« I had to share these | Main | In excellent company... »

Monday, November 21, 2011

Radio Silence

I'm sure you've noticed that things have been a bit quiet here lately.  Okay, a lot quiet.

I'd love to say that it is because I'm too busy to blog.  But sadly it seems to be a case of having lost touch with my muse.

For me, writing is something that happens naturally first thing in the morning.  It is something organic that I can't force or rush.  Either it happens... or it doesn't.

Lately I've been in a bit of a funk... somewhere between your garden variety ennui and clinical depression.

I don't like the idea of using my blog as a vehicle to garner sympathy or to try to get people to join in for a chorus of 'poor me'.  No… whatever it is, I hope to be able to claw my way back to a state of mind conducive to communicating with the outside world all on my own.

But until that happens, please pardon the radio silence.

Posted by David Bogner on November 21, 2011 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Radio Silence:

Comments

Is this a coincidence? I have not read your blog in quite some time and when I finally do all I get is radio silence?...it's enough to drive a man insane...looking forward to you resuming your usual posting schedule...

Posted by: Jewish Music | Nov 21, 2011 5:01:53 PM

You're just about the only guy I know with the ability to write eloquently about your inability to write eloquently.

Take your time. I'm sure that when you have something to say, it'll have been worth the wait.

Posted by: psachya | Nov 21, 2011 6:28:43 PM

I always enjoy your posts. I've never met you but it seems to me that your
personality comes through in your posts and this is part of what makes them such
an enjoyable and interesting read.

So don't rush things. I'm sure most readers will be happy to wait
until the spirit move you. I know I will.

With great appreciation

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 21, 2011 7:27:05 PM

Sorry to hear that. I'll be parked with my morning cup of coffee ready for when you do return. Take care and love from us both.

Posted by: Kiwi Noa | Nov 21, 2011 7:39:40 PM

Looking forward to when you come out the other side of the "funk" with keyboard blazing. Be sure you get some sunshine on these short days, and some exercise for endorphins. Brisk walk at lunchtime, maybe? This too shall pass, as they say. Be well.

Posted by: bratschegirl | Nov 21, 2011 9:41:45 PM

It's fall/winter, and that's kinda depressing for commuters. You're also between holidays. So I'd say a little downer-ness is perfectly normal. Eat some good food, play with your son, read some good books/ebooks, and your muse will get fueled up to go.

Posted by: Maureen | Nov 22, 2011 1:24:00 AM

When the inspiration hits, you will write. I know. Sometimes I go weeks without writing on my blog and then double up because I get inspired. It could be by a good deed, a funny story, a sudden happy moment. Like the others have said, no need to rush. You have plenty of archives to tide us over.

Posted by: nanaloshen | Nov 22, 2011 3:56:44 AM

David, I hope you feel better soon. I'll be waiting to read your future posts when you're ready to write them.

Posted by: Rahel | Nov 22, 2011 12:13:31 PM

happens to all of us for all kinds of reasons. take your time. you'll come back stronger....

Posted by: faygie | Nov 22, 2011 3:52:09 PM

There must be something going around. The financial markets seem to be teetering on edge. The world appears to be gearing up for further war and chaos. And worst of all... My favorite bloggers are all going radio silent. My theory is that you have all found some sort of therapeutic outlet and no longer need the catharsis of your writing. I say you should all abandon your healthy social interactions and retreat once again into the warm embrace of your audience. As we hunch over our internet connection seeking wisdom in the crystal ball of our monitors, we long for the voices that provide enlightenment, escapism, or even imagined feelings of familial connection. Please come back to us. Without you (and the rest of the currently uninspired bloggers), I may actually start earning my paycheck.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 22, 2011 4:04:35 PM

but... quiet isn't ALL bad...

Posted by: britac | Nov 22, 2011 7:48:52 PM

It's okay. We'll wait.

:-)

Posted by: Mark | Nov 22, 2011 8:47:45 PM

Welcome to the club! My latest post is somewhat similar to yours.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Nov 22, 2011 10:09:41 PM

What can I say, I last posted 3 or 4 years ago.

I hope that you will feel lighter and that your Muse returns, I shall sorely miss your jazzy frumness, or should it be frum jazziness, your daily travels through the Judean Hills,and news of your family.

It was my pleasure to speak with you on your monumental All-Israel Birthday Ride.

Rest, recuperate, and, hopefully you'll want to communicate again.

Posted by: chairwoman | Nov 23, 2011 5:28:47 AM

I know how that goes. Every now and then I fall into my own funk which eventually leads to funkytown where we all do the hustle.

How about humming a few bars of Schnappi the Krokodil or something like that. Hang in there. It will pass.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 23, 2011 7:02:21 AM

Still looking for that elusive muse? She's out there, you know, under the dinner plate of a family meal, in the footsteps of a tabby cat, in covey of birds on a sidewalk, in the fevered firings of neurons coming out of storage mode...

she'll be back.

we're waiting.

oh. yeah. waiting.

MC

Posted by: mostly cajun | Nov 23, 2011 6:01:44 PM

David - return whenever, blog whatever - but look after yourself, first.

Posted by: Ellis | Nov 23, 2011 8:11:38 PM

David, sir, the blogs are just fine. Just keep smiling and focus on your great family. Your friends in the States, would, however, like to take a moment, and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, and all the best on this day :)

Posted by: It's Full of Stars | Nov 24, 2011 10:15:09 AM

Hey, babe... You should go out and get yourself a kicky little pair of warm, shiny, red, and new leather boots!!! TOTALLY worked for me! :-)

Posted by: zahava | Nov 24, 2011 12:55:53 PM

I'd like to see David in shiny red boots. They'd go great with his shiny red scooter!

Posted by: quietusleo | Nov 24, 2011 2:13:40 PM

I can't understand your funk (only you and possibly Zahava can) but having one can help you appreciate what you do have and will hopefully make the emergence that much sweeter.

Yom Hodu Sameach!

Posted by: Aharon Fischman | Nov 24, 2011 5:45:28 PM

How about Zahava step up to the plate and entertain and enlighten us for a while?

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 25, 2011 5:54:26 PM

Thinking of you , Dude.
Hope all is well.
Just know, there are many out there in your corner.
Have a good shabbat, Larry

Posted by: Larry | Nov 25, 2011 6:20:22 PM

Been there... blogging takes energy to put yourself out there, so it makes sense you'd want to conserve your resources. Take care, rest easy and we'll be here when you and your muse get back.

Posted by: Chantal | Nov 26, 2011 7:00:21 AM

now.. would Trep be wearing anything else besides those red boots?

Posted by: shabtai | Nov 26, 2011 7:55:36 PM

nothing like a fan club to chase away the blues. i second the get more sunshine/good food/good experiences with friends advice. me, too.
bracha.