« Another reason I love this country | Main | A Worthy Cause (IMHO) »

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Branding (not naming!) my Scooter

I count myself among the folks who are uncomfortable anthropomorphizing inanimate objects.  It's bad enough that my neighbor occasionally catches me out in the yard talking to one or both of the dogs ("Who's a beautiful girl?  YOU are!  That's right... YOU are!!!" [glance over shoulder... instant shame]).  But just because my scoot isn't worthy of a name/persona, doesn't mean I don't want to personalize it... maybe even brand it.

So being a marketing guy, I started casting about for something that had strong associations with things vintage, the open road, nostalgia... and of course, the color red.

And all of a sudden, I flashed back to the birthday gift Zahava had given me for my 'mid-life-crisis' at 40... sending me off on a solo drive along the entire length of Route 66, from Chicago to L.A..  On that trip I'd spotted some vintage advertising signs (almost certainly recreations) along the old road near St. Louis that fit all of my current requirements.

I mean seriously... what could be more vintage... more nostalgic... more evocative of the open road... and of course, more red, than turning my scoot into a moving Burma Shave ad?

TLV4

TLV3

TLV2

TLV1

Yeah, I know... a little nutty.  But at least my neighbor isn't going to catch me talking to my scooter.

Oh, and needless to say, as you can clearly see from the last photo, since traffic isn't my primary concern on my daily commute, maybe I'll fabricate a set of Burma Shave signs in my spare time and put them up along the winding road I take to work.  :-)

Posted by David Bogner on May 16, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Branding (not naming!) my Scooter:

Comments

David,
Talking to - and encouraging - your dogs is a NORMAL behavior for anyone who loves their pets, and if your neighbor doesn't think so s/he is obviously missing out on an important part of life! Branding your scooter "Burma Shave" is a little weird, especially if you're not receiving commission from them (aren't they extinct?) It's okay though, I suspect that all of us "settlers" are at least a little abnormal and this branding doesn't scream out that you might be of the dangerous settler persuasion :-)

Thanks for the entertainment!

Posted by: Tehillah | May 16, 2010 1:02:31 PM

great blog. and VERY cool with the scoot. use it in good health.

Posted by: jonathan becker | May 16, 2010 3:07:38 PM

thats just sad, man. its a scooter, not a hog!

Posted by: fred | May 16, 2010 3:30:20 PM

Dave has a scoot

Without a name

All he came up with was

Burma-Shave

Posted by: Karl Newman | May 16, 2010 4:15:18 PM

Check out the original Burma-Shave jingles here.

Here's one from me:

Should your donkey
Go astray,
See my scooter
Save the day:
Burma-Shave.

Now... please tell us... how did you get the logo onto your scooter?

Posted by: Rahel | May 16, 2010 9:12:58 PM

I'm betting the first time it doesn't start when you're counting on it you will speak to it.

Posted by: Kae Gregory | May 16, 2010 11:20:01 PM

A guy at a stop light

Picking his nose

Keeps scooter riders

On their toes

Burma Shave

Posted by: Karl Newman | May 17, 2010 4:14:20 AM

Tehillah ... Don't thank me... I'm a giver. :-)

jonathan becker... Thanks.

fred ... True, I may not inspire fear and awe wherever I go... but I don't wake up my neighbors when I get home late at night. That has to count for something!

Karl Newman... oooh, you're a poet, don'tcha knowit. :-)

Rahel ... Me likey! I'm seeing a Burma Shave jingle contest in the future of this site. :-) Oh, and I found a graphics site in teh UK that specializes in motorcycle and scooter art. They did a set of die-cut nyclon logos for literally the price of a cup of coffee at $tarbuck$.

Kae Gregory... Good point. :-)

Karl Newman... Better and better. :-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | May 17, 2010 9:01:34 AM

bahahaha! Love it!

And what's wrong with talking to your dogs???

Posted by: Alissa | May 17, 2010 3:51:45 PM

I agree with Kae Gregory. When you are on the road and something happens, you'll start with the "come on baby, just get me a little farther, at least to the next town... I've always been good to you, right? Don't do this to me! I'll give you a real nice polishing, really!" If that doesn't work, then insert a bunch of non-family friendly language. Luckily the one time that happened to me, I had a friend with me, and a tow service. Turned out to be a quick thing for the mechanic to diagnose and fix (and charge me for, which I happily paid!) and get me back out on the road. Oops, that reminds me, I still owe her a polish...

Posted by: JDMDad | May 17, 2010 4:00:31 PM

I would have thought Rocinante a better choice for you

Posted by: dave | May 17, 2010 7:21:17 PM

I like it! :)

Posted by: val | May 17, 2010 8:45:39 PM

Trepp:
Now it looks like both of my favorite reads on the internet have a thing for Burma Shave.
Please note the signature line at the end of each of the following:

Great minds things alike.

Posted by: Jonathan | May 18, 2010 1:25:35 AM