« The sharp edges of our tiny Jewish world | Main | Israeli politics look strange from here »

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Some favorite things

A couple of things I love about visiting India:

Jasmine.  I love the smell of fresh Jasmine.  And it is seemingly everywhere in Chennai (Madras).  But best of all, here in the state of Tamil Nadu, many of the women walk around with fragrant strands of fresh cut Jasmine woven into their hair... so at the most unexpected moments, walking down the street, a waft of Jasmine will sock you right in the nose!

Jasmine 1

Masala Chai.  I'm not about to give up good coffee as a way to start my day.  But just about everywhere i go throughout my day I am offered a cup of 'Masala'; a heavenly blend of spices brewed with tea, hot water and milk.  You can buy Masala Chai teabags pretty much anywhere in the world which already have the spices and tea mixed.  But I plan on buying a nice supply of the spices before I go home so I can brew the stuff myself at home.

Anyway... it's been a long few days and I need to get to bed.  Maybe I'll call room service for a last cup of Chai before bed.

Posted by David Bogner on August 3, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Some favorite things:

Comments

Masala Chai... one of the little delights. Give me some masala chai and lamb vindaloo, and all is right with the world.

Travel safely, my friend.

Posted by: Elisson | Aug 3, 2010 8:42:49 PM

masala chai, puri, vegetarian tali plates, kulfi, lassi...........sigh, wonderful India!

Posted by: Kiwi Noa | Aug 3, 2010 9:46:31 PM

Thank you for sharing beautiful things.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Aug 3, 2010 9:54:33 PM

Masala chai sounds nice, even to the coffee drinker in me.

Posted by: Ilana-Davitata | Aug 4, 2010 11:07:51 PM

My first experience with real Chai was interviewing an Indian family in Vancouver for a documentary. The wife offered us tea, and instead of getting a cup of earl gray, 10 minutes later I was treated to a most aromatic, delicious, sweet/spicy wonderful concoction. I've been chasing that taste ever since!

Posted by: Alissa | Aug 6, 2010 12:48:32 AM

The trick is that they actually BOIL THE MILK and the tea/spices. Your English tea advisors tell you never ever ever to have the water too hot, and never ever to "stew" the tea. Indian chai apparently operates on almost the opposite principle; there are different ways to do it but it all involves serious boiling.

Posted by: Maureen | Aug 16, 2010 7:46:11 PM