« Ramallah: The new Casablanca | Main | A simple thank you note would have sufficed »

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Just when I thought I had nuthin'...

... one of my favorite people in the entire world (Hi Imshin!) sent me the following cartoon entitled 'Israel's aggression' that was published in Zurich Switzerland in 1956.  Things haven't changed that much around here, have they?

[click to embiggen]

No change in 50 years[1]

Posted by David Bogner on June 13, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Just when I thought I had nuthin'...:

Comments

I wish you could somehow get a hold of this book. My father gave it to me when I was a kid and it is packed full of very similar comics, mostly poking fun at Gamal Abdel Nasser, just to give you an idea of how dated it is. But it's wonderful and funny and I think you would really get a kick out of it, and it further underscores how things haven't really changed much in 43+ years (it was published around the time of the Six Day War).

Posted by: Erica | Jun 13, 2010 3:56:04 PM

Erica - things haven't really changed much in 43+ years

Things have changed a lot since then. Back then, America was close to it's peak (just a few short years after it), and was overwhelmingly dominant, and Americans still understood that there is evil in the world and that it must be fought against vigorously whenever possible.

Today, America isn't as overwhelmingly dominant, and there are strong forces that either support the evil in the world, or that are feckless and will never mount a vigorous defense against the evil that periodically appears to challenge the civilized parts of the world.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 13, 2010 4:33:16 PM

In those days we were on our own, better than taking orders from Blair, Obama etc

Posted by: Batya from Shiloh | Jun 13, 2010 8:30:18 PM

I love "So Sorry We Won," by Ephraim Kishon with cartoons by Dosh.

Posted by: Lynne | Jun 14, 2010 3:38:34 AM

תמשיך להתגרות בי, החיים שלי הרי באמת נטולי קשיים

Posted by: It's Full of Stars | Jun 14, 2010 4:37:45 AM

@Mark, yes, I definitely agree with you, for sure, except I was referring to the relationship between Arabs and Israelis -- that is what I was referring to that hasn't changed.

Posted by: Erica | Jun 14, 2010 4:42:20 PM