accordion look.

Posted by: jrs | Jan 4, 2013 4:01:42 PM

As Shalom stated, Lands End will hem pants in 1/4" increments. They also run sales and deals very often. I'm usually in E"Y every few mopnths. I'd be happy to bring them and spare you the shipping costs.

Posted by: Michael H | Jan 4, 2013 5:04:43 PM

Are you trying to put me out of business!! I have a deal with Lands End that all the pants they sell are not the right length for anyone and then I get to shorten them

Posted by: shelley bloom | Jan 5, 2013 8:54:51 PM

I sincerely hope that we have a few years of this being your worst problem :)

Posted by: Anonymous Cow | Jan 7, 2013 5:26:14 PM

I get those pants with the elastic tabs in the waist these days... They always feel perfect and with a belt on, noone can tell.

Posted by: Maksim-Smelchak | Feb 18, 2013 8:37:08 PM