« Excuse me while I kvell | Main | Cool Concept »

Sunday, July 04, 2010

More Dairy Nirvana

Every once in a while I stumble across some dairy product here in Israel that completely blows me away.

A few years ago it was 'old fashioned sour cream' (Shemenet Shel Pa'am) with 27% milk fat.  And before that it was the incredible continuum of soft cheeses.  More recently I noticed that a new milk was in the dairy case (4-5% milk fat) that was being marketed as 'old fashioned milk' (Chalav Shel Pa'am) which basically makes regular whole milk (3%) taste like skim.

Well, this past Friday it happened again.  I noticed a new offering in the cottage cheese section of the dairy case that I'd never seen before.  Up until now they've had 3%, 5% and my favorite, a decedent 9% milk fat cottage cheese.

But now they have a 12% cottage cheese!

You know I had to try it.   And all I have to say on the subject is:

Oh. My. G-d.

And the best part... most of these higher fat dairy products actually have lower carb counts!

[~cue angels singing!~]

Posted by David Bogner on July 4, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference More Dairy Nirvana:

Comments

Sounds creamy and delicious and also a heart attack in the making ... but what the heck, none of us are going to make it out of this life alive. Might as well enjoy the journey!

Posted by: Ron | Jul 4, 2010 2:05:51 PM

Mmm, yummy.. And wouldn't you know, full-fat dairy is actually GOOD for you! Check it out: http://www.foodrenegade.com/high-fat-dairy-lowers-risk-of-heart-attacks/

Posted by: Chava | Jul 4, 2010 2:21:46 PM

I saw the 12% too and each time I picked it up I told myself I'll never be able to go back to 3% or 5%..don't even try it.

Posted by: Naomi | Jul 4, 2010 2:47:42 PM

Posted by: lrg | Jul 4, 2010 5:44:40 PM

Sounds good!!!!!

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Jul 4, 2010 8:36:38 PM

It is delicious. isn't it?

Last time I was shopping in the supermarket I has captured by the sample girl.(Luckily I had just refused a taste of that new skinny sliced pastarama.)
One taste and I was hooked I bought some straight away. Yummy!

Posted by: Esther | Jul 5, 2010 8:58:14 AM

That's interesting. I've been waiting for Israeli dairies to bring back 0% milk, and always get the lowest fat cheese I can. I really don't think I'm missing much. Still, chacun a son gout.

Posted by: Nachum | Jul 5, 2010 10:34:55 AM

i used to really like the "ta'am shel pa'am" sour cream, but it just doesn't taste like it used to anymore. i'm waiting for "ta'am shel pa'am shel pa'am. :)

Posted by: jonathan becker | Jul 5, 2010 11:19:33 AM

Yeah, I'm with Nachum. I buy the 3% cottage cheese and it still tastes creamier than I'm used to. I can't imagine how heavy the new stuff must be.

Also, it always strikes me as ironic that in the U.S. the focus is on low-fat this and low-calorie that, and there are lots and lots of obese people, while here things are marketed on the basis of a higher fat content and there seem to be so many fewer people with serious weight problems.

Posted by: Alisha | Jul 6, 2010 1:46:26 AM

Posted by: Alisha | Jul 6, 2010 1:46:26 AM

Wow. I will add this to yet another thing to look forward to for when I come to Israel this summer. Of course, since our entire community has been starved out of meat since before Pessach, I don't know how often I'll not be fleischig when I'm there. I plan on sleeping with some spare brisket stashed in my pillow, you know, just in case.

Posted by: Jacob (We Are Government) | Jul 6, 2010 5:07:26 AM

Alisha, it's not too hard to understand. In the U.S., portion sizes are way out of control and everything is jacked up with high fructose corn syrup, fat, and salt. People in the U.S. spend a lot of time talking about low-fat this and low-calorie that, but very little time eating intelligently. As a result, we've become a Nation of Chubbos.

Fat - in moderation - won't kill you. Our bodies need it. But I can tell you right now, if you eat enough of that delicious 12% milkfat cottage cheese, you will gain weight. A reasonable portion, balanced off with some carbs, is the way to go.

This just makes me want to go to Israel even more.

Posted by: Elisson | Jul 6, 2010 5:30:50 PM

"So, what you are saying is that Israel is Wisconsin with a better climate? Enjoy the dairy!"

I don't know why I loved that comment so much. Wonder if Nefesh B'Nefesh could use it in their advertising? I'm still chuckling...

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Jul 6, 2010 8:35:10 PM

My granny in Hungary used to send me up the road to the Cow Guy with two empty 1.5 liter soda bottles. You went into the byre just after milking time and got in line; when it was your turn, you handed him your bottles, he siphoned them full from a big metal can, and you paid him however many forint it cost at the time. And then you went home with a warm bottle under each arm.

Which is to say, it takes a lot to impress me with dairy. But I'm open. Two weeks and six days!

Posted by: uberimma | Jul 7, 2010 3:59:08 AM

Well luckily after reading this post I found they had B'Datz 12% Cottage at our local (Maale Adumim) Mr Zol - I'm in dairy heaven - thanks for the tip!

Posted by: Nachman | Jul 7, 2010 1:06:39 PM