« The lost luggage saga | Main | Back. Finally. »

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Shopped out and homesick

It has been great seeing family... but I am so sick of shopping that if I don't see the inside of a store for another ten years, I'll be fine.

Except an Apple store.  I want an iPad so badly I can't even tell you how much will power it is taking to wait until they release a version with a built in camera (for video calls), mic and a USB port.

Posted by David Bogner on August 19, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Shopped out and homesick:

Comments

Camera, yes, mic, yes, will very likely be in iPad 2.

USB port ... I highly doubt it. If anything, they want to go to all wireless connections someday.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 19, 2010 2:06:28 AM

Target and Staples and Costco oh My!

Posted by: Aharon | Aug 19, 2010 2:24:45 AM

Camera- something to wait for
Mic- already there http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
USB port- apple hasn't ever had a builtin usb port in any ipod so it's not likely, but there is a usb adapter

Posted by: A | Aug 19, 2010 2:49:38 AM

A: My iPod charges with a USB cord, so I'm not really sure where you got that idea, but you're wrong.

Apple can (and should!) put a USB adapter like they have on iPods in the iPad.

Posted by: Bryan | Aug 19, 2010 3:00:24 AM

The iPad still sounds like a feminine product to me. Not that it matters. The whole Flash incompatibility thing concerns me.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 19, 2010 3:24:25 AM

Must be a man thing :)

Posted by: chairwoman | Aug 19, 2010 9:38:29 AM

Flash? Who needs flash?

Don’t know if I was really appreciative of video-calls. Especially early-in-the-morning-calls, well… ;) But USB should be built in feature, yes!

Posted by: Piet | Aug 19, 2010 11:28:22 AM

Bryan - My iPod charges with a USB cord, so I'm not really sure where you got that idea, but you're wrong.

I think we are discussing a USB host not a USB slave. Like a PC and a Mac has. So, for example, plugging a USB drive into a PC makes it appear as a drive. But plugging an iPad with a USB adapter makes IT appear as a drive, not the thing being plugged into the iPad being a drive. Huge difference!

Posted by: Mark | Aug 19, 2010 8:40:47 PM

I agree with you about the will power. So far I have resisted...

Posted by: Ilana-Davitata | Aug 19, 2010 11:57:23 PM

First on the agenda is an iPhone 4, then a next-generation iPad with all the accoutrements.

Posted by: Yaron | Aug 20, 2010 12:14:37 AM

Boohoohoo, don't really feel sorry for you!!!

Posted by: Noa | Aug 20, 2010 2:54:33 PM

I got my iPad since it is available in Germany. I checked the specs against what I want to do and concluded that I hardly need a new fully equipted computer (iMac or Macbook)which I considered to buy. The iPad does the job 99%, and on top it does it anywhere I am. My satisfaction is still increasing. As an example, I'm reading now Moby Dick. This is not easy for a German due to the old style english, the amount of special sailor terms, not to mention that the author is discussing a lot of science and philosophy of his time. With the iPad any missing information, any unknown word is only a finger tap away. It opened a whole new world for me. This is just an example, I use it a lot for business too. Usually I've read my emails and MS-Office attachements before my company laptop finished booting. It is not perfect, no device will ever be, but it is the best available now. But of course, video calls are not on my list....

Posted by: Kurt | Aug 20, 2010 5:06:47 PM

I was thinking of getting the HTC Evo but then my AC unit blew out and needed to replace the whole thing....that made my choide easy.

Posted by: Jewish Blogmeister | Aug 23, 2010 8:25:44 PM