« It ain't gonna happen | Main | Accommodations may vary. Be flexible. »

Sunday, May 06, 2012

I guess I've been living under a rock!

Nobody, but nobody can do a mortified eye-roll like a teenager faced with a parent who has just discovered some artifact of popular culture that is weeks, or [gasp] months old.

Multiply that eye-rolling by two and you'll have an idea what I faced this past week when I expressed my appreciate for a YouTube phenom called 'Walk Off The Earth' to my resident teenagers.

Walk Off The Earth  does some extremely creative covers of existing hits... but they also have some original stuff.

Here are two vids to get you started.  Just put them on when your teenagers enter the room and watch the eye-rolling begin.  For added effect, tell them the band is 'redonkulous'.

After this you're on your own... you'll have to find your own ways to prove to your kids how behind the times you are.

Posted by David Bogner on May 6, 2012 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I guess I've been living under a rock!:

Comments

You want behind the times, Dave? I'll give you behind the times. At work a while back, I translated the Hebrew equivalent of "Let your fingers do the walking" into the English original... and my colleagues, an average of fifteen to twenty years younger than myself, didn't get the reference. One asked me politely whether I'd made some mistake in the metaphor, and I had to explain the expression. I felt a million years old.

Posted by: Rahel | May 6, 2012 2:04:31 PM

Sheesh David, I'm WEEKS ahead of you.
;-)

Posted by: Quietusleo | May 6, 2012 5:40:22 PM

I can't even comment, because my kids screen my videos for me these days. "Nope, Ema. That one's not for you..."

Posted by: rutimizrachi | May 6, 2012 6:00:05 PM

Yep... U r living under a rock! Jeez. Get with it, will ya?!!!

Posted by: Val | May 6, 2012 6:32:34 PM

And here's the hebrew version. When I showed it to my fifteen-year-old, she didn't even bother with the eye-rolling; I think the look she gave me was one of pity.

Posted by: Baila | May 6, 2012 9:57:25 PM

OH, my kids actually were impressed and did cover it for a local performance. On the other hand I have to endure Heavy Metall most of the time. Though, this isn't really new either...

Posted by: Kurt | May 6, 2012 10:50:46 PM

wow. that first video is great. thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: abba's rantings | May 8, 2012 7:00:09 AM

Thanks for sharing!

For your amusement...
This is the parody that came up while searching for WOTE's other stuff.

Posted by: Greg | May 10, 2012 6:26:47 PM