« You're doing it wrong... | Main | The first eggnog of the season »

Monday, November 07, 2011

From a wave to a curse in one year

Over the course of a couple of years of commuting to and from work on my scooter, I've become a bit more intimately acquainted with some of the communities along the way than was previously possible in a car.

For example, I smell the countryside (for good and bad), and hear a lot more of what's going on in the areas through which I pass.

There is a stretch of road not far from Karmel in the South Hebron hills along which I see school kids walking at a certain hour of the morning. Last year I become acquainted from afar with a group of young boys there who used to wait for me and wave as I passed on my shiny red scooter. I always waved back, and it became a bit of a tradition.

Yesterday morning it was drizzling so I was riding a bit slower than normal. When I arrived at the stretch of road where the school kids were walking, I saw that instead of waving, the small group of boys seemed to be shouting something and waving their fists.

As I pulled abreast of them and slightly opened my helmet's face shield, I heard them clearly shouting "Itbah Al-Yahud" (death to the Jew!), and one of them tossed a rock, which passed over my head.

I guess they are learning more at school than just reading, writing and arithmetic. So sad.

Posted by David Bogner on November 7, 2011 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference From a wave to a curse in one year:

Comments

Way to make me more comfortable with the whole "no crunchy outer shell" aspect of your commuting on a scooter.... :-(

Posted by: zahava | Nov 7, 2011 11:14:07 AM

Heartbreaking.

But as a widow who remembers wifely feeling, I'm with Zahava on this.

Posted by: chairwoman | Nov 7, 2011 2:52:58 PM

Their moms and dads must be so proud...

Posted by: psachya | Nov 7, 2011 4:05:16 PM

I deny you right to assert this.

So sad.

Agreed.

Posted by: Simon | Nov 7, 2011 4:41:35 PM

What a depressing thing to think about. The most fertile minds, whose earliest inclination toward others is that of friendship...brainwashed into visceral, baseless hatred. I pray that, someday, things will be different.

Posted by: Erica | Nov 7, 2011 5:37:47 PM

You really think they're learning reading, writing and arithmetic?

Sounds to me like their day is probably filled with: Remedial Stone Throwing, Advanced anti-Semitism, and Honors Propaganda (a.k.a the Skulls-full-of-mush seminar).

Sad indeed.

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 7, 2011 6:11:58 PM

Perhaps these children are reacting to the 40% rise in violent acts committed by Jewish settlers over the past year. Plus the fact that 90% of the complaints filed with the police are dismissed.

Settler violence includes routinely attacking children as they walk to and from school - while the police look on and do nothing. Like in this video, for example:

Here are some more examples of settler violence committed over the summer of 2011.

Posted by: Lisa | Nov 7, 2011 6:19:59 PM

Here's the other side of the story to Lisa's link. Just a farmer trying to prevent water theft!

Posted by: Toronto Yid | Nov 7, 2011 8:00:05 PM

Toronto Yid... Just ignore Lisa, she must be off her meds again. She thinks she's a journalist so she isn't bound by such trappings of democracy as the burden of proof. Innuendo and rumors are all the justification she needs to repeat something as fact. If I were to judge her by the drug addled, criminal behavior of the worst elements of the tel aviv club crowd she'd be outraged to be painted with the same brush as a tiny minority of bad actors. Sadly, she doesn't extend the same courtesy to me. Maybe we should be asking Lisa to apologize for the crimes of Anat Kam.

Posted by: Treppenwitz | Nov 7, 2011 8:14:40 PM

Actualy, "Itbah el Yahud" = Slaughter the Jews.
Being an old native Palestinian I assure you that the Arabs were using this slogan way before the six day war, way before the settlement of Judea and Samaria, way before the war of independance, way before the partition resolution.

Posted by: Ofra Leon | Nov 7, 2011 10:14:20 PM

"You've got to be carefully taught to hate...."

Sigh.

Posted by: Rahel | Nov 8, 2011 12:25:32 AM

@Lisa I went to your links and commented on the 972mag post. My comment is in moderation, but here's what I said:

+++

A 40% rise in violence against Palestinians — so says the “neutral” United Nations.

Can you tell me what the definition of “violence” was in this report? Does violence include the settler (shown above) who was trying to protect the farm against thieves trying to steal his water? I’ve seen the video and he is not the aggressor. In fact, he is clearly the victim in this exchange.

How about the U.N. report on violence against Jews? Did they do a study to see how many Israeli babies had their throats slit in the past year? How many Israelis were murdered? How many Israelis were killed or injured by rock-throwing Arabs? Or how many mortars and rockets were fired into the sovereign nation of Israel?

What I am trying to point out is that you present a wholly one-sided argument here. How can you compare Israelis throwing rocks or uprooting olive trees to the Islamic Jihadists who strap bombs on themselves and walk into crowded shopping centers? Or how the “Palestinian side” denies the right of Israel to exist? I don’t see Israelis screaming “death to Arabs”. but I see Arabs doing it on TV almost every week. I see Palestinian supporters in the US who hold up signs saying “God Bless Hitler”. How can any reasonably intelligent person support someone who idealizes Adolf Hitler?

Until both sides can agree to the others’ right to existence, there will continue to be skirmishes. There will be escalations and times of relative peace, but I don’t see any meaningful peace negotiations until the Arabs accept Israel. I’m sorry, but in my view, Israel is not to blame for the lack of peace in the Middle East.

+++

Let's see if they have the guts to post it, or if it conveniently gets lost in liberal moderation.

PJ

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 9, 2011 12:38:41 AM

ProphetJoe - re the radical lib blogs -

They want the truth?

THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

There. I feel better now.

Posted by: psachya | Nov 10, 2011 3:53:55 AM

@Psachya: they *did* actually publish my comment (good for them!) and here are the 2 responses I got:

Laila wrote: "Prophet Joe,
you don’t see Israeli screaming death to Arabs because you choose to conveniently turn your head somewhere else, possibly with your small fingers in your ears.
Try visiting Hebron with the Breaking the Silence tour with eyes and ears open. A simple search on you tube might also help."

and Lisa Goldman (the same Lisa from above, I'm guessing) wrote: "BTW, Prophet Joe, the video does not show a settler saving ‘his’ water. It shows a settler attacking a Palestinian farmer who is drawing water from a well on his own land.
Your comment is just… sad, really."

So I wrote this response:

+++
@Laila: I'm confident there are ultra-conservative Israelis who shout "death to Arabs" or something similar, but I see it as coming from the edge of society -- the extremists. I don't see the Israeli government ranting on TV about building nuclear weapons so they can rid the world of Arabs. The same does not appear true in the reverse -- Iran has repeatedly talked about wiping Israel "off the map" and the jubilant celebration of terrorist acts seems very "mainstream" in the Arab world. You need to look at the actions of BOTH sides -- do you see Jews wearing bomb vests and strolling into the Dome of the Rock and blowing up Muslims? I am, admittedly, an American with no Middle East ties, but I have not seen these acts -- not even on YouTube. Why is it we see Muslims do it with some frequency? Lastly, why on earth would you assert that I have small fingers? Please respond with facts I can verify and not name calling/insults. If you want to persuade independent thinkers, show us proof.

@Lisa: You claim the video shows an Israeli settler attacking a Palestinian farmer... IsraeliNationalNews.com (Arutz Sheva) describes it differently in this article: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/142585#.TrtMOFb6PlY I've heard of Arutz Sheva. I understand you're one of the co-founders of 972mag.com -- until yesterday I'd never heard of you, so you'll excuse me if I don't take your word for it. Can you cite a few other mainstream Israeli News agencies which classified this as an attack of a Palestinian farmer on his own land? Say where was this exactly? The news story I reference above said it was on the Har-Sinai farm? Wasn't that named for Yair Har-Sinai -- an unarmed Israeli farmer murdered about 10 years ago? Did they ever convict someone for his murder?
+++

David: I don't mean to offend you or highjack your blog, so if I have offended you, please delete this comment,accept my sincerest apology, and I'll go back to making flippant remarks here and there.

Shalom.