« Uncle Drew | Main | Rodney King: The dark Forrest Gump »

Thursday, June 14, 2012

I think I must have something in my eye... [~sniff~]

As the youngest Vietnam Vets are reaching retirement age, it is heartwarming to see this kind of thing. To me, at least, it shows that some people are struggling to come to terms with the shabby treatment of the previous generation of vets.

Well worth 2 minutes and 31 seconds of your day.

The question the kid asks is "Are you a hero too... that guy over there says you were."

Tip of the Hat to a my favorite Cajun (and fellow veteran)

Posted by David Bogner on June 14, 2012 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I think I must have something in my eye... [~sniff~]:

Comments

Wow! Thanks for posting this.

As you know. one of my earliest memories with my grandfather is deeply connected to this issue. When I was a young child (height of the Vietnam War) I used to accompany my Grandfather to our city's annual Memorial Day Parade. One of the few times I ever saw my Grandfather with tears in his eyes was at one of those parades -- as anti-war protesters jeered the local vets as they marched.

I will never forget how upset Grandpa Leo was, nor will I ever forget how he took the time to explain to me that the protesters could have easily protested the war without disparaging the men and women -- the vast majority of whom were drafted -- who risked their lives to serve the country....

I am glad that at least some of those brave men and women are finally being acknowledged the terrible and irreparable wrong they were shown.... As I watched the film, I cried for the thousands who did not live to see their sacrifices validated....

Posted by: zahava | Jun 14, 2012 7:30:13 PM

Highly recommended, "Homecoming" by Bob Greene. http://www.amazon.com/Homecoming-When-Soldiers-Returned-Vietnam/dp/0399133860

Posted by: lrg | Jun 14, 2012 9:26:53 PM

Heavens. Maybe the new generation will be able to heal some of the wounds the older generation inflicted upon itself. 'Twould be nice.

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Jun 14, 2012 11:40:39 PM

My aunt was in the army shortly after Vietnam. She remembers being in the airport in her uniform and having someone spit at her. If anyone were to do that today they'd be clean clobbered by the public. I'm forwarding this video to her! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: JDMDad | Jun 15, 2012 1:01:06 PM

I loved this (and I volunteered for the U.S. Army shortly after Vietnam). I'm consistently amazed at the difference I see in soldiers between now and my time -- it's a positive improvement.

My only question: who is moment.org? Appears to be some sort of Christian group, primarily interested in what are now called 'traditional values', but there's nothing other than the youtube videos.

Posted by: B2P | Jun 16, 2012 2:13:01 AM

A touching video, to be sure, and certainly demonstrates the fine points mentioned in these previous comments. But it makes me sad and angry that the stupidity of our leaders, then and now, is not worthy of the bravery of our servicemen and women.

Posted by: Gary | Jun 16, 2012 5:30:13 PM

Wry Mouth: Many who've tried to track down the story of spitting on Vietnam-era military found that they were unable to substantiate the story. Others have found scant evidence. Perhaps your aunt should write about her experiences.

I'm old enough to remember the era, and if the spitting phenomenon were at all common I would have read about it and remembered it.