« From a wave to a curse in one year | Main | Feeling Old »

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The first eggnog of the season

Eggnog season officially runs from the day after Halloween until New Years Day.  However the 'minhag' at chez treppenwitz is that we generally have it until Thanksgiving, then give our cholesterol a break for a few weeks, and then make one or two more batches sometime during Hanukah

I got up early this morning and whipped up the first of what will likely be many batches of eggnog of the season.  It took all of five minutes and the results were, all modesty aside, spectacular. Eggnog in coffee is heavenly!

Tonight I'll make another batch and toss in a tot of bourbon. [~drool~]

I've posted a few recipes in the past.  But the best one (and simplest by far) is as follows:

Egg Nog (source here):

INGREDIENTS:

6 eggs
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup dark rum (Captain Morgan for best flavor, but Myers is OK)
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk

PREPARATION:

All liquids should be very cold. Refrigerate in advance. Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Turn the mixer off and stir in the cold brandy, rum, whipping cream and milk Chill before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg. Makes about 2-1/2 quarts.
Note: For daytime (especially morning) eggnog, leave out the booze. At other times I add the alcohol just before serving. Oh, and I almost always use bourbon rather than the rum or brandy.

Don't thank me... I'm a giver.

Posted by David Bogner on November 10, 2011 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The first eggnog of the season:

Comments

Ooooh, have I got a treat for you, Nog-Boy... check this out. Saw these while moving the Mistress of Sarcasm to her new home in NW Connecticut.

Posted by: Elisson | Nov 10, 2011 5:52:09 PM

Bourbon for Rum?? THATS SACRILEGE!!!! The sweetness of finely fermented sugar cane is MADE FOR eggnog. Please explain yourself.

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 10, 2011 10:23:35 PM

What is the shelf life of this mixture? Don't tell me you always finish the batch before it goes bad so you don't know!
Also I think that one can substitute light cream for the mixture of milk and heavy cream and get in the same ball park milkfat wise.

Posted by: shmiel | Nov 11, 2011 2:50:31 AM

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with it, but I can't quite get my brain around something that contains uncooked eggs. It even has it in the name.

Egg.

Nog.

Nope. Can't go there.

Posted by: psachya | Nov 11, 2011 4:36:00 AM

I had the same question - how can you be sure that a mixture with raw eggs won't give you salmonella?

Posted by: Lena | Nov 12, 2011 1:14:03 AM

Ah, cold is good, but on a chill evening, a batch of HOT eggnog, thick because the yolks have custarded (is that a word?) up in the whole milk, the egg whiles whipped to a meringue and then folded in, and a bit of bourbon stirred in to the steaming mix just immediately before serving, now THAT'S a family tradition among the branch of Cajundom, from which I originate.

And Lena, in MY version, the eggs do indeed cook, albiet slowly, before serving.

MC

Posted by: mostly cajun | Nov 12, 2011 4:25:22 AM

sorry, folks! I was remiss. Here's a recipe for WARM egg nog that's been around for a while: http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=8259

MC

Posted by: mostly cajun | Nov 12, 2011 5:00:50 PM

Elisson... Nice selection. But I have to admit I enjoy the homemade stuff.

ProphetJoe... 'Al tam v'reach...' :-)

shmiel ... It's never lasted long enough to test the shelf life. :-)

psachya... It has to be experienced.

Lena... If you have a probelm in your area with salmonella, use egg beaters.

mostly cajun... I'll have to try that.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Nov 13, 2011 3:54:44 PM

*sigh*

Babelfish, Babylon 9, and Google translate can't give me a translation for:

'Al tam v'reach

Anyone care to help this poor Midwestern goy out?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably something along the lines of:

1) "to each his own."
2) "try it, you'll like it!"
3) "Rum is the devil's drink"
or
4) "I own 40% of the stock in Jim Beam Distilleries"

PJ

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 14, 2011 4:38:44 PM

It means "about taste and smell...". It is the start of a longer expression: about taste and smell there is no arguing.

Posted by: Treppenwitz | Nov 14, 2011 5:23:38 PM

Thanks, Trepp -- so... if you're basing your egg nog quality on the smell and taste of the alcohol, you obviously are agreeing with me -- rum is the way to go!! ;-)

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 14, 2011 10:18:29 PM