« What an awkwardly worded denial! | Main | The Bogeyman Hiding in the Shower »

Friday, January 25, 2013

A new family record!

This may suggest to some readers the paucity of material I've had to work with lately, but I'm proud to report to the remaining faithful readers that a new record has been set here at chez treppenwitz:

Thirteen single, unmatched socks in one load of the kids' clean laundry... and not one pair!

Forget about looking for an explanation. It will only lead to the kind of frustration that makes parents old before their time.

Posted by David Bogner on January 25, 2013 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A new family record!:

Comments

Sock brigade recruits. They somehow sneak out the back of the dryer. They are gathering and someday will take over the world.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 25, 2013 3:17:59 PM

wait these are boys socks... look at those whites!!

Posted by: weese | Jan 25, 2013 3:26:40 PM

Perhaps some of them are from guests hosted long ago, which the kids have been wearing? Hey wait, I recognise one of those socks.... I think it's Simon's;-)

Posted by: Kiwi Noa | Jan 25, 2013 8:07:33 PM

And this reminds me why all my socks are white. Same design and everything. Grab two at random from the pile, and instamatch. :)

Posted by: Eowyn | Jan 26, 2013 2:34:41 PM

Unmatched socks are the larval form of wire coat hangers.

Posted by: Nina | Jan 27, 2013 4:32:09 AM

Is it a record for the least number of unmatched socks or the most? In my house, it would be a record for the least :-)

Posted by: Ariela | Jan 27, 2013 6:30:12 AM

and this is why as an adult I only own two typs of socks, boot socks(OD Green military type) and work socks(crew style(grey)) they all are the same brand and size, so any two of the same type make a pair. I normally dont even match them up, just put them in the drawer, boots on the left and crews on the right. It works.

Posted by: dagamore | Jan 28, 2013 12:24:08 AM

At last. Proof that there is a stargate under the dryer.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Jan 29, 2013 6:44:59 PM

I call those "orphan socks". There are some in every single load of wash done here. I keep all the orphans in a designated location and add with every load. About once a month (or so) I go through and see how many pairs I can make. If I notice a sock or three lingering in the orphan bag too long they are disposed of.

Posted by: beth | May 7, 2013 12:07:54 AM