« You Too [~DOH~] | Main | Who, what, where, why and when? »

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

We all have them... you know, those guilty little things we enjoy privately but would be embarrassed if others knew.

Oh get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm talking about those songs that come on the radio during our commute, that if someone else was with us, we would instantly switch stations or skip tracks. But if we are alone, we not only leave the song on... but we might even start singing along!

Confession is good for the soul. Here, I'll get the ball rolling:

Over the past few mornings on my ride to work, I admit to singing along to the following songs (and enjoyng myself immensely):

1. She Blinded Me With Science (Thomas Dolby)
  2. My Name Is Luca (Suzanne Vega)
  3. Hot, Hot, Hot (Buster Poindexter)
  4. Kung Foo Fighting (Carl Douglas)
  5. [Domo Arigato] Mr. Roboto (Styx)

There. I feel better now.

Your turn...

Posted by David Bogner on June 30, 2011 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Guilty Pleasures:

Comments

Well, Trepp, I remember all of those songs, but I must admit I enjoy the "gutter" things much more! ;-)

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Jun 30, 2011 3:36:22 PM

6. Crazy Train (Ozzy Osborne)
7. In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)
8. Enter Sandman (Metallica)

Posted by: Tehillah Hessler | Jun 30, 2011 4:36:22 PM

David,

Israel's roads must be good for singing. In autumn my choir is having a concert (Haydn's "Schöpfung" / engl. Creation). Sounds great but Haydn does not deserve me. Anyway, since a week I'm in Israel, every day having a 40 Minutes trip to work and back again. Enough to sing my parts two times a day. I'm getting better every day, and our conductor will recognize the difference when I return, but surely I'll not pick up anyone stopping cars for a ride...

Enjoy your singing.
Kurt.

Posted by: Kurt | Jun 30, 2011 4:57:19 PM

Damn - Now got 'Hot, Hot, Hot' going through my head!

Guilty secrets must include Billy Idol's 'White Wedding'
Helen Reddy's 'I am Woman'
Village People 'Go West'

I'll get my coat :)

Posted by: chairwoman | Jun 30, 2011 8:21:00 PM

Ahhhhh! I so LOVE being old! I am singing all of those songs with shameless delight! (My sons are leaving the room... but this is their problem.) Avi tells me I'll have to remind him to put on his pants in less than 10 years. Talk about guilty pleasures...

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Jun 30, 2011 8:44:58 PM

1) Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood
2) מוש בן ארי - סתכל לי בעיניים
3) Madness - One Step Beyond

Posted by: נחום | Jun 30, 2011 9:32:33 PM

Nothing more enjoyable when I am in the car than to catch one of those 80's songs that brings back a lot of memories.

To your list I have to add

Don't you want me, by the Human League. that one can have me screaming the don't you want me baby, don't you want me ooh ooohh ooohh at the top of my lungs.

Posted by: David S. | Jun 30, 2011 9:39:54 PM

I sit in an open plan office and opposite our "accounts dept". She and I have sung our way through most of the hits of the 1970's/80's and 90's and half of Gilbert and Sullivan (as in we can only remember half of the lyrics). It makes for an interesting day.

Posted by: Kiwi Noa | Jun 30, 2011 10:20:45 PM

Have you ever noticed this type of music playing in the background of a shopping experience in an ultra religious neighborhood? The first time I did, I was shocked. Imagine hearing "Stairway to Heaven" (Led Zeppelin) while shopping for a new kiddush cup! And then there are the shops where the Israelis are singing along but have no idea what they're saying!

Tonight my son & I enjoyed a snack at Aroma in our local mall where rap music was playing loudly enough for us to understand the words. My 10-year-old turned to me with an embarrassed look on his face and said, "Mom, I guess they [store owners/workers] don't understand what those guys are saying". Ah, Israel's obsession with all things American...

Posted by: Tehillah Hessler | Jun 30, 2011 11:37:15 PM

How about 'Our House' by Madness, or 'Things Can Only Get Better' by Howard Jones?

Posted by: JK | Jul 1, 2011 3:34:19 PM

My guilty Song Pleasure? "Macarthur Park," an overblown epic with ridiculous lyrics, a jazzy Mid-1960's instrumental break, and bravura vocals by Richard Harris hizzownself. It's so bad, it's good.

Posted by: Elisson | Jul 1, 2011 4:59:14 PM

Now singing 'MacArthur Park'

*And we'll never have that recipe agaaiinn!*

Posted by: chairwoman | Jul 1, 2011 9:10:08 PM

Anything by Weird Al Yankovic (up to the mid 90s, I haven't been following for a while). And if I hear one of the songs he parodied on the radio, I'll sing it his way. So if "I love Rock n' Roll" comes on, I'll sing "I love Rocky Road."

Posted by: JDMDad | Jul 1, 2011 11:40:11 PM

David, I have but one word for you:

SCIENCE!!!

There. My work here is done.

Posted by: psachya | Jul 5, 2011 1:16:56 AM

And for some reason, the song going through my head right now is "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" by Timbuk3. What that says about me, I don't even want to know.

Posted by: psachya | Jul 5, 2011 1:20:28 AM