« 20/20 Hindsight - a Public Service Announcement | Main | Pondering... »

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Clash

Thank you for your kind comments and emails. I am resting comfortably (but acting like a huge baby... ask Zahava).

First of all, let's have a big hand for Nyquil. It may not be capable of curing a damned thing, but it sure does a hell of a job managing the symptoms while you're sick.

Then there's soup.

Luckily Zahava hails from solid Russian stock, and has hardwired into her DNA the instinct to hoard gallons of soup in the freezer... y'know, in case the local Cossacks decide to throw a pogrom. Mmmmmm... plenty of chicken or tomato cabbage soup in my immediate future.

Add to that the big gun Tamiflu, and I'm just waiting for the storm to pass.

But bed rest, snake oil, soup and drugs aside, everyone knows that the real secret to getting better is appropriate sickbed attire.

Mine consists of a ratty old flannel LL Bean shirt in Royal Stewart tartan, and clashing flannel pajama bottoms in Black Watch tartan from Old Navy. Yes, the ensemble clashes dreadfully... but that's sort of the point. Sickbed attire is supposed to be made up of ratty eyesores that ones spouse has been unable to secretly throw into the trash.

Admit it, the moment you start to feel sick, you all have a go-to outfit that has served you well as a talisman against illness. And that outfit is as comfortable to wear as it is hideous to behold.

Posted by David Bogner on January 25, 2011 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Clash:

Comments

Heh, I think you mean Cossacks! Although hordes of cassocks would also be a scary sight.. :)

Get better soon!

Posted by: eloise | Jan 25, 2011 4:54:20 PM

Hate to admit how many $ I would pay for chicken soup and cabbage borscht the way my mother and grandmother prepared it.Hope you don`t get the hard cough that can last weeks. Be well.

Posted by: ED | Jan 25, 2011 5:17:22 PM

eloise... Thanks. On a good day I'm not a good speller, but with a fever I'm no match for the iPad's auto correct feature.

Ed... Thanks.

Posted by: Treppenwitz | Jan 25, 2011 5:41:05 PM

Feel better. What, no picture?

Posted by: Yaron | Jan 25, 2011 5:52:57 PM

Sounds really sexy, Dave. I really envy Zehava.

(Oh, and feel better. :-) )

Posted by: Baila | Jan 25, 2011 7:13:16 PM

then there are the few who just put on a mask and go to work anyway.

Posted by: dave | Jan 25, 2011 7:31:59 PM

It also helps to have mis-matched bed linens. I'm a veteran camp nurse and I always make sure that the mir'pa'ah (infirmary) stocks plenty of ugly printed sheets. Then I make up beds to look so awful my sickies either laugh or get better quickly to get away from them.
Re'fuah shleymah and get that flu shot next year!

Posted by: Nina | Jan 26, 2011 4:14:46 AM

Soup for flu - a very good way for your body to take on all those horrible germs. It is the culinary equivalent of Operation Desert Storm. Get well soon!

Posted by: Kiwi Noa | Jan 26, 2011 7:55:55 AM

Horrible sickbed attire, check; mismatched linens, check; but everybody knows the REAL secret get-well ingredient is plenty of old-fashioned TV game shows, watched from a comfy perch wrapped up in an old quilt on the living room sofa. Let's Make a Deal, Hollywood Squares, $25,000 Pyramid, The Price is Right; the older and cornier the better. Hope you feel better soon!

Posted by: bratschegirl | Jan 26, 2011 8:15:12 AM

Sick, but still makes us laugh. :) So, as laughter is the best medicine, refuah shlaymah!

Posted by: Jennifer | Jan 26, 2011 4:18:08 PM