« An interview with my French 'Blog-daughter' | Main | It's a small [Jewish] world! »

Monday, May 03, 2010

Sometimes we need to remind ourselves...

I'm sitting on a flight to India right now... so until I get to an Internet connection, enjoy: And yes, I know this was made a couple of years ago. Everything in it is still true. Ooooh, another friend just sent me this (thanks Leah!)

Posted by David Bogner on May 3, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sometimes we need to remind ourselves...:

Comments

I've seen that first film, but not the second. I am curious to see the film they made from the footage!

Posted by: RivkA | May 3, 2010 4:23:40 PM

Posted by: RivkA | May 3, 2010 4:23:41 PM

RivkA... Me too.

Posted by: treppenwitz | May 3, 2010 6:20:18 PM

What's the big deal about color?

Posted by: K | May 3, 2010 8:54:39 PM

There was a film, a documentary, called "Photographer" in 1998 by Dariusz Jablonski about something similar. In this case, it was colour photographs taken by a Nazi administrator of the Lodz ghetto that had been found. The administrator, Walter Genewein, was an amateur photographer, and since black & white was hard to come by, being in high demand for news services and documentation, he was "forced" to use colour. His photos were discovered in the '80s and Jablonski filmed modern day Lodz in b&w, then morphed the current scene into the colour 1940s photo. It was incredibly powerful and moving.

Our perceptions are so affected by our expectations that seeing in colour what we've always seen - and expect to see - in b&w jars us, knocks us off out of our comfort zone. It's beautiful to see my homeland's beginnings brought to life in full colour!

Posted by: Alissa | May 3, 2010 10:04:12 PM

When we cite the achievements of the State of Israel in a short 60+ years, we should be wary of reinforcing the impression that Jews only began living here in Israel 60+ years ago.

Better: we celebrate and recognize these achievements of a short 62 years -- which could not have been attained in 62 years or 2062 years without a State, notwithstanding our long history as a people, our connection to the land and our continuous presence in the land.

Safe travels.

Posted by: zalman | May 4, 2010 12:41:22 AM

Very interesting and inspiring!

Posted by: Lynne | May 4, 2010 6:18:30 AM