« Israeli politics look strange from here | Main | Passing »

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jetlagged

Flight from India to Israel landed on Friday... and the flight from Israel to New York (via Vienna) took off early Sunday morning.

The flights to Europe and the U.S. were punctuated by my excited six year old sitting next to me alternating between looking out the window and asking me if we are there yet.  The whole way.  No exaggeration.  Seriously.

Luckily the Austrian Airlines planes were both clean and new, and the flight attendants (who looked like the result of a Third Reich eugenics experiment) were pleasant and helpful.

We arrived safely at JFK but were less than pleased to find that one of our suitcases (Zahava's) opted to take a side trip to Amsterdam.  The lost luggage agent seemed just a little too glib with her explanation for this to have been an aberrant event.

We are now safe and sound at the family compound in Westport, and it is only the smell of the ocean and the promise of being lulled too sleep by the sound of the surf that are keeping me sane right now.

Posted by David Bogner on August 10, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Jetlagged:

Comments

Welcome to the USA! Going to be in NYC at all?

Posted by: SaraK | Aug 10, 2010 3:42:27 AM

Welcome! Enjoy your stay (and the family time).

Would be nice to see everyone if you happen to make it into the city.

Posted by: tnspr569 | Aug 10, 2010 4:30:58 AM

Enjoy.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 10, 2010 9:28:43 AM

Don't forget you owe us some feedback about your Vienna experience. Meanwhile relax and enjoy your vacation.

Posted by: Ilana-Davitata | Aug 10, 2010 10:43:29 AM

Book your tickets with American Express and enroll in the baggage protection plan - if your suitcase is delayed by even 4 hours, they give you up to $500 to replace the contents of your luggage! Shopping spree!

Posted by: Chana | Aug 10, 2010 10:52:41 AM

"We are now safe and sound at the family compound in Westport"

Sounds like a scene from "The Godfather".

Enjoy your vacation.

Posted by: chairwoman | Aug 10, 2010 2:05:57 PM

What Ilana-Davitata said... As far as the "Are we there yet" syndrome... don't you just love just leaving city limits for a long drive (or flight) and the inevitable string of that one question starts? /sarcasm

Posted by: Jethro | Aug 10, 2010 4:06:45 PM

We've trained my kids that the answer to the question 'Are we there yet' is always 'Five more minutes'. We were driving with my dad in the car (veteran of dozens of school trips) and the kids asked the question are we there yet? I turned around and asked them if they knew the answer and they all said '5 more minutes'. My dad thought it was hysterical :)

Posted by: Aharon | Aug 10, 2010 4:35:00 PM

I'm jealous: When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike through Old Mill Road to Sherwood Island. Enjoy!

Posted by: TzviE | Aug 10, 2010 7:13:21 PM

Ah, I spent many a wasted teenage day at Sherwood Island, and many an artful night at the Playhouse. I love Westport. So much so, I even found a part-time job there when I was in highschool. Who cared about a 30 minute commute?*

*Remember, I said "highschool." That would mean I was a teenager with absolutely no patience for commuter traffic. 30 minutes was an eeeeeterrrrrrrnity.

Enjoy your holiday and visiting with the fam!!

Posted by: Alissa | Aug 10, 2010 10:52:26 PM

Funny about those word associations. When I hear "family compound," I think Kennebunkport. Or Martha's Vineyard.

Not my family, needless to say. We're just a bit too, uh, Semitic for those particular enclaves. Must be nice for all those Bushes and Kennedies, tho.

Enjoy your stay! And yes, do fill us in on Vienna. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: psachya | Aug 11, 2010 5:52:50 PM