« Svelte | Main | Four Israelis murdered by terrorists »

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Great Time-suck

Yes, the new iPad is a wonderful tool for keeping up with email, news, blogs, etc..  And it also is a fantastic way to read books, having access to not only Apple's own iBook inventory, but also to that of Amazon's Kindle.  So, naturally I have a few books all loaded up, ready to be read when I have some free time.

But 'free time' is becoming a scarce commodity around chez treppenwitz because of the new time-suck app installed on the svelte device; Netflix.

If you sign up for Netflix (the first month is free!) you have access to an incredible collection of movies and TV shows on a monthly 'all you can eat' basis... many of which can be streamed directly to your iPad.  If, like me, you live outside the US, the DVD deliveries are of no use, so the streaming selections are the only ones of interest.

[Tech Note:  To stream American TV shows and movies to a computer or iPad outside the US, you will need to make the source think you are actually inthe US.  This is not difficult.  Google the term 'VPN'.  The makers of the iPad must have anticipated Americans roaming the globe, jonesing for their fix of US TV and film, since VPN is one of the first things listed in the settings panel.   Anyone who needs help with this can send me an email.]

Last night during dinner I watched an episode of The Dick Van Dyck Show... and after dinner I put a few dozen other shows and movies into my 'instant watch' que so that they are, quite literally, a click away whenever I want to see them.

Sleep?  I can sleep when I'm dead.

Posted by David Bogner on August 30, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Great Time-suck:

Comments

Yeah, it's a great app... but there needs to be something created so that you can watch in bed without holding the iPad! Gets a little heavy...
but I'm loving that iPad something fierce!

Posted by: val | Aug 30, 2010 5:07:41 PM

Val... I've had the Air Desk for years and used it for my laptop in bed. The desk surface itself pivots so it is also perfect for the iPad too. I'm just saying....

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 30, 2010 5:21:23 PM

Just like Adam, you have bitten into the apple. Enjoy the ride!

Posted by: LakewoodFallingDown | Aug 30, 2010 5:52:44 PM

Does anybody know if there is an application for tricking netflix into thinking you are in the US for a regular PC? Meaning not apple.

Posted by: Ariela | Aug 30, 2010 5:56:46 PM

iPads are stupid time wasters. get a laptop. it props itself up without a desk. plus, iPads are stupid.

Posted by: Yehuda Miller | Aug 30, 2010 6:02:11 PM

Netflix- I know that affliction better than I wish. ;)

Posted by: Jack | Aug 30, 2010 8:10:26 PM

I am glad you can now use Netflix. A few weeks ago Netflix sent me the DVD (or CD) that goes on the Wii to watch movies instantly. right away I downgraded to one DVD out and unlimited instant movies. And last week my Avi (14 years old) found out that he can also watch movies instantly on his laptop (using my account). Fortunately he agreed to use my queue instead of his own so at least I know what he is watching ;-)

Posted by: David S | Aug 31, 2010 3:17:59 AM

yes i too am a new netflix addict.

Posted by: frum single female | Aug 31, 2010 6:25:32 AM

VPN also tricks google into thinking you're in the US. If you are using a VPN connection you can use gtalk/voice chat to talk for free to anyone in the US from your computer. They can't call you without an actual US number to ring, but you can call them, so I use my google voice number as my US number; it pops up if I have a message and I just call them right back. Totally free and a good connection too.

Posted by: uberimma | Aug 31, 2010 11:49:50 AM