« The things that cross my mind in the middle of the night... | Main | Sharing a short part of a long journey »

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Not exactly scooter weather, but...

When I got up this morning at 5AM, the outside temperature read 3 degrees Celsius, and the trees in the yard were whipping back and forth frantically in the frigid wind. On top of that, the visibility was so bad that I couldn't make out Elazar or Neve Daniel; the two communities on the other side of the road from us.

While I was puttering around getting the coffee going and setting the table for breakfast, I briefly entertained the idea of stealing the car from Zahava for the day. After all, the hour drive to and from Beer Sheva would be nice and toasty in our trusty Peugeot Station Wagon.

But then I started feeling guilty, because my comfort would come at the cost of Zahava having to walk to the other end of town to pick up Yonah from his after-school activity this afternoon... and then the two of them would have to wak back. By then it would likely be raining... maybe even snowing!

[~sigh~]

So I decided to suck it up and take the scooter.

My attire and accessories for the commute will be as follows:

• Wool Sweater
  • Wool Scarf
  • Thermal hoodie
  • Rain Pants
  • Ski Parka
  • Scooter Skirt*
  • Scooter Muffs**
  • Two Hot Water Bottles (for under the scooter skirt)
  • Thermal Boots
  • Ski Gloves

* A Scooter Skirt is a big, contoured, insulated lap blanket that attaches around your waist and protects your legs from wind and rain all the way down to your feet.

SS_install

RideRt

** Scooter Muffs are big insulated wind blockers that attach to the scooter handlebars to keep your fingers from freezing, breaking off and littering the roadway.

Muffs

Hopefully by the time I have to leave to come home from work today, I won't need something like this:

Snow scoot1

Posted by David Bogner on December 12, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Not exactly scooter weather, but...:

Comments

In the future, when you wake up and the temperature is a number that low, instead of wearing all that ridiculous getup, SMS me to see if I'd be around to pick Yonah up...right now (16:34) I am at home and would've helped!

Posted by: Noa | Dec 12, 2010 4:36:33 PM

C'mon... pictures of YOU, Dave! Not of aome model!!! Sorry it's so cold there... it's only 50 degrees F here and POURING rain...

It was nice of you to think of your wife & Yonah

Posted by: val | Dec 12, 2010 4:42:17 PM

here in Scotland we have had up (down?) to minus 20..........still have six inches of snow on my windowsill and a walk to the supermarket(200 yards) is fraught with uncleared pavements and freezing slush/snow/ice.....

swap?

Alex in Bonnie(but cold) Scotland

Posted by: Alex | Dec 12, 2010 8:03:35 PM

Thank you for not littering.

Posted by: Baila | Dec 12, 2010 9:12:49 PM

Long underwear will help. It keeps skiers toasty.

Posted by: Old Curmudgeon | Dec 12, 2010 11:30:15 PM

I know how you feel. it was 25f thurs. factor 65 mph wind chill. i tried a thing called hippo hands but still leaked too much cold. went to mittens somewhat better will eventually go with battery heated gloves

Posted by: dave | Dec 13, 2010 4:23:13 AM

us army surplus has an extra heavy duty pants and jacket made of gortex extremely water repellent. also has a liner for the jacket very warm.

Posted by: dave | Dec 13, 2010 4:28:50 AM

it was 25f thurs. add 65 mph wind chill it is cold.
I have hippo hands but they still leak. eventually will buy battery heated gloves. stay warm.

Posted by: dave | Dec 13, 2010 4:33:16 AM

I'm with Val...where are the pictures?

Hopefully we'll bring some warmer scooter weather with us from Florida.

Posted by: orieyenta | Dec 13, 2010 3:42:55 PM

I have a jacket and gloves that hook up into my Kawasaki's battery. Not sure if that's possible on a Vespa.

Posted by: Yaron | Dec 13, 2010 6:14:06 PM

You mean that's not David putting on his stylish scooter skirt??

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Dec 16, 2010 4:36:31 PM

you won't NEED something like that?! How could you not WANT something like that?!

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Dec 25, 2010 8:50:24 AM

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Dec 25, 2010 8:50:53 AM

The comments to this entry are closed.